Simple Q: Reconnected battery wrong but not sure where. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a total noobie to the world of wrenching so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I pulled the battery and put it back in today, but now the truck won't start. I get aircon and lights but no ignition. I realize I should have just taken a picture of the battery before I began. :bang:

Here's the battery "reconnected". What did I do wrong?

View attachment 3365546
Just noticed you pos lead clamp doesnt have a nut on the clamp. You cant at all get a good contact without it being tight. A poor conection will give power to the system. But the minute you try to pull any real current like starting the truck itwont do it. The same thing will hapen with bad grounds like we talked about.

With a bad conection it will act kind of like a weak batt, power but then just a "click" when you turn the key or nothing.

Not saying my s*** is perfect. I have a ratty old truck with 358,XXX miles on it. But here is a picture to give you an idea of what size and quality battery cables you would want. This is my Aux batt so it has fewer wires going to it but you get any idea. What i have is probably overkill but i sleep better at night.

Also you might notice my batt is backwards. I did that intentional. I wanted the Pos mounted to the inside and i wanted to run two of the same 27 batt in both sides. Not a 27 and a 27F. But just my way of doing it. More than one way to skin a cat.
I3AGlAA.jpg

The "empty hole" (crossed out in pic) on the ground terminal is designed to have the main chassis ground wire crimped in to it, but it appears that there still is a large, thick main chassis ground (circled in pic) that just goes to the bolt on the terminal instead of the empty hole.
IMG_5670.jpeg

Make sure that chassis ground is securely attached to the frame or chassis (i think it's below the A/C compressor on my 91) and that your positive side thickest cable (the one going to the starter) is securely fastened to the starter and not damaged. If you have no power at all, like no lights or horn or dome lights, check that your fusible link is still attached. It's a small black box with two ring terminals in it and a standard plastic connector (make sure that connector is connected) that's supposed to be attached to the positive post on the battery. If the fusible link isnt attached or faulty, you'll have no power. Wouldnt be bad to replace it anyways. I think @NLXTACY sells new ones. They look like this.
IMG_5672.jpeg

The "empty hole" (crossed out in pic) on the ground terminal is designed to have the main chassis ground wire crimped in to it, but it appears that there still is a large, thick main chassis ground (circled in pic) that just goes to the bolt on the terminal instead of the empty hole.
View attachment 3367371
Make sure that chassis ground is securely attached to the frame or chassis (i think it's below the A/C compressor on my 91) and that your positive side thickest cable (the one going to the starter) is securely fastened to the starter and not damaged. If you have no power at all, like no lights or horn or dome lights, check that your fusible link is still attached. It's a small black box with two ring terminals in it and a standard plastic connector (make sure that connector is connected) that's supposed to be attached to the positive post on the battery. If the fusible link isnt attached or faulty, you'll have no power. Wouldnt be bad to replace it anyways. I think @NLXTACY sells new ones. They look like this.
View attachment 3367368
Does the 3F-E even have the same fusible links?

@jonheld ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom