Shaky mirror fix 2 minutes 2 zip ties (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shaky mirror = the mirror wiggles in the housing because the mounting tabs are plastic and can break

be glad you don't have it

Shaky mirror fix gone wrong. My mirror was just about to fall off so I pulled over and tried to do the zip tie fix real quick like. got the zip ties and zip zip and the shake was gone, but the mirror wouldn't adjust anymore. the mirror was wedged a little at the top so I gave a little push to help it along and... custom mirror.
20141205_170520_zpseo15tf3t.jpg

Looks like I need to order some new mirrors. :doh:

I've done that once myself. You know you can replace just the glass (mirror), right? I bought mine on eBay for about $14.

Awesome fix! 5 minutes and done. Thanks!

Owned 80 since new in '97, had mirror shake last two years. This fix may be my favorite!

image.jpg

I don't even know how easy it was, my 10 year old did it for me!

Very simple, thanks for the DIY!

Great, I went to adjust mine and it was loose this is what I am going to do. thanks

I wanted to say thanks for this DIY fix, super simple, no shakes, and still 100% adjustable w/ my power mirrors. Man I love this forum :)

Worked for me! Only problem is on that mirror I can no longer adjust up and down via the controls. Manually works fine. I'll live :)

Just did this today, amazing. Still fully adjustable too, great stuff, thanks!

I was rolling around for the last couple of years with a piece of sponge foam wedged in the corner. It kinda works, but, this is way better!

:clap:I love the simple repair ideas ! I did the jbweld fix years ago on my drivers side. Now that the pass side needed it, I did the zip tie - faster and easier

Add me in as another IH8Mudder :hillbilly: who applied the zip tie fix to the drivers side mirror... Thanks Floridan Surfer..:cheers:

I was looking for more removable option (able to install and remove the mirror if needed) so I decided to drill a couple of holes, bend some nails and epoxy them in place. Sounds a bit 'jethro' but it turned out better than I thought and it was very easy. It did take longer then the two zip tie method.

Broken tab with the two nails
mirror1.jpg

Nails in small holes drilled in the plastic. The drill hole in the top piece was about .25" deep.
mirror2.jpg

mirror3.jpg

Covered with JB weld so everything is held well.
mirror4.jpg

All done and ready to be installed.
mirror5.jpg

I can't say how long it will last but my guess is over a decade. Well, I hope it lasts that long.

Might have to give this a try. I have now gone through two sets of pretty thick zip ties. They simply get old in the weather and eventually break. This looks like it will work! I will likely combine it with the zip ties and hopefully together they will last longer than a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom