Sell or Commit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the EXACT problem I want to solve. I've got 4 little girls, a wife, gear, 2 RTTs, and a small trailer I'm hauling. Not to mention a front bumper, rear bumper, spare tire, etc...

You and @White Stripe are making total sense. You better stop. Are you saying I should drive an 80 with an LS before I dismiss it?:steer:
All these comments are swaying me in a direction I never thought I would go. Now I just have to find someone with an LS swaped 80 near Southern Utah that I can bribe into letting me drive.
Yeah Def drive one. In my opinion in your situation I would consider this:
What is your maximum realistic budget for your cruiser in this situation? Can you even swing a motor swap? Then your not looking at unreasonable options. Also consider since your cruiser is still drivable that buys you time to save up.
What are your local motor swap laws?
What driving experience will you and your family be happy with? Some options like a 6bt may be too loud and rattly for you.
How long are you going to keep your cruiser?
How will this affect the cruisers value? Some swaps may not increase value hardly at all. Others will make it worth much more.
What are your overall uses for the truck? More cubic inches gives more low end torque. In the gm v8 category alone you can go as small as 4.8L and as big as 8.1L.
Also consider elevation your driving at since higher elevations take away power with thinner air. A 4.8L may be ok at sea level, but will be slow up high.

I am not sure now but the law was you could move any car or truck engine into your truck but it had to be the same year or newer, and you had to take engine trans and all smog equipment that that donor car came with. I put a 2003 4.3 vortec into 85/86 truck. so it has the chevy trans 4l60e the chevy fuel pump and computer, new exhaust but had to match the 2003 cat. Its smog legal in ca and the worst thing I ever did to the toyota. it should smog as a 2003 ob2 engine but they also make it go on the dyno because of the body year.I am sure there are people who love their swap. It has lots of power but is a pain to smog and You have to learn its systems to fix it cause no shop wants to go near it no mater how clean of an install.mine was done in 2009 . Oh and can put a car engine into a truck but not a truck engine into a car.Mine was taken threw the Bar station and is 100 % california smog legal. Again that was in 2009 I have not looked into doing this again. THe smog nazis changed everything so much who knows what the new rules are. I would go for the turbo setup on my lx but witts end has not got it threw the smog nazis here that I know off.

This is all lame right? I live 10 mins from Sand Hollow. Why don't I just go drive and stop whining?

I would love a diesel. Unfortunately I do not have the know how to do that myself or the funds to pay someone else to do it $$$. I think I have what I need here state side.
10 min from Sand Hollow....I see what is happening here! Where I go wheeling the locals have rusted out ford rangers with supper swampers. I come along and get all the nods for running a mostly stock LC that is clean for my area.

In Sand Hollow you get some world class vehicles. A turbo 80 has a bit of a cool factor and much more usable in the sand and open roads of the west!

All your choices are good. Good luck!

You and @White Stripe are making total sense. You better stop. Are you saying I should drive an 80 with an LS before I dismiss it?:steer:
All these comments are swaying me in a direction I never thought I would go. Now I just have to find someone with an LS swaped 80 near Southern Utah that I can bribe into letting me drive.
Just my $.02, but before you commit thousands to a 1FZ rebuild, find an LS swapped 80 to drive or ride in. It will completely change your perspective on this platform. My only regret is that I didn't pull the trigger on doing the LS swap a few years ago.

An all aluminum 400HP V8, 6 speed transmission, working cruise control and A/C...what's not to like? With four people in it, a bunch of heavy stuff bolted on it, rolling on 35's, the truck runs up grades at 70 mph without even downshifting. It's an absolute joy to drive now, and worth every penny IMHO. The swap really isn't that difficult a task if you research it well and have reasonable mechanical skills. :grinpimp:

If I could afford a R2.8 and do the work myself I would go that route 100%. I've done my research on this though and while those are great options for more modern power and performance, I'm a snob. I personally feel like if I rip out the 1FZ it wouldn't be a Toyota anymore. I know this is a touchy subject but it's just my subjective opinion.

My thought was a rebuilt 1fz-fe with a wits-end turbo is the best of both worlds. More power, still Toyota.
Once you do an LS swap you'll be glad it isn't powered by a Toyota anymore....!

This is the EXACT problem I want to solve. I've got 4 little girls, a wife, gear, 2 RTTs, and a small trailer I'm hauling. Not to mention a front bumper, rear bumper, spare tire, etc...

All I'm saying, is that if I knew then, what I know now....and if the LS swaps had been more commonplace or readily available, I would have saved a ton of money and had a lot more time enjoying my 80 over the last 10 years. note: I'm not knocking the 1FZ and I feel it's perfectly suited for a stock 80 from a drivability standpoint.

Furthermore, I envoy those who have no need or desire for extra power. I really wish I could happily sit in the slow lane and not care, but I can't, nor do I drive "fast". From your original post, it's clear you want more usable power. Until you scratch that itch, or until you have a total change in mindset, your 80's capabilities will always be reduced because of the lack of modern power and you'll always wish you had it.

I wanted modern drivability and when two eighteen wheelers are baring down on me as I'm trying to merge into 80mph highway traffic, I enjoy knowing I can hammer my LS motor and go from 50mph to 85mph in seconds (with full armor, 37's, etc.). In those unfortunate, but surprisingly common scenarios, I've found that the extra power has helped me (and my kids) get out of harms way.

Last edited:
I wanted modern drivability and when two eighteen wheelers are baring down on me as I'm trying to merge into 80mph highway traffic, I enjoy knowing I can hammer my LS motor and go from 50mph to 85mph in seconds (with full armor, 37's, etc.). In those unfortunate, but surprisingly common scenarios, I've found that the extra power has helped me (and my kids) get out of harms way.
My inner Dad applauds you. I didn't consider the safety aspect. The whole reason I bought this thing was to haul the fam around and camp. I'd be lying if I said we haven't had scary moments on the Interstate because we are so slowwwwwwwww. Thanks for the insight. Pretty important point you make.

My inner Dad applauds you. I didn't consider the safety aspect. The whole reason I bought this thing was to haul the fam around and camp. I'd be lying if I said we haven't had scary moments on the Interstate because we are so slowwwwwwwww. Thanks for the insight. Pretty important point you make.
Agreed. There's a lot of wreckless drivers out there who either don't care, or don't realize you can't quickly move out of the way. Nothing more helpless feeling than being a sitting duck against a larger, faster moving vehicle.

It has to be a rocket ship on the highway compared to a 40 or 60 series lol

Cruiser purists like to point out that they were designed for low to medium speeds on rough globals roads (and non-roads), not American freeways; but I think it's cool to see people using the platform and making it their own according to their needs/wants.

Anything's possible if you have deep enough pockets!

Around here the driving style is mostly "race to the next red light". I am very serious and important person, yet I don't need to get there only a few seconds earlier than I could have. Many drivers don't seem to ever consider the conservation of momentum, lower MPG and fewer service intervals, especially brake jobs to be of much value.

Can you swap to a V8 in CA as long as you also swap the factory ECU? Say you swap everything over from a 200 into an 80, do they check to see if the ECU matches the year and make of the body?
If I loved on California I think the best solution to avoid the emissions runaround of a v8 swap would to take a 100 series and solid axle swap it. Basically making yourself a stateside 105 series.

Completed the break in yesterday, did some on road testing today it was a blast!

Absolute joy to drive now, smooth and comfortable.

Tire shredding torque! This thing is a burnout machine, no joke, dump the clutch on first, toss it in second and it just keeps going!

Haven't tested it off road yet though, will do so tomorrow.

In preparation for the off-road test tomorrow, I will be installing 2.0 new Amada extreme shocks and a tough dog steering stabilizer, since KING shocks are out of stock unfortunately, checked with all local retailers. Amada extreme shocks are the next best option, since I tested them on my LC100 and loved the performance.

I will also be installing new 34.5 inch Maxxis balloon tires, since the current tires are old, expired, and in bad condition which is why I am burning them up, it would be a shame to just toss them out.

I also tested 0-120 MPH, got 0-60 in 8.73 seconds which is significantly faster than the old engine, that's even faster than my LC100. It has potential to get a even lower time, the launch wheelspin from the bad tires + me not being used to the long travel between shifts is what's costing me getting the best time.

I will take it to a Dyno next week and upload the powerband and results.

Videos & Pics:

View attachment 2824985

View attachment 2824986

If you had a manual and got used to the rev limiter ...

I've been fortunate enough to own various 80's over the last 15 years. Most were 1fz power plants, some were not. I've got a year under my belt with an LS swap now, and I honestly cannot see ever wanting an 80 with any other motor in it. If you plan to keep your 80 and drive it routinely for the next 10-15 years, this is the route I'd go.

I think most (not all) of the purists might be surprised how quickly they can let go of that 1FZ-or-nothing mentality once they realize how pleasant an 80 is with a 400hp V8 pushing it around effortlessly. Absolutely nothing has changed how much I enjoy my 80 like the LS Swap did.
You have just forgotten how fun the Turbo 1FZ was to drive. The V8 in my GX is nice and all, but I will still take the boosted 4.5 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom