Looks like an awesome platform to start with!15 second video
Has me wondering if new plugs, taping up the clean air intake hose and a bottle of octane boost is worth testing to rule out preingnition. When I heard "only filled oil when the light came on" my mind went immediately to a rod knock.
- Louder at start up. Quieter and sometimes disappears intermittently when the engine is warm, especially when coasting.
- Will sometimes go quiet for a few seconds for no apparent reason - not the metronome- like tick I'm used to with a rod knock.
- Checked all of the plugs - All tight - nothing has backed out
- Fuel in the tank is 18 months+ old
- Vehicle still making good oil pressure, at least according to the dash gauge
- Makes very little power ... but that could just be a normal 1FZ
- Previous owner put oil in "when the light came on" by their admission
- Oil is clean on the dipstick and reading "full"
- Just noticed the clean air hose (after the sensor) is split in half and letting additional air into the intake. Two pieces were touching, so didn't notice initially.
Sorry the video is a little large - No video editing software on this end.
Have you pulled the valve cover and taken a look? All the valves moving freely and their clearances to spec? Check compression yet?
Have you changed the oil? Any sizeable metal floating around in the bottom of the pan?