Shaky mirror fix 2 minutes 2 zip ties (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had fixed the driver's side mirror a few years ago and it has held up well. I just now fixed the passenger side and made a YouTube video showing how I did it. I used swimming pool epoxy putty (all I had at the time) and a small bent brad nail to reinforce it. It actually worked out very well. Here's a link to the video I made:

I had fixed the driver's side mirror a few years ago and it has held up well. I just now fixed the passenger side and made a YouTube video showing how I did it. I used swimming pool epoxy putty (all I had at the time) and a small bent brad nail to reinforce it. It actually worked out very well. Here's a link to the video I made:
Congrats, you just made it like new. BTW, if you read through the thread, this method has already been tried - check post# 119. No disrespect intended, but it's the OEM material that breaks and will continue to break - just in another spot. It will work for a while, but what are you going to do when the hooks that your repair attaches to break? They're made from the same brittle material. The OP's idea (zip ties) bypasses (for the most part) the OEM's poor choice for material. And while holding the mirror together, has some flex to help absorb the vibration that is the killer for these mirrors. Zip ties don't last for ever either - what does? But, it's so easy to replace the zip ties when they break. Hokey fix for such a superior rig. But, no rig is perfect and functionally - this is so minor. Annoying yes....

This fix will likely outlast the zip ties. I have replaced mine twice. They get old and crack fairly quickly. I am going to try this and see how long it will last in comparison.

Another guy who needs to redo his ziptie fix here...not sure which route I'll go this time around yet.

Congrats, you just made it like new. BTW, if you read through the thread, this method has already been tried - check post# 119. No disrespect intended, but it's the OEM material that breaks and will continue to break - just in another spot. It will work for a while, but what are you going to do when the hooks that your repair attaches to break? They're made from the same brittle material. The OP's idea (zip ties) bypasses (for the most part) the OEM's poor choice for material. And while holding the mirror together, has some flex to help absorb the vibration that is the killer for these mirrors. Zip ties don't last for ever either - what does? But, it's so easy to replace the zip ties when they break. Hokey fix for such a superior rig. But, no rig is perfect and functionally - this is so minor. Annoying yes....

No disrepect felt at all :) And yes, I had seen that method on here before, just couldn't find it (or didn't look hard enough) when I went to make the video this time.
Since the driver's side on my rig has lasted so long with this same type of fix, I just thought I would try the same method on the passenger side too. I think the hooks are metal on the inside of the mirror, but I'm not sure. Thanks for watching the video, and for the feedback. I will post an update to this thread if this fix breaks, or if the mirror comes loose again.
Cheers,
Dan

Thought I needed to do both sides, but the driver's side had just bumped off the hook somehow, passenger side got the zip-tie fix again though, thanks again for the thread!

For those who have had zip ties fail, what is failing? are they drying out? Wearing through?

There are many types of plastics used for zip ties. You might try to find TEFZEL or HALAR zip ties. They should last more than 15 years in UV/weather. They resist acids, salts, hydrocarbons, and most everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom