Replacing Front Coil Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just started a complete suspension upgrade on my LJ73. Everything was pretty much worn out when I got it few weeks ago. I replaced the steering dampener with OME and replaced completely dead front shocks today with OME NitroSports. Amazing difference in front end firmness already and half of the rock-the-boat side to side motion is now gone.

Now to do the springs. There's one decent video on YT for doing the rear springs but nothing for the front. Is it as simple as jacking up one side, putting on spring compressors and removing the old then compressors on the new to fit right in? Of course it probably isn't that simple but one can hope. Do I need to disconnect lower end of new shock and the sway bar to get the axle to drop enough to remove the spring? Anyone have a tutorial or step by step?

Once all springs and shocks are replaced (plus the dampener and sway bar bushies I already did) I expect it to drive like it's on rails and no more wobble like it was doing.

I don't know how different the pre-1990 front suspension is, but for the 1990+ LJ's it is pretty much as you describe. The job can be done without the use of a spring compressor, but it is much easier with one; you don't have to get nearly as much axle droop to get the spring out. I put the front frame on jack stands and pulled the front tires to get as much droop as possible before putting the compressors on the springs.

For full size 74/76/79 series open the sway bar and takeoff bottom of shock. Raise the frame! On a lift easy to get articulation to swap out and would be same on good jack stands. If spring are tall the center plastic keepers can be unbolted and rebolted.

The shop manual I have is useless - shows leaf springs not coils. There are no spring keepers on mine so should come out easily with a little bit of droop. I have compressors in case I need them.

Late and Early styles.
keeper.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-28 0815.png

Thanks for the parts diagrams. My LJ73 doesn't have keepers on the front or a sway bar on rear. Plus I have two different style shocks on the rear than what's on the front.

I have jacked up the left side and placed a safety jack on the frame behind LF wheel

Removed bottom shock bolt and sway bar bolts

Lowered the floor jack holding the LF axle and dropped it as far as it will go and there is still tension on the spring

I placed spring compressors on but there is crap in the way so I can't get them set exactly opposite each other

Looks kinda sketchy so I have not tightened up the compressors yet

Hoping someone has gone through this and can verify what I'm doing is OK and safe

Looks like I'll have to compress new spring 1.5" to get it to go in too (when I put it up against the old one in there)

Never changed coil springs or used a spring compressor so want to make doubly sure I don't screw the pooch and hurt myself

DSC01310.JPG

Last edited:
As long as you can get the spring compressors pretty close to opposite each other you should be fine. Looking at parts diagrams you may need to completely remove the shock to get the compressors on fully? Is your LJ73 a pre-1990? My front suspension is a little different, but here you can see approximately where I was able to get spring compressors on mine.
IMG_3779.jpeg

89 (see my sig) the threaded compressor rods end up running into the upper bracket or bottom out on the lower shock bracket. I can move them a bit closer together to clear obstacles. Yours are much closer together so I have room to do that too. I assumed compressors too close together would cause the spring to bend out in the opposite direction (not safe).

Will go slow and if it pops on the old spring while still 'installed' I'll know how much I can fudge the distance.

I had the same problem with the spring compressors running into the spring/shock tower. I think the compressors would have to be pretty close together for the spring to pop out. The lock pins on some models help keep the spring from coming all the way out of the compressors too.

Hello,

This is from the FSM. It may be helpful.

Components.

1701312082324.png

A little more on the procedure.

1701312156374.png

1701312215920.png

1701312251602.png

Hope this helps.

Juan

I think this is getting way more complicated than it needs to be. Are you able to get the front any higher with your jack stands?

I just jacked my front end up, wheels off, disconnected both shocks and stabililizer. Then I was able to tilt the axle one side down then the other and took both springs out without any compressors. I was even able to get the new ones in (4" lift!!) Without compressing the springs.

If the spring compressors are sketchy, or you do not feel safe with them, maybe get the rig up on jack stands a little higher so you have room to articulate. If the swing arms start binding on you, just disconnect them. Much faster than working with spring compressors.

Either way, I wish you success. :cheers:

Last edited:
Granted, if you're not used to using spring compressors they can be fairly scary. Even so I always treat them with respect, there is a lot of force involved and if things go wrong it can have big consequences. The earlier LJ front suspension is different than the 1990+ and the later HD 70 coil front; the radius arms have a different style attachment point on the frame (more akin to a Land Rover Defender) and likely behave differently when trying to get a lot of down travel on the axle. My biggest struggle was running out of travel on my brake hose, it got fairly tight when pushing the axle down far enough to swap springs.

I think my problem is trying to do this one side at a time. Right side is still on ground.

Jack stand is on frame behind front wheel, there are no good places to place it closer to front and doesn't extend high enough to place near front bumper. It isn't in an ideal spot being so far back.

Looks like I'll need to get the right side up and on jack stand so I have some articulation which I don't have with right side still on ground.

I'm using jack stands that only extend to 18" so I'll need to find taller ones to safely jack the front end near the bumper, then I can work with the axle with both wheels off and get some articulation.

Last edited:
Tried three local shops - nobody wanted to change out the springs and estimated $300-$400 to do it if they wanted to. And booked until around Feb

So I figured I could save a couple hundred and bought a set of

Sunex Medium Jack Stands 18"-29"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093NBQNA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
These are monster stands that I feel safe putting under the front and rear bumper frame area to get these springs in. $200

Heck, I can use them for the spring replace then sell on CL for $100 for a net output of $100 to get the job done. Or keep 'em

No way I can do this safely with 18" jack stands - needs to be up higher and not gonna fudge with blocks of wood, etc.

My dad always said "use the right tool for the job or suffer the consequences". I heard you, dad...

Arrive 12/9 so will get on it day or two after.

And take your tires off both sides to articulate the sides. I doubt it can be done any other way except on a lift.

Plan is to remove lower shock nuts and sway bar in front, jack up with floor jack under diff, place jack stands in recommended location (from repair manual), then lower gently watching the brake line tension then hopefully articulate enough to remove springs without compressors. Will do same for rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom