Since I'm sure it's never been discussed, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume you have that rebuild just about buttoned up, right? ;)

I would say I am very happy with my '94. I like the cloth seats, no roof rack, A442F, no airbags dash and steering wheel, and of course the TOYOTA grill. I also prefer it over the '93 because it has R-134a refrigerant instead of R12 like the '93 has and because it has the updated ECU. Also OBDI is almost too stupid to die, which is good for me.

My '93 is R134a.

The "bus tranny" of 93-94 is over-hyped and there is no real evidence supporting that it's supposedly better than the '95-97 transmissions. FF rear axle, better engine, (at least as good if not better) transmission and OBDII make 95-97 the obvious choice.

Don't listen to the triggered 3FE guys who will reply something about pissing in gas tanks or 93-94 guys who will say something retarded like their dash is better or something.

This argument has been over since 1995, the first year of the ultimate Land Cruiser. :flipoff2:
Wow, tell us what you really think :flipoff2:

I would say the jury is still out on the A442F vs. the A343 but my money is on the former as I had the same drivetrain as the 100 in my first gen Tundra and I don't think it was as robust. Let's talk in ten years.

The dash isn't better, it's just cooler looking and I would wonder how many later models have actual functioning airbags. How many of you have been getting those tested every 3 years?

The cloth and the dumber motor are what makes the '94 one of the best years, but these are all Land Cruisers, which makes the superior to 90% of other cars on the road to begin with.

(because the first few thousand engines came with that cool sticker on the valve cover - worth 5hp)

I would say the 92 because of course, you never really have to worry about HG issues, no ABS system, A440 tranny, very easy to de-smog, super simple and "dumb" engine (no OBD) and on a long downhill with a good tailwind you can gather speed fairly quickly. in fact it usually only takes me about 4-5 minutes to gather enough speed to reach 70mph.

I would say the jury is still out on the A442F vs. the A343 but my money is on the former as I had the same drivetrain as the 100 in my first gen Tundra and I don't think it was as robust. Let's talk in ten years.

The dash isn't better, it's just cooler looking and I would wonder how many later models have actual functioning airbags. How many of you have been getting those tested every 3 years?

The cloth and the dumber motor are what makes the '94 one of the best years, but these are all Land Cruisers, which makes the superior to 90% of other cars on the road to begin with.

but like Merle said, any 80 series is gonna be better than 90% of the other vehicles on the road any given day. so you got nothing to lose...well aside from lots of money and time spent doing maintenance, etc...but every time you climb behind the wheel, a smile will inevitably spread across your face.

93 obd1 is easier to cheat smog tests and the transmission has a slightly lower 1st, reverse and OD. I was lucky enough find one that also had cloth seats.

Personally, I think the 95-97 LC (not the LX) because there are more of them, they have the "latest" electronics and don't have the "custom controls" that the LX's do.

Can you explain what you mean by "custom controls"?

My post was mostly meant in a tongue-in-cheek way although I do firmly believe 95-97 is best. That said, completely and totally agree with your final sentence...any year of this great truck is a drastic improvement over any other 4x4 ever sold in this country. The differences between years are mostly splitting hairs at best.

Unless were talking about 91-92 tank pissers of course :flipoff2:

‘95-97 are likely to retain parts availability for the longest for anything not common with 93-4, and it’s an extra year of production for parts trucks, including stuff common with the LX450.

Unobtainium is not a preference.

Any one that isn't burgundy.
Or black...
oh god pls no.jpg

1515723289568.png

A 93 - 97 clean not beat on or unmolested one is my vote. I got lucky with a 97 40th. When you are cash in hand ready for a purchase be patient & troll Craigslist as far as your willing to travel for one. And again.. Patience. I scoped c.l for 3 months straight multiple times a day & my 80 popped up 2 miles away. I was first, I win. A locked 40th unmolested, bone stock for $3500 :rofl:

I used to have a White 91 FJ80, now I have a Black 97 LX450. Both are the best examples IMO.

This has been said 100+ times in as many threads like this.
The right one is the one you fall in love with. Anyone's opinion but yours is meaningless.

I have a lc450 and like it, but if I would have found a 96 fjz, I would have bought that too...my point? I like 80's, and this thread illustrates that this topic is a little like splitting hairs. Here is the magic formula, you take the last two digits of the year your truck was made, add them together and as long as it is under 21, you're good. For example my 1997 9+7=16

I'm good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom