Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool write up. Subbed. Want see what happens with motor. Met Tor once a Cruise Moab

Leaning heavily towards a LT1 in front of a 8l90. Tor mentioned he hadn't swapped an 8 speed into an 80 previously and I volunteered to be the guinea pig.

Your garage background shots are suspiciously clean. I have a feeling you know what you are doing, and take your time to do things right the first time. Good work on all that suspension upgrade stuff, I can't wait to see the motor and trans swap.
Cheers!

Pretty sure I should actually start putting parts on the truck before I completely take over the dining room. Already ran out of room in the garage.

IMG_20200919_092417.jpg

So what are you tackling next?

Also dropped the front panhard and new bushings off at the shop to be pressed ... No way was that working out in a home garage with a bench vice and a sledge hammer. :hillbilly:
Hey Feldrian, nice work on your axle. I'm thinking of doing the same next year. I'm local to you, who did you use to replace the bushings? Thanks in advance

Hey Feldrian, nice work on your axle. I'm thinking of doing the same next year. I'm local to you, who did you use to replace the bushings? Thanks in advance
@torfab is my go-to up in Everett. Great guys to work with.

I’ll be right over to help (you drink that liquor)!:rofl:
It's not a stash, it's a workplace accommodation. How else are we supposed to stay sane now we all work from home, urr, I mean live at work?

Productive day yesterday. Front end is back under the truck. Installed:
  1. Delta 4" arms w/ OEM bushings
  2. Delta sway bar drops (didn't replace the ball joints - they looked fine)
  3. New OEM sway bar rubber and fasteners
  4. New 555 tie rod and drag link ends
  5. New Koyo trunnion bearings
  6. ARB air locker w/ new 4.56 gears
  7. New axle seals
  8. New knuckle studs, cones and fasteners
  9. RCV 30 spline axles and birfs
  10. New ABS tone rings (which I looked like an idiot trying to install)
  11. New spindles w/ roller bearings
  12. New Koyo bearings wheel bearings, seals and wipers
  13. DBA T3 rotors
  14. New OEM hub studs (which were a huge pita)
  15. New hub stud cones, washers and nuts
  16. New axle clips and dust covers
  17. Slee braided SS brake lines
  18. New OEM calipers
  19. DBA 610 pads w/ new OEM shims and springs
  20. Extended the diff breather
  21. New OEM tail lights w/ LED reverse bulbs
Managed to shear hub studs a couple of times, despite being careful. Going check the calibration on my torque wrench to be sure I don't have an issue there. Also stripped two caliper bolts (with a different torque wrench) - all of the shears/ strips happened on the driver's side so I'm wondering if all of this was messed up previously and the caliper bolts had been cross threaded. One of the caliper bolts stripped at about 30 lb-ft, the other at about 75 ft-lb.

Still waiting on a few parts before I can turn the truck around in the garage and tackle the rear - Icon shocks and springs, Dobinson's steering stabilizer and the panhard bar I dropped off to have the new bushings pressed.

Hoping I don't shear/ strip as many fasteners on the rear :rolleyes:

IMG_20200920_105251.jpg

Order placed for a M12x1.25 Heli-Coil master set so I can repair the caliper to knuckle threads on the drivers side. Rookie running a Heli-Coil for the first time - Good thing it's not something important like my brakes. :ninja:

OCD is strong with this one..... Nice build

will sit back with a bunch of :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kinda think I need to come by. I’ll bring Rose our 97 LX450. I have a feeling you could teach me quite a bit. We are in Maple Valley and we’ve had ours about 6 months. Not near the build you have.

Great work

Kinda think I need to come by. I’ll bring Rose our 97 LX450. I have a feeling you could teach me quite a bit. We are in Maple Valley and we’ve had ours about 6 months. Not near the build you have.

Great work
Happy to help!

My build is in pieces though. I don't get to claim victory until it moves under it's own power again, without the deafening rod knock.

PXL_20200930_033312916.jpg

The moment when you realize the heli-coil kit you just bought to fix your stripped knuckle was about the same price as buying a shiny new knuckle.... :bang:

Time to return it and get the right stuff. Thanks for the heads up on cost.

Time to return it and get the right stuff. Thanks for the heads up on cost.
I decided to install the coils since I had them anyway and absolute worst case I'd be out $150 for a new knuckle. The process was WAY easier than I was expecting. Took about 45 min all up for both coils, including me messing up the first insert. Installed the caliper and torqued to 90 lb-ft no problem.

Had to run the tap on an extension, which wasn't ideal but still managed to tap the hole plumb.
PXL_20200930_043724122.jpg

Shiny new coil.
PXL_20200930_045423954.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom