Slipping in snow/ice on Toyo OC AT III tires - any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Low range was probably the wrong move. We have a 2nd gear start button specifically to reduce torque for these conditions.

Also for others coming along reading this, do not engage the center diff lock in very slippery conditions. The center diff is better at distributing power evenly and avoiding binding on tight turns that can cause tires to lose traction.

No such thing as a magic bullet. No one tire can do it all. If you want good winter traction in challenging conditions, you need snow tires. Period. Then switch out to AT's for the rest of the year. I run the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and find them to work well here in Colorado, but we don't have a lot of ice here...

If you want an A/T tire, I found the Wildpeak very good in the snow. Ice is ice. You need studs.

And, lookout for the snowplow: once their blade passes over the pavement, they leave behind a nice slick surface for the unsuspecting.

The Toyo MTs on my 80 do surprisingly well in snow, but the Toyo RTs on my 200 are wearing down and aren't doing well in snow at all. After a sketchy sliding situation (almost wrecked the 200 😵‍💫) in conditions similar to what you described, I just switched them out for snow tires. I don't think Toyo's designs are great for snow with a lack of siping. At least on the RT.

I've had luck driving year round through snow with Toyo MTs and Cooper ST Maxx but that was with occasional snow storms. Now that I live in the mountains there's no substitute for dedicated snow tires.

VL9sjrX.jpg

j46JICw.jpg

Winter tires. I just put on Blizzaks.

Thanks folks!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Blizzak DM-V2 in size 265/70R17. They're available for $200/tire with a $110 rebate.

Can anyone here confirm that that size (265/70R17) is ok for the LX? Thx!

I couldn't find anything closer to the factory 285 width. The largest I could find is 265.

Thx!

The Toyo MTs on my 80 do surprisingly well in snow, but the Toyo RTs on my 200 are wearing down and aren't doing well in snow at all. After a sketchy sliding situation (almost wrecked the 200 😵‍💫) in conditions similar to what you described, I just switched them out for snow tires. I don't think Toyo's designs are great for snow with a lack of siping. At least on the RT.

I've had luck driving year round through snow with Toyo MTs and Cooper ST Maxx but that was with occasional snow storms. Now that I live in the mountains there's no substitute for dedicated snow tires.

VL9sjrX.jpg

j46JICw.jpg
Honda snowblower is more of a flex than an 80/200 😜

@turbo8 - The annoying slipping actually occurred at super low speeds, crawling in the traffic line heading into the ski hill.

Slipping mostly upon braking and trying to turn ... the vehicle wouldn't stop. I felt neither the antilock brakes nor the traction control. And no, I did not lock the center diff ... though I did try running in 4LO at one point, to see if that might help by having more constant/controlled torque.
Like @trailbreaker9413 mentioned sadly I think a lot of it is due to weight. I have more slow speed slipping on this rig (2011 LX) than my two previous ones: 2013 4runner Limited and 2003 Montero. I've always only run all terrains here in Denver and even skiing 30+ days a winter I've honestly not wished for more until I got into the LX. Can't argue with physics, it's just a much more portly vehicle. ~1,200 lbs more empty. I think there's only so much a good all terrain can do. I have Nokian Outposts right now which were fantastic for their first winter but this second winter has been leaving my wanting more. I'm debating getting a straight winter tire or trying the new Duratrac RT.

As far as the open country 3 goes, I've seen a number of people say the P rated does significantly better than the LT. Different compound rubber and much more siping/less lug spacing. But on the icy hard packed stuff you really need a true snow tire.

For the slow stuff I do find that using the 2nd start mode when in open center diff helps tremendously. We have pretty torquey vehicles and in open center diff the power distribution is a little rear biased. Most of the times I've slipped unintentionally has been caused by this. With the slow braking I've also noticed at much slower speeds sometimes I get no reaction from traction control. Sadly 4LO probably made your problem worse as it gives you a better mechanical torque advantage. Staying in 4HI and locking the center diff is the way to go. My rig is much more sure footed if I do.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Blizzak DM-V2 in size 265/70R17. They're available for $200/tire with a $110 rebate.

Can anyone here confirm that that size (265/70R17) is ok for the LX? Thx!

I couldn't find anything closer to the factory 285 width. The largest I could find is 265.

They are .1 taller, and .8 skinner than stock 285/60/R18. Skinnier is actually better for snow (dig in, rather than float).

There is no replacement for winter tires unfortunately, get a set of bridgstone blizzacks and call it a day. I have blizzacks on all my vehicles and they work amazing best performing winter tire in my opinion.

Strange, I run the OC ATIII and they have performed very well on my LC’s in the PNW (ID, MT, OR). Have you played with tire pressure, and what is your driving style? No matter how good the tire is, snow and ice are difficult conditions and you have to alter your driving style. That’s not a dig, so please don’t take it as such.

Good luck!

Strange, I run the OC ATIII and they have performed very well on my LC’s in the PNW (ID, MT, OR).

Mine did extremely well in Colorado last year too. LT285/70R17

Yeah, I think there are too many variables to infer much from any single experience. I run KO2s and have never had problems in ice or packed snow. We spend time in the Sierras every winter. I'm running pretty wide (285/75/17) and never air down unless off-road. I don't engage center diff lock and really don't do much to change my driving. I think ATRAC does a pretty decent job and its pretty obviously working overtime on some icier sections, but I have never felt that I couldn't stop or couldn't control steering.

Obviously dedicated winter tires are best. The compounds on the KO2s are rock hard below 10f.

Hello from Louisiana. Would like to give a review of my KO2s from our current winter weather event. I will sum it up as "Horrible". I slid through an intersection at the bottom of a hill and made it half way up a hill before sliding backwards and sideways. The tires performed okay before the sleet and snow became packed. I reduced air pressure to 20 psi which helped some. I drove the same route with my wife's GX equipped with the stock Michelin Latitudes and it was night and day difference. Additionally, I drove my 2020 2wd work Tahoe equipped with Goodyear EagIe RSAs on the same roads and they out performed my 200 series in 4WD. I do realize they are AT tires, but would agree with 1world1love that the rubber compound changes as the temps change. The temps here were mid teens into low 20's. Additionally, I observed a variety of different AT tires on other vehicles that seemed to perform better. These type weather events are somewhat rare here so it is hard to justify a winter tire. Lastly, I am not saying the KO2s are bad tires as I have owned 3 sets, but I will not be driving my 200 with these tires again in these conditions.

Hello from Louisiana. Would like to give a review of my KO2s from our current winter weather event. I will sum it up as "Horrible". I slid through an intersection at the bottom of a hill and made it half way up a hill before sliding backwards and sideways. The tires performed okay before the sleet and snow became packed. I reduced air pressure to 20 psi which helped some. I drove the same route with my wife's GX equipped with the stock Michelin Latitudes and it was night and day difference. Additionally, I drove my 2020 2wd work Tahoe equipped with Goodyear EagIe RSAs on the same roads and they out performed my 200 series in 4WD. I do realize they are AT tires, but would agree with 1world1love that the rubber compound changes as the temps change. The temps here were mid teens into low 20's. Additionally, I observed a variety of different AT tires on other vehicles that seemed to perform better. These type weather events are somewhat rare here so it is hard to justify a winter tire. Lastly, I am not saying the KO2s are bad tires as I have owned 3 sets, but I will not be driving my 200 with these tires again in these conditions.
Dang, we've had very different experiences on KO2s. Good to hear the slipping and sliding was under benign circumstances at least.

Great feedback and it's especially useful to have relative comparisons. Sure, they are not exactly the same car, but still useful information under very similar conditions.

There's been enough comparisons and feedback over the years that your experience generally aligns with most qualitative feedback. The KO2 compound is stiffer, tailored for more BAJA like focuses. It's just okay in snow and rain. Falken A/T3Ws (now A/T4Ws) and Toyo AT3s have rain and cold weather focuses in their described design, that give them just a bit more capability in those environments. In my mind All Terrain means everything, and I want broad competency without real gaps in capability, which is why I've sought those tires.

BFG is not standing still though. With the KO3s out (in limited sizes), I'm eager to hear what they will do. BFG describes improved wet weather driving performance. Includes a three-peak mountain snowflake severe weather rating designation, too

Just took my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's up for a ski day over our arctic weekend. Temps in the negative single digits, roads mostly packed snow or ice, some loose non-packed snow here and there, no pavement to be seen. They were really good! In many hours of driving in awful conditions, I only lost traction when I did it on purpose :hillbilly: After 3 sets of tires (admittedly not great ones: Nitto Terra Grappler, Cooper AT3, Michelin car tires that came on it) this is the first time I've ever considered the 200 a good snow driver. No regrets at all with brand or size choice (35x12.5). They're still newish, so we'll see how they hold up, but this is the best all-around tire for a multi-use offroader I think I've ever owned based on the first few months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom