Sell or Commit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you've caught up all the PM, and the rest of the rig is in good shape, I'd stick with what you have.

If you're deadset on turbo charging, and you're gonna do a full rebuild, source a 105series 1fz-fe head, oil pan, crank and cam angle sensors, aftermarket ECU, MAF, coil packs etc for distributor-less ignition, and piece together aftermarket pistons, head studs, manifold, turbo etc etc etc.

That puts you about at least $15k in the hole . . .

There loads of Aussies who have turbo'd various 1fz-fe.
If you can cope with Facebook, search for 'turbo 1fz-fe' there's loads of info available
The fact that I only understood 50% of what you just suggested makes me nervous to even do the rebuild myself hahaha:crybaby: You're right though it gets spendy. Lets be real though. Do we ever actually stop spending on our rigs? It never ends...

I've been fortunate enough to own various 80's over the last 15 years. Most were 1fz power plants, some were not. I've got a year under my belt with an LS swap now, and I honestly cannot see ever wanting an 80 with any other motor in it. If you plan to keep your 80 and drive it routinely for the next 10-15 years, this is the route I'd go.

I think most (not all) of the purists might be surprised how quickly they can let go of that 1FZ-or-nothing mentality once they realize how pleasant an 80 is with a 400hp V8 pushing it around effortlessly. Absolutely nothing has changed how much I enjoy my 80 like the LS Swap did.
This is why I will avoid ever getting in the driver seat of a LS swapped LC haha! I feel like if I actually test drove one, it might change my mind.

Last edited:
This is why I will avoid ever getting in the driver seat of a LS swapped LC haha! I feel like if I actually test drove one, it might change my mind.

It will. The reliability comment has largely been debunked and the LS motors are routinely seen with over 250k miles. No need to turn your thread into an LS debate, but the notion that one is trading reliability for a few extra HP is wrong.

OP is the Cruiser your only vehicle? You could always get a WRX or something to satisfy your need for speed while doing a top end rebuild on the old straight six. I like the look of the new BRZ.
I have a couple other commuters. The Cruiser only really gets out when its adventure time. It's got about 300k miles on it so I try to conserve miles when I can. I would love another go fast car but the LC is claiming all my funds right now. I really only have time to have 1 hobby vehicle.

Those of us in CA cannot put a V8 in an 80 Series anymore, the state won't allow it. Huge bummer, I'd love to go that route. That's a factor which will probably push me into getting a GX460 at some point. I can see that in 5+ years, I am going to want a more modern vehicle that I can tow with. I just want to see what's going to happen with gas and vehicle prices, and I'm still having fun playing with suspension options and wheeling my 80. It's a great vehicle, I just don't know that I will still want to be driving it when it's 35 years old.

Those of us in CA cannot put a V8 in an 80 Series anymore, the state won't allow it. Huge bummer, I'd love to go that route. That's a factor which will probably push me into getting a GX460 at some point. I can see that in 5+ years, I am going to want a more modern vehicle that I can tow with. I just want to see what's going to happen with gas and vehicle prices, and I'm still having fun playing with suspension options and wheeling my 80. It's a great vehicle, I just don't know that I will still want to be driving it when it's 35 years old.
I wasn't aware 80 series V8 swaps had grown so popular as to attract the attention of state regulators.. that makes no sense either since most V8s will be more efficient than the inline 6, unless you're swapping in big block or something..

It will. The reliability comment has largely been debunked and the LS motors are routinely seen with over 250k miles.
250K is just the break in period for the 1FZ-FE. Mr T just skimped on a bit of bit of metal for the gasket around #6. Save the need for acceleration for a vehicle 2-3K lbs lighter.

250K is just the break in period for the 1FZ-FE. Mr T just skimped on a bit of bit of metal for the gasket around #6. Save the need for acceleration for a vehicle 2-3K lbs lighter.
In my opinion the power of a v8 LS or 2uz is great as far as acceleration goes. But what really makes a v8 nice is when you need to haul a big load. You got 4 to 6 people, all the gear inside and on the roof, and pulling a camper or some other kind of trailer and be able to keep up with traffic. I run into that scenario a lot. My only worry is having the trailer brakes dialed in. As far as the 1fz, if you stay naturally aspirated you could port n polish the cylinder head during the rebuild which would increase power and efficiency.

Definitely aware of the 1FZ's longevity and shortfalls (please reread my initial post). I simply don't believe, based on personal experience, that the 1FZ vs LS reliability topic has as much credibility as the purists on MUD want to believe it does, nor does my participation in this thread aim to change the mind of any purists.

I concede that "to each their own", but having been down this path and having firsthand experience, my goal and desire is to pass along that experience. Not all will agree.

I don't completely disagree with your stance on buying a separate vehicle, but this is not merely about acceleration. Many of us here absolutely love our 80's. The anemic power and sacrificed overall drivability as a result leaves many owners not enjoying them as much as they could. My argument is not just about acceleration, but overall drivability. In my opinion, the LS outshines at low speed (wheeling), acceleration, cruising, passing gear, maintaining speed at elevation, etc. Not just about "racing".

That said, until one has notable seat time in a variety of power plants in the 80, all comments are just speculation. ;)

I wasn't aware 80 series V8 swaps had grown so popular as to attract the attention of state regulators.. that makes no sense either since most V8s will be more efficient than the inline 6, unless you're swapping in big block or something..
Yeah, John Ward from TLC mentioned it in one of his videos on YouTube where his shop was selling a vehicle they had done a V8 swap on. He said they won't be doing any more of those, and no one else will in CA, either. @NLXTACY has mentioned the same thing on this forum, and I'm sure he knows more about it than I do. I'd love an LS engine in my 80, but I'm not leaving CA any time soon.

I'm late to the party and didn't read the responses, but here's my take on the OP:

1) Don't sell. You're familiar with the truck and that's worth a lot. You know it's condition and quirks. Yours looks really nice. I have regretted every LC I ever sold, even the ones that were falling apart from rust or neglect.

2) While the out of the box turbo kit won't work on an OBD1 motor, don't lose hope that it can't be turbo'd or S/C'd somehow. Stand alone or other work arounds aren't as proven as OBD2, but it should be possible with some creativity, planning and $$$. If it doesn't pan out, just get gears and love the 80 for what it is. The Wits' End kit is totally worth the wait, but even if it goes NLA, there are other ways to get forced induction.

3) If you've got the space and you're set on an OBD2 truck, go ahead and shop for one. But don't let go of yours until you've got the new one and you're 100% convinced it's a keeper.

You got 4 to 6 people, all the gear inside and on the roof, and pulling a camper or some other kind of trailer and be able to keep up with traffic.
This is the EXACT problem I want to solve. I've got 4 little girls, a wife, gear, 2 RTTs, and a small trailer I'm hauling. Not to mention a front bumper, rear bumper, spare tire, etc...

Many of us here absolutely love our 80's. The anemic power and sacrificed overall drivability as a result leaves many owners not enjoying them as much as they could.
That said, until one has notable seat time in a variety of power plants in the 80, all comments are just speculation.
You and @White Stripe are making total sense. You better stop. Are you saying I should drive an 80 with an LS before I dismiss it?:steer:
All these comments are swaying me in a direction I never thought I would go. Now I just have to find someone with an LS swaped 80 near Southern Utah that I can bribe into letting me drive.

Last edited:
If you're gonna be towing and hauling a lot might also consider importing a diesel 80 from Europe or Asia if you don't mind RHD. Or a 6BT swap for that matter.

Personally I love the feeling of an old inline 6 with just enough low end grunt to move the beast down the road or over rocks. To me the relative sluggishness is part of the charm of driving a utility vehicle designed to take on the back roads of Africa and beyond.

But then I'm not hauling around a family and my Cruiser is still "light", with no heavy bumpers or accessories, and I don't doubt a V8 would breathe new life into it and bring it more into the modern era. Who knows, In 5 years we'll probably be discussing EV swaps for these old beasts!

I drive a 3FE :rofl:

What the hell are you all talking about!!! Blue pill, red pill, I dont know. Makes me want to go for a drive in the woods.

It is a lot of work rebuilding an engine and very scary. My vote is to fix issue and make reliable.

Can you swap to a V8 in CA as long as you also swap the factory ECU? Say you swap everything over from a 200 into an 80, do they check to see if the ECU matches the year and make of the body?

Sounds like you need a suburban powered by Duramax…….

Sounds like you need a suburban powered by Duramax…….
100% agree. I heard there is a good forum for Duramaxed Suburbans. "Dursubur" I think is the name of the forum:flipoff2:

I drive a 3FE :rofl:

What the hell are you all talking about!!! Blue pill, red pill, I dont know. Makes me want to go for a drive in the woods.

It is a lot of work rebuilding an engine and very scary. My vote is to fix issue and make reliable.
This is all lame right? I live 10 mins from Sand Hollow. Why don't I just go drive and stop whining?

If you're gonna be towing and hauling a lot might also consider importing a diesel 80 from Europe or Asia if you don't mind RHD. Or a 6BT swap for that matter.
I would love a diesel. Unfortunately I do not have the know how to do that myself or the funds to pay someone else to do it $$$. I think I have what I need here state side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom