Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your rig sounds great but it’s too darn clean.

Last rig used to get run in muskeg all the time and the sheer number of dirt balls I got in my eyeballs while working on it pissed me off.

Also, I own a huge pressure washer, so why not? :cool:

balls I got in my eye

Bro, let’s keep this PG, keep your sexual escapades for your OnlyFans subscribers. I’ll be there normal time.

Had a great chat with @torfab . Verdict is the problem is likely vapor in the return line blasting bubbles in to the pump and subsequently sending bubbles through to the engine which then says "nope". Dropping the truck off on Friday for the return line to be re-routed (or what ever fix they feel is most appropriate)

Also going to look at getting the hood louvered. Need a way to let some of the heat out when I'm moving slowly.

Cancelled my expensive PartSouq order. Chances of not being murdered by my wife: improving.
I had the same problem w/ vapor in the return line after my swap.

For hood louvers, i used these.
Happy with them.

A little bit of trail grading at Walker Valley last weekend.

Well, I’m totally blown away by the fact that you didn’t s*** your pants on that drop. Cameras make things look smaller and more mellow, that looked neither. I was nervous on my couch FFS! Drove it like a Boss! 🤠

Finally remembered to take some pictures of the interior install:

Carpet is finally in!
PXL_20220811_212448683.jpg

Alipne head unit is in:
PXL_20220811_212550241.jpg

Polk door speakers are in:
PXL_20220811_212557571.jpg

PXL_20220811_212609443.jpg

And finally, who doesn't want a brand new $35 gas cap?!
PXL_20220811_150043883.jpg

I think we have the same deck and speakers.
I used:
  • Alpine iLX-W650 double DIN head unit w/ Alpine KTA-450 amp
  • Polk DB652 speakers front and rear
  • Alpine HCE-C1100 back up camera
Had some fun with the wiring. Ended up tying in behind the glove compartment after some suggestions here. Wound up having to make this python:

PXL_20220703_044301651.jpg

Ended up being a bit long, but it's nice to be able to plug everything in to the amp and head unit and then slot in position rather than fight with cords that are too short.

All the stuff pre-install. Didn't use the kickers for the dash. My exhaust note is pretty prominent. Didn't see the point.
PXL_20220702_230008803.jpg

I used:
  • Alpine iLX-W650 double DIN head unit w/ Alpine KTA-450 amp
  • Polk DB652 speakers front and rear
  • Alpine HCE-C1100 back up camera
Had some fun with the wiring. Ended up tying in behind the glove compartment after some suggestions here. Wound up having to make this python:

View attachment 3084326

Ended up being a bit long, but it's nice to be able to plug everything in to the amp and head unit and then slot in position rather than fight with cords that are too short.

All the stuff pre-install. Didn't use the kickers for the dash. My exhaust note is pretty prominent. Didn't see the point.
View attachment 3084327

Yup. Same bits. I didn't do a back up camera.

Do you like yours? Where's the camera Mount?
I have a small fosgate/sub/enclosure combo i've run in a few rigs. I like that it's small and if I need space it's 1 connection and it's out of the rig.

20211224_160117.jpg

My camera is under the jerry can holders on the swing out. Keeps it out of the weather and makes for a good mounting surface.

I'm happy with the head unit and speakers. I didn't see the point in putting anything really high end in the truck with the amount of racket it would have to compete with.

My camera is under the jerry can holders on the swing out. Keeps it out of the weather and makes for a good mounting surface.

I'm happy with the head unit and speakers. I didn't see the point in putting anything really high end in the truck with the amount of racket it would have to compete with.

Same. It's a 30 yr old diesel on 35s.

Had an interesting trip to Ocean Shores this weekend.

Started with a truck packed to the eyeballs:

PXL_20220812_125804482.jpg

Progressed to "Oh no, the truck died" on the side of I5 20 miles from home:

PXL_20220812_160425872.jpg

And wound up with the team from Torfab saving the day and installing a new fuel pump while we lightened the load in the cooler:

IMG_20220812_103720.jpg

I can't thank the @torfab team enough. The weekend would have been completely shot without their help. Absolutely no issues after the fix on a 4 1/2 hour drive to Ocean Shores and a 3 1/2 hour drive back. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
For anyone planning to tackle the BDR, these were my take aways:
  • You could run the whole track, end to end in a stock 4-runner or similar. 98% could be run in a Subaru, assuming no snow and the track is dry. The top of Bethel Ridge would be challenging if it's muddy, especially solo.
  • Finding a good camping spot in desired locations isn't as easy as it sounds. There were actually a lot less camp sites than I'd have expected on the trail. If you pass a good level spot but it's 30 min before you want to stop driving for the day ... stop. You're not going to find a better one. If you run South to North be aware there's nowhere to camp around Nighthawk. The last opportunity to camp on section 6 is Lake Chopaka, before you descend out of the mountains (slightly off the BDR track).
  • Download the GPS track from the website. Several of the intersections aren't well marked and even with GPS it can be hard to discern which track is the right one. If you plan to run with paper maps alone, plan on some time for backtracking.
  • The full BDR can be run in 3 to 4 days in a modified vehicle. More stock vehicles will likely take 4 to 6 days. Several of the sections are rocky and will require slower speeds in less modified vehicles if you want to stay comfortable and minimize the risk of damage to rockers and wheels.
  • Gas is plentiful on the route. There's opportunities to gas up at the end of every section.
  • Take a spare air filter or a way to clean your air filter with you if you're running in a group. The moon dust is heavy on several sections and if you're not the lead vehicle your air cleaner will end up plugged fairly quickly.
  • The track has some long uphill sections at altitude. Make sure your cooling system is up to the task.
  • The track has some long down grades with little to no run-off. Make sure your brakes are in good shape and you know how to compression brake.
  • The end of section 4 - downhill into Chelan has 2 options. The "official" route is listed as overgrown. If you take this route expect to get pinstriped on both body panels and wheels. It's fairly thick.
Overall it was a great time. We saw black bear, elk, deer, countless little critters and some really stubborn cows that thought they owned the trail on section 6. Hope you get the chance to get out there and experience it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom