Should I buy this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1983 FJ60 in fair to good condition at a great price. I live in California and my hesitation is as described:

"I am selling as is. It was a CA Vehicle before being sold in Oregon at some time where the CA Emissions were pulled off the vehicle. I bought it and put emissions back on. Had it smog tested, and it nearly passed but the Vacuum Can had a leak."

Not nearly enough information to make a recommendation...and that would be
if the information was verified as accurate, which isn't the case.

Also depends on your location and intentions. If you live in a state/county that
doesn't test emissions, then it would be a candidate for a desmog, but even then,
desmogging makes it more difficult to sell the vehicle if at some point that's what
you decide to do.

The problem is that the whole vacuum line issue gambit can be cover for simply
not knowing what the issue is.

A LOT more research is needed to make an informed choice.

Also, what is a vacuum can? Do they mean charcoal canister? Because that's
in charge of venting gas-tank pressure so IDK what that has to do with what
the engine is emitting.

There could be 50 other reasons not to buy that Cruiser. If this is the only thing holding you up, and you feel the price is “great”... then you can always source the parts required to rebuild the smog system and pass emissions. Go ahead and pull the trigger.

As a CA resident and 60 owner, I would say don't buy anything that doesn't pass smog (before purchase) unless you like aggravation and hate money. You're inheriting an unknown bunch of issues that you'll have to deal with every two years for the foreseeable future.

These issues will keep you from actually enjoying your new-to-you vehicle. There are so many other more fun and more interesting things to do to a cruiser than deal with a failed emissions system. There are of course times that the fix is simple, but those are few and far between and usually get dealt with before the vehicle is sold for a steal.

Be patient... a good one will come along.

2F is a pretty simple engine. Although the smog stuff is a PITA, it's all well documented and there is tons of help available here.

That being said, it' all about your level of comfort and ability.

I bought an '86 that's not running and am confident that it will get there in the end, but I haven't even started working the smog stuff yet.

Plan on spending lots of money and time on it though. If you don't then you come out ahead!

I have learned that nice cars go to dealers and the bad ones end up in my driveway, the market knows best.
When no-one with knowledge about an item wants it something is wrong, sellers must then enjoy it when I show up: mr stupid, the idiot who pays to much :beer:

Just the bad thing about market rules are the market rules, no true facts apply and I hope you end up with a nice truck.

Looks pretty solid body wise but for 256k on the clock with unknown history I dont know that it is worth $3k. Like others have said, you don't have much on the history of the vehicle which means it could be more trouble than it is worth. I spent nearly two years looking for mine.

Well, I'm a little more sanguine than the others IF the truck has all the equipment there and there is ZERO rust AND depends on how mechanical you are.

You can get it to pass smog by scrupulously following the Emission FSM testing procedures, but it will take time and some 'learning curve' if this is your first carb'd cruiser or vehicle of this vintage.

But if you're a novice wrench, and unless you're willing to put in the time to learn (and these are the PERFECT vehicles to do so), then I'd pass.

I dunno - truck looks pretty good to me and I'd certainly go look at it if I were close.

X2 Spike Strip. It looks to be all there. Great starting point. I would take a closer look and negotiate:).

It doesn't look too bad now that the link is up...I can barely see the frame but it has
that tell-tale pock marking of medium rust levels...medium to slightly more severe.
Not a desert truck but not a "Costal North Easter" either. Rear quarters look good but
I can't tell if there's body filler in there without checking it. Looks legit for the money.

Ad says it needs a tierod...so it's not a drive-away deal.

price is nice for a 4x4 owner that is not the polishing type but 409600 km is near an engine overhaul (?)
tie-rod kit is a must anyway for every owner to be safe, the smog stuff I don't know but if it fails a few times you might sell it to a state without smogtest?

If it runs (considered as good) and not a lot of smoke it might do well another 50k, I would think an extra 1000 dollar for parts and no rust is a big big plus, but no rust is a funny definition.
Can you find someone to go with you to check? any old vehicle will have a few flaws so that is not the problem, the pile of flaws that are serious is (low compression, smog stuff, rust, transmission) the rest is just normal maintenance and when sold a new owner will appreciate the bills (tie rod, brakes, tires, filters, exhoust, etc.)

seller alarm: a small thing (20 dollar tie-rod) that prevents a test drive might indicate a broken gearbox (jumps out of gear, grinding, trouble, birfields grinding)
A tie-rod can be held together with a rope spanner so maybe a small drive test is possible.

That thing would do very well in europe as diesel road tax will be added 19% from 2019, kill the diesel is in order: hj60 year roadtax will be 3000 euro, fj60 125 euro :cry:

Last edited:
For $3k that looks good to me. Nice complete truck that hasn't been messed with.

As far as getting it through smog. It might be a bit time consuming, but assembling a complete smog system isn't really difficult. There are lots of people selling parts from their desmogged rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom