Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So bourgeoisie

I want one
Maybe this is more your pace.

1657068048557.png

Truck is FINALLY dropped off for carpet install. Only took me 2 years. :rolleyes:

Expecting it back in a week or two.

After replacing the carpet in my 1990 min trucking on my own, I would 100% pay to have someone do this in my LC. Great decision.

After replacing the carpet in my 1990 min trucking on my own, I would 100% pay to have someone do this in my LC. Great decision.
Turns out the card under my tailgate carpet was beat to death, so the shop made a new piece as part of the install. My wife picked the truck up earlier this week all done. Looking forward to getting home so I can see it.

1" spacers reinstalled in the rear. I was definitely sagging in the butt when I had gear on board.
PXL_20220724_143910446.jpg

Still really like the rear bumper. Tested it on a few 4' drops that either caught the whole bumper (dirt) or the pintle (rock). Zero damage anywhere.
PXL_20220724_143925576.jpg

Had to move the gas pedal out and up after carpet install. The pedal was bottoming out on the rug and giving me maybe 40% throttle. Changed up the spacer that was installed during the conversion and fabbed a tube instead. Seems to work well. No issues with flex, etc when I was wheeling. Would have preferred to use 1/8" wall and weld a nut inside rather than 1/16 wall and a nutsert, but it's what I had and I didn't have any other options at 9pm on a Saturday night.

And no, my drilling skills don't (completely) suck ... the stock mounting location bolt holes aren't vertical. And yes, I need new counter sink bits. Again, all I had on a Saturday night.

PXL_20220724_055025425.jpg

PXL_20220724_055744004.jpg

Had a great chat with @torfab . Verdict is the problem is likely vapor in the return line blasting bubbles in to the pump and subsequently sending bubbles through to the engine which then says "nope". Dropping the truck off on Friday for the return line to be re-routed (or what ever fix they feel is most appropriate)

Also going to look at getting the hood louvered. Need a way to let some of the heat out when I'm moving slowly.

Cancelled my expensive PartSouq order. Chances of not being murdered by my wife: improving.

Had a great chat with @torfab . Verdict is the problem is likely vapor in the return line blasting bubbles in to the pump and subsequently sending bubbles through to the engine which then says "nope". Dropping the truck off on Friday for the return line to be re-routed (or what ever fix they feel is most appropriate)

Also going to look at getting the hood louvered. Need a way to let some of the heat out when I'm moving slowly.

Cancelled my expensive PartSouq order. Chances of not being murdered by my wife: improving.

Gonna get ready for wabdr?

1" spacers reinstalled in the rear. I was definitely sagging in the butt when I had gear on board. View attachment 3068618

Still really like the rear bumper. Tested it on a few 4' drops that either caught the whole bumper (dirt) or the pintle (rock). Zero damage anywhere.
View attachment 3068622
It’s appears to be close to the same height as mine in the rear maybe a bit lower but very much the same at the front. I’m looking forward to seeing how those VT’s carry your load on the WABDR. I’d like a full set but I’m pretty sure the rears have quite a bit less capacity than what I’m running now.

Looking great at any rate. Planning to bring those Jerry cans? I plan to bring a couple but we shouldn’t need extra gas.

Gonna get ready for wabdr?
Yeah, Tor didn't think the fix is complex and i didn't break anything serious (also means I don't need to find time to do it). I won't have louvers cut by then, but i won't be walking up boulder gardens either so i don't think I'll have the same heat issues.
It’s appears to be close to the same height as mine in the rear maybe a bit lower but very much the same at the front. I’m looking forward to seeing how those VT’s carry your load on the WABDR. I’d like a full set but I’m pretty sure the rears have quite a bit less capacity than what I’m running now.

Looking great at any rate. Planning to bring those Jerry cans? I plan to bring a couple but we shouldn’t need extra gas.
I usually leave half a can full on the back for emergencies. I don't like all the weight unless I'm really going to need it.

The rear VTs are actually rated for more load than the Slee's, but I'm convinced those ratings are wonky. After all, my 5" net lift was advertised as 3".

Yeah, Tor didn't think the fix is complex and i didn't break anything serious (also means I don't need to find time to do it). I won't have louvers cut by then, but i won't be walking up boulder gardens either so i don't think I'll have the same heat issues.

I usually leave half a can full on the back for emergencies. I don't like all the weight unless I'm really going to need it.

The rear VTs are actually rated for more load than the Slee's, but I'm convinced those ratings are wonky. After all, my 5" net lift was advertised as 3".
Sorry dude but the Slee’s are well over 300lbs/inch. Made by Dobinson, I spoke to a Dobinson rep about them and he would say so stated guessing. When I got to 340 he said “keep going”. 22 mm wire and progressive with top three turns close like the VT’s. They ride well unloaded because of this.

I bought a set of the OG rear tapered VT’s a couple years ago just to try them out as they match my fronts. 20mm wire and my ass end felt like it was all over the place on rough trails. Nice on the road though.

I want the cool factor of VT’s all around plus they are now black instead of whatever color my fronts are. I’ll be paying attention to your rig on this upcoming ride.

You get six inch shocks up front yet?

Sorry dude but the Slee’s are well over 300lbs/inch. Made by Dobinson, I spoke to a Dobinson rep about them and he would say so stated guessing. When I got to 340 he said “keep going”. 22 mm wire and progressive with top three turns close like the VT’s. They ride well unloaded because of this.

I bought a set of the OG rear tapered VT’s a couple years ago just to try them out as they match my fronts. 20mm wire and my ass end felt like it was all over the place on rough trails. Nice on the road though.

I want the cool factor of VT’s all around plus they are now black instead of whatever color my fronts are. I’ll be paying attention to your rig on this upcoming ride.

You get six inch shocks up front yet?
I still have the 0-3" Icons. On the list, but haven't ordered yet.

1" spacers reinstalled in the rear. I was definitely sagging in the butt when I had gear on board. View attachment 3068618

View attachment 3068622
You know my setup. Am I going to need to order a spacer(s) for the rear as well? Or did you get Dave to ship them?

You know my setup. Am I going to need to order a spacer(s) for the rear as well? Or did you get Dave to ship them?
I ordered the spacer after my kit landed and I did the original install. I had more sag than I'd like in the back - Ordered a pair from Dave and had them in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom