Should I remove a Leaf from Rear Leaf Springs for Comfort? HZJ76 2018 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently bought a LC76 2018 with 1 HZ in mint condition. This a UN Spec(May be brought from Gibraltar,Toyota).
It is fully a basic one. With minimsl electrics and a good aircon.

Right now the ride is very bumpy and harsh. What should I do to make it comfort?

I read in somewhere that removing leaf from the spring pack could lower the spring rate and my shocks will have scope to work. Because most of the time I use it as a daily in town. Very rarely I use it with heavy load. Should I do it?is there any guideline for it?

Also please share if there are any other ideas to make it comfortable for a daily.

7D0D4534-F751-43EA-BEB7-26C8FA2B1877.jpeg

I have recently bought a LC76 2018 with 1 HZ in mint condition. This a UN Spec(May be brought from Gibraltar,Toyota).
It is fully a basic one. With minimsl electrics and a good aircon.

Right now the ride is very bumpy and harsh. What should I do to make it comfort?

I read in somewhere that removing leaf from the spring pack could lower the spring rate and my shocks will have scope to work. Because most of the time I use it as a daily in town. Very rarely I use it with heavy load. Should I do it?is there any guideline for it?

Also please share if there are any other ideas to make it comfortable for a daily.
If you’ll read the ‘MUD guidelines (Page 4, paragraph 3, subsection 2A) you will see that a photograph of your Land Cruiser is required before you can submit a question. 😁

absolutely remove leaves as needed, no matter the brand of suspension you have you'll see doubled up leaves of same or similar length, most of the time there will be two pairs of doubled leaves, i would say you could remove two leaves from your spring pack (one from each doubled pair) and be good. you will loose some ride height but thats how it works.

also, depending on the shocks you can make drastic changes in ride, the lower priced shocks in all these kits are all very stiff valved, you can get softer valving for a softer ride and still controll the suspension properly

If you’ll read the ‘MUD guidelines (Page 4, paragraph 3, subsection 2A) you will see that a photograph of your Land Cruiser is required
before you can submit a question. 😁
If you’ll read the ‘MUD guidelines (Page 4, paragraph 3, subsection 2A) you will see that a photograph of your Land Cruiser is required before you can submit a question. 😁
I really didn't know about this rule. Beg your pardon. I have now attatched the picture.

I really didn't know about this rule. Beg your pardon. I have now attatched the picture.
You are now in full compliance of all of the applicable rules. 😊
Love the 76 Series. 👍

Dobinson I think told me to remove the 3rd leave from the top. Can’t remember correctly anymore.
Mine is stock from Toyota. Its already 120,000km on the clock but still going well but its bumpy and stiff. I have attached picture of my leaf pack. Do you have any recommendations?

absolutely remove leaves as needed, no matter the brand of suspension you have you'll see doubled up leaves of same or similar length, most of the time there will be two pairs of doubled leaves, i would say you could remove two leaves from your spring pack (one from each doubled pair) and be good. you will loose some ride height but thats how it works.

also, depending on the shocks you can make drastic changes in ride, the lower priced shocks in all these kits are all very stiff valved, you can get softer valving for a softer ride and still controll the suspension properly
Yes this is exactly I have been advised before. I have posted a picture of the leaf pack. Which one should I remove you think?

that looks like factory suspension,,, no doubled pairs of leafs, you might not be able to improve much on those,, they are what they are.

maybe remove leaf 4, the one above the overloads and see how you like it. but thats all i would suggest.

that looks like factory suspension,,, no doubled pairs of leafs, you might not be able to improve much on those,, they are what they are.

maybe remove leaf 4, the one above the overloads and see how you like it. but thats all i would suggest.
Yes the thick one. But would it improve much? because its a overload leaf. How about the third one?

Will I lose lift? Any way to compensate my ride height?

Have you considered approaching this in steps? Your picture implies factory springs with miles on them which might be as soft as you are going to get
For example,
Step 1, upgrade the shocks to new high performance models. => test drive for a month
[If upgrading the rear bumper to provide better protection from other drivers in urban traffic and utility when in the country ...?]
Step 2, upgrade the rear bumper to a heavy duty multi-option model. => test drive for a month
Step 3, remove a leaf from each spring pack. => test drive for a month

i.e., Define a plan that makes sense for you and your needs, then follow through.

Good luck. Your Cruiser looks to be in very good shape, kudos.

You are now in full compliance of all of the applicable rules. 😊
Love the 76 Series. 👍
Thanks dear.
I got lucky to have the 76.
Have you considered approaching this in steps? Your picture implies factory springs with miles on them which might be as soft as you are going to get
For example,
Step 1, upgrade the shocks to new high performance models. => test drive for a month
[If upgrading the rear bumper to provide better protection from other drivers in urban traffic and utility when in the country ...?]
Step 2, upgrade the rear bumper to a heavy duty multi-option model. => test drive for a month
Step 3, remove a leaf from each spring pack. => test drive for a month

i.e., Define a plan that makes sense for you and your needs, then follow through.

Good luck. Your Cruiser looks to be in very good shape, kudos.
I think in its year of usage, it did't face any overload abuse. But you have given a great plan. I was also planning for shocks but thought I need to make the weight ratio right first. There are too much washboard roads and potholes in my country aswell as and south asian neighbour roads so I was looking for good shocks with valving corrected for these kind of roads. Which one do you suggest? Iwas looking into koni raid and bp51.
Agreed on all from @LDowney

I replaced mine with Old Man Emu. Huge improvement.

I also removed a leaf to level it. Made the back much softer at the same time.
Right. What is your current spring rate and whats shocks are you running? Recommend me a good shock with softer valving.

I think in its year of usage, it did't face any overload abuse. But you have given a great plan. I was also planning for shocks but thought I need to make the weight ratio right first. There are too much washboard roads and potholes in my country aswell as and south asian neighbour roads so I was looking for good shocks with valving corrected for these kind of roads. Which one do you suggest? Iwas looking into koni raid and bp51.

Right. What is your current spring rate and whats shocks are you running? Recommend me a good shock with softer valving.

Regrettably, I do not have a recommendation for you ... I have not dealt with the situation that you are dealing with.

However, I was dealing with the opposite situation a few years back; new'ish heavy duty OME springs were too soft for what I was seeking in performance. Since they were virtually new, I did want to waste more money on new springs so I opt'd to try overload shocks as an aid to the springs. In this case, I used my existing shocks to get fully compressed length / full extended length / eye geometry. With this info in hand, I searched several parts sites to identify shocks that met basic criteria
fully compressed length = or less than what I had​
fully extended length = or greater than what I had​
same eye geometry​
, then I picked a shock with inherent load carrying capacity to supplement my soft springs. It took some trial and error, but I selected rear shocks for a vintage Chevy pickup and they have worked well for me plus they were not costly (under $80 from NAPA as I recall).

Good luck.

My recommendation before you do a bunch of work and/or spend a lot of money on this, the first thing I would do is simply replace the factory shackles and rubber bushings. Just make sure the shackles are the greasable kind. This should dramatically improve your ride. Best of luck, and congrats on the new ride! :cheers:

I've always thought parabolic springs looked interesting, but have never tried them. Supposedly you are able to dial in your ride a bit better? Your rig is a beauty!

TT-TLC034.jpg

Regrettably, I do not have a recommendation for you ... I have not dealt with the situation that you are dealing with.

However, I was dealing with the opposite situation a few years back; new'ish heavy duty OME springs were too soft for what I was seeking in performance. Since they were virtually new, I did want to waste more money on new springs so I opt'd to try overload shocks as an aid to the springs. In this case, I used my existing shocks to get fully compressed length / full extended length / eye geometry. With this info in hand, I searched several parts sites to identify shocks that met basic criteria
fully compressed length = or less than what I had​
fully extended length = or greater than what I had​
same eye geometry​
, then I picked a shock with inherent load carrying capacity to supplement my soft springs. It took some trial and error, but I selected rear shocks for a vintage Chevy pickup and they have worked well for me plus they were not costly (under $80 from NAPA as I recall).

Good luck.
You did it in absolute correct way. But I doubt I am able to do that.

My recommendation before you do a bunch of work and/or spend a lot of money on this, the first thing I would do is simply replace the factory shackles and rubber bushings. Just make sure the shackles are the greasable kind. This should dramatically improve your ride. Best of luck, and congrats on the new ride! :cheers:
Yes I have missed this fact. I will do the maintenance first and see if they can work freely. Also as I am new to 70 series, is there any recommended shackles?

I've always thought parabolic springs looked interesting, but have never tried them. Supposedly you are able to dial in your ride a bit better? Your rig is a beauty!
Thanks mate. I fall every time I look at her.
Yes yes yes!
I want these. But due to shipping and customs issue I doubt if I can bring it soon. These goes so well with BP51. But it is a pricey combo.

If your going to replace the springs anyway first take that massive overload spring out. See how it rides. Then keep removing springs until it rides how you like. It will help you understand what is required to ride good on your truck.

Do not get parabolics unless you are 100% sure of the weight of your 76. You can always remove leaves from leaf packs, you can't do that with parabolics.

I have attached a picture of mine. 79 series that weighs in at 3650kg constant. Ride is absolutely spot on, though I am running kings for shocks.

20231031_193531.jpg

Also as I am new to 70 series, is there any recommended shackles?
I do not have any particular brand in mind, as I had mine custom-made for the exact length I wanted. However, there are many available online. I will note that on the newer 76 series, the hanger width on the frame is wider than the spring, so make sure you DO order the correct ones for your 76. It is pretty easy to tell, the regular ones are just straight, whereas the correct ones for the 76 are wider at one end. Here is an example:

I am confident with the lower mileage on your 76 that these will make a world of difference for you. Best of luck! :cheers:

If your going to replace the springs anyway first take that massive overload spring out. See how it rides. Then keep removing springs until it rides how you like. It will help you understand what is required to ride good on your truck.

Do not get parabolics unless you are 100% sure of the weight of your 76. You can always remove leaves from leaf packs, you can't do that with parabolics.

I have attached a picture of mine. 79 series that weighs in at 3650kg constant. Ride is absolutely spot on, though I am running kings for shocks.
Yes exactly. I will take my time. But soon I will be changing my shocks to see if that improves anything. Either Koni Raid or BP51. I better spend once.

I do not have any particular brand in mind, as I had mine custom-made for the exact length I wanted. However, there are many available online. I will note that on the newer 76 series, the hanger width on the frame is wider than the spring, so make sure you DO order the correct ones for your 76. It is pretty easy to tell, the regular ones are just straight, whereas the correct ones for the 76 are wider at one end. Here is an example:

I am confident with the lower mileage on your 76 that these will make a world of difference for you. Best of luck! :cheers:

Can I inbox you about how you custom made your shackles?
I just need to know how did you do your math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom