Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doing a bit of multi tasking also building a pull along camp trailer, this shot is the tongue reinforcing where the bed hooks on, puts a little spice on the build.

View attachment 2720633
Man you know how to lay a bead down. The welds are beautiful. Sure wish I could weld Like that. I have never had a weld fail but they usually look like boogers 🤔:bang:

Man you know how to lay a bead down. The welds are beautiful. Sure wish I could weld Like that. I have never had a weld fail but they usually look like boogers 🤔:bang:
Seriously! So good looking. This build is so awesome, truly a treat that this level of craftsmanship and detail is being shared with us.

@47coeman do you mind sharing some settings and technique?

What welder?
Input Voltage?
Wire diameter?
Shielded gas used?
Welder settings for voltage and wire speed? (likely not useful to many unless they have exact same machine as you)

Do you push or pull the puddle?
Do you weld uphill, downhill, or both depending on the part and orientation?
What puddle control technique do you use to achieve the look that you get?

I assume you aren't using some kind of pulse control on your machine, and you are just holding trigger down start to stop and manipulating the gun to control the puddle and metal deposition?

Appreciate any insight you can share!

Last edited:
You could make one hell of a side business working on peoples rides.

This is by far one of the best builds I’ve ever seen.

You could make one hell of a side business working on peoples rides.

This is by far one of the best builds I’ve ever seen.
Thank you Casey I started building cars when I was 14 many moons ago, I am now 73. This is my last hurrah, time and money that is all it takes and of course patience to do your best. Even these days, I continue to keep learning it never stops

That there’s some mighty fine looking stitching. Could enter that in the county fair; it’d get all the guys votes!😉

That there’s some mighty fine looking stitching. Could enter that in the county fair; it’d get all the guys votes!😉
Ya this project is turning out pretty nice even the truck looks as good if you remember I got the 25 front grill from you. I have shifted into high gear to move towards completion on both of the projects still plenty to do.

Going to pick up a set of wheel wells next week, finally so I will be able to finish the 35 bed along with the pull camping trailer, I am tickled to death.
Today I put more time into the assembly of the Trailer with starting of the fender skins. Many things involved. I started on Tuesday with the head board and many pieces to the puzzle then today I did the final weld up of the many pieces after many attempts to get it right I succeeded. This afternoon I added the fender sides and floor. Still need to adjust and fitting but I made great progress and am hopeful to getting it done after one more setting or two. Always something that jumps out at you that you didn’t expect. Pics below you be the judge, and TNX for the comments.

AD66BB43-2749-4CCF-97DE-A3A9F987E469.jpeg

A3ED1E85-6FE4-4AB6-AF4A-F520D146E034.jpeg

7A0826C4-2F19-4E77-BAA5-A8120FF9891B.jpeg

Your work is so amazing. really inspiring. I am getting ready to put sides from a older import bed onto a new 79' series bed bottom/frame. Any suggestions on how to attack the teardown??? taking this blue bed, that the inside is terrible diamond plate....
1625845317651.png

You will need to cut all the spot welds and that will be a no thank you job. Going slow is fast making sure not to be forceful or forcing the metal to come apart. I use a little thicker than normal putty knife to separate the spot welds by tapping the handle end with a small hammer. Spot weld cutters can be purchased at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks the trick is rotate it slowly it will last longer and better control. Pre drill a guide hole the six of the tip or slightly larger before you start. Good luck plan on spending some time, as it will
Best

Last edited:
More on the camp trailer, previously I just had the floor setting on the frame that wasn’t completely assembled. Today I put together the center section and tacked it together. Making sure everything was square and measured twice. The good part I was able to pick up the long awaited fender wells that were roughed out but I still need to grind the TIG welds. They were in such bad shape but are all square and all the rusted out areas were repaired. Next go at it I will continue to finish the needed areas and keep you in the loop.

6FFA3C5A-DEA8-4010-A1D4-7697322F3539.jpeg

CF2FAD12-4EA6-4559-AE06-2250D7CA3910.jpeg

347C4206-39CD-4C10-B12E-EE69021F73A7.jpeg

292BFE30-6508-4B70-BB13-1CADD1EDC8F1.jpeg

A few mor pics of the camp trailer, welded the hub spindle’s onto the tube axel and set the spring attachments and got it under the frame. Got the wrong size U bolts for the axel/spring plates and picked them up today now we are closer to getting it on wheels. Did check the axel placement with a plum bob and it is one inch forward of center as I expected, life is good for one days work. Yes

4153FA2F-9638-4F91-816B-A2D202CE971D.jpeg

244702EB-44AB-4FAE-A548-C6D4F28E4729.jpeg

A4DE5E36-2D16-4722-A2B7-C43B2CAF81CC.jpeg

23A9695D-47BE-4D65-BC60-E81A5FC4F895.jpeg

The month of August was a work month as well as a few in the future. I am on call for the school district in Sacramento to help in schools, and as you all know with the Cov19 ripping through them I stay busy helping the staff with what ever is needed. The good part it gives me some extra money to continue with pouring $ into the $ pit of my 2 projects . My Fj 45 that is being restored by my friend in Idaho, North West Diesel Off Road Is also coming along nicely, just about ready for paint. This holiday weekend I plan to do a bit of panel beating on the trailer sides in preparation of the final install to the camp trailer that the 35 will pull. The school work will come to a hault in mid November weather will be cooler and I will change gears back to the projects and get aggressive towards them again. Pics to follow in a couple of days depending what gets done.

After a about a month of being a lazy butt I went out in the shop today to reacquaint myself as to where I left off. Been busy at my part time job working full time 12 hour days and going to Sacramento helping with one of the schools. Cov19 is live and well in town. However I must get back on the ball and continue. Summer is behind us and cooler weather is ahead. Kinda hard to go out and work in the 100 plus weather. Anyhow plan is in place to continue and I have a strong desire to move forward on the 35 and the camp trailer. This rest or being away has made me hungry to get busy and complete some of the tasks ahead. Time off is good.

Last edited:
After a about a month of being a lazy butt I went out in the shop today to reacquaint myself as to where I left off. Been busy at my part time job working full time 12 hour days and going to Sacramento helping with one of the schools. Cov19 is live and well in town. However I must get back on the ball and continue. Summer is behind us and cooler weather is ahead. Kinda hard to go out and work in the 100 plus weather. Anyhow plan is in place to continue and I have a strong desire to move forward on the 35 and the camp trailer. This rest or being away has made me hungry to get busy and complete some of the tasks ahead. Time off is good.
I have had a bit of the Lazy but syndrome my self and it's got nothing to do with the heat :cool:

Hi guys, just got my manifolds and turbos for both of my projects my fj’s 35-45 as you can see the outside as well as the inside were coated which will help to keep the engine compartment cooler as the coater said. Another thing to check off the to-do list. Was In Hawaii this last week now it is time to get busy on the work detail.

3ECD73CF-6F12-4577-B64F-3F7CEB809769.jpeg

17AC6646-B1F2-4234-B477-C322D79DEB8A.jpeg

2054C743-FECB-4119-AE90-A27776C52F63.jpeg

Hi guys, just got my manifolds and turbos for both of my projects my fj’s 35-45 as you can see the outside as well as the inside were coated which will help to keep the engine compartment cooler as the coater said. Another thing to check off the to-do list. Was In Hawaii this last week now it is time to get busy on the work detail.

0F1F23F5-B24E-4E48-B998-096C0E1A0A82.jpeg

E633BAAA-E9D9-4C21-958C-0000BF868ACB.jpeg

7DB9A48E-B8B0-49AB-991F-22697AF8A38F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom