Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you use a new one in your 4speed? I might want to go used. I am going to shop around a little and see. If you could shoot me a pm of what you will like to get for it. I think to use the 3speed transfer case I have to get a different gear that slips on this shaft. I am wondering if it would be better for wear to get a new shaft.
Yeah I got a new shaft from ValleyHybrids and the conversion gear for the 3speed T-case. Mine didn’t have a lot of wear, but I figured since I was deep in this, I might as well go all the way. You are welcome to the used part for the cost of shipping.

Yeah I got a new shaft from ValleyHybrids and the conversion gear for the 3speed T-case. Mine didn’t have a lot of wear, but I figured since I was deep in this, I might as well go all the way. You are welcome to the used part for the cost of shipping.
I just emailed Valley Hybrids. because I will need the conversion gear for the 3 speed case. and the bearing and gasket kit. I think I am going to take you up on the offer. just let me know what I owe you on shipping. I did ask them about a output shaft. Might be more money than I can throw at it right now. I am also done with the puller I think for now. Thanks a bunch as it worked like a charm. Ill pack it up and send it your way. Along with the photograph possibly this afternoon or tomorrow.

Feel free to call us to go over the trans and Tcase project. Keeping the 3-speed Tcase is common and we have the parts to do it. That way we can send you a quote so you can plan ahead.
We should have a good used F valve cover with the oil filler cap if you need one.

Happy to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com
Shot you guys an email for some transmission parts :cool:.

So not alot done recently at kinda a stand still untill I get some parts. I got some quotes on transmission rebuild parts from a couple of places although I am pretty sure one place they miss understood my email and quoted me a transfercase rebuild. anyways I got a oem plug for the intake. Here is some pictures.
IMG_6741.jpg

This should go on a list of janky repairs. (this is what i replaced with the plug)
IMG_6740.jpg

So I have good news and Not bad news but a change of plans that Might be bad.

The good news! my dad helped me move the engine and things to get everything staged for the engine swap that I will be doing next weekend (weather permitting). I will say it is 1000x easier to put a 2f engine in the back of a truck without the transmission attached. I also just purchased a clutch kit from city racer. I might have sombody coming down to visit this next weekend and they might be helping out witch will be really awesome since most of the time its a one man show down here.

you might be asking why I am not using the garage for the swap. 3 reasons. Its not my garage as it belongs to my parents. They were nice enough to let me work on the engine in there these last months. 2 not enough room for the swap in the small garage space . 3. the other reason is its a garage apartment and we have guest staying in there march 1st.

IMG_6815.jpg

Its not going to be fun doing this swap on sub flooring. the hoist rolls around on it just fine at least.
IMG_6816.JPG

I have a large plastic bin covering the top and the tarp over it incase of rain.
IMG_6817.JPG

My not so great news is I think I am swapping with the 3 speed for now. I am going to work on the 4 speed while while I have the fj40 running and driving and swap it in sometime this summer. I have run out of time and I just cant spend all the money that I need to right now to get the 4speed where I want it to right now. I have to budget for a couple of trips this spring and I need to save some money for that. Its probibly the wrong decision but its the decision I am going with. I will do the 4 speed swap once I have all the parts and more time to complete it. However this whole swap was really done because I want the column shift back along with a toyota engine. the 4speed was just a bonus when I bought the engine. I am also planning for a column shift 4speed in somtime this summer. so I will be looking for a 3 on the tree transmission top plate if anybody has one I would love to have it!

Stay tuned for some mayhem starting next weekend! I am very excited!

Wife picked up a North Beach Sun Mag. This evening. She says "isn't this a Landcruiser" , gotta love that woman!
I say yep, remember the great pics I showed you from the guy in Ocracoke. That's his. @Roastchestnuts Famous!

20240226_185219.jpg

Wife picked up a North Beach Sun Mag. This evening. She says "isn't this a Landcruiser" , gotta love that woman!
I say yep, remember the great pics I showed you from the guy in Ocracoke. That's his. @Roastchestnuts Famous!

View attachment 3567972
Yess! I think I got two photos in that magazine! thats awesome you ran across one! I am actually about to start doing articles for a blog called tools of time. where I discuss photography. But I know I am doing an article about a comparison or a juxtaposition of a camera and my fj40. Ill be sure to post about the article once I get it going!

Something like this, eh?
IMG_1647.jpeg

Something like this, eh?
View attachment 3568345
Amazing! haha I had actually planned for a top off tripod and camera in the back shot! what a cool car. Funny ansel adams story: The place my wife and I stayed in New Mexico had a real Ansel Adams hangin on the wall with provenance and everything. I saw it in the living room of where we were staying and thought that looks like an Ansel Adams. I took the picture off the wall and flipped it around and almost had a heart attack it had provenance and certificite of authenticity also these were notarized too galleries it had been in and a price tag of when it was sold in 1960. witch i cant remember the price of what it was in 1960 but it was less than 1000. I know that photograph was worth more money than I have now. The person who owned this air bnb was a life long artist and knew Georgia Okeefe and I am pretty sure knew Ansel Adams as well. It just blew my mind that she had somthing that could be in a museum on her wall where guest stay.

Last edited:
Amazing! haha I had actually planned for a top off tripod and camera in the back shot! what a cool car. Funny ansel adams story: The place my wife and I stayed in New Mexico had a real Ansel Adams hangin on the wall with provenance and everything. I saw it and thought that looks like an ansel adams. I took the picture off the wall and flipped it around and almost had a heart attack. I know that photograph was worth more money than I have. the person who owned this air bnb was a life long artist and knew Georgia Okeefe and I am pretty sure knew Ansel Adams as well. It just blew my mind that she had somthing that could be in a museum on her wall where guest stay.
Seeing his work in person is a singular experience, photographer or not.

It has begun! the bib and radiator have been removed along with the hood. Its crazy how simple these things are. did all of this in just under an hour. Also removed the alternator although not shown. Its a toyota alternator that I am going to try and reuse untill I can get a new one. Hopfully today after work I can start unbolting the motor mounts and drive shafts get the trans tunnel out as well.

IMG_6952.jpg
IMG_6949.jpg

Is this an original radiator? it seems pretty old school. I am glad I am replacing it as it seems rough. and I think it had a pin hole leak in the front too. Had the old school petcock that made it easy to drain. Hoping to reuse that on the newer radiator and shroud.
IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

Yes on the radiator. Still have the F-engine frame mounts? Going back to the original battery mount?

Yes on the radiator. Still have the F-engine frame mounts? Going back to the original battery mount?
ITs pretty cool to see that radiator still then. I wonder if I can take it somwere to get rebuilt. I assume people still do that, just a matter of if there is a place still do it in NC. Yeah I bought a battery mount. its going to be here some time next week. I hate that thing thats in there. its also kinda wobbly. I think its made from an original battery tray though. I ended up buying some frame mounts and have some new hardware and motor mounts coming. The next pain in the ass thing is cutting the SBC stick welded mounts off. Not 100% sure of what I am going to do in terms of mounting the origials. I am thinking I will use bolts. I know the originals were rivits. I can see at least some of the holes from the original mounts on at least 3 of the spots. the one that mounts on top of the frame i am a little worried about the back right I think.

Last edited:
Button head socket caps are bolts with a rounded head. If you squint they sort of look like a rivet.

ITs pretty cool to see that radiator still then. I wonder if I can take it somwere to get rebuilt. I assume people still do that, just a matter of if there is a place still do it in NC. Yeah I bought a battery mount. its going to be here some time next week. I hate that thing thats in there. its also kinda wobbly. I think its made from an original battery tray though. I ended up buying some frame mounts and have some new hardware and motor mounts coming. The next pain in the ass thing is cutting the SBC stick welded mounts off. Not 100% sure of what I am going to do in terms of mounting the origials. I am thinking I will use bolts. I know the originals were rivits. I can see at least some of the holes from the original mounts on at least 3 of the spots. the one that mounts on top of the frame i am a little worried about the back right I think.
That radiator is probably better built than anything you can buy now. Out in western NC there are still old school radiator shops that should be able to "rebuild" it; I remember seeing a shop outside Spruce Pine, near where my folks live. Rural areas are great for having people that still know how to do stuff. Probably some thing in the Norfolk area, but that place is such a circus I can hardly bring myself to do anything up there. There is a great automotive electrical shop that can rebuild just about any starter, alternator if you have the need for that kind of work.

@theglobb probably has a lead on an old timer that could do it, or at least look at it. I should be going out that way in about a month so maybe the 3 of us can figure out something if you don't have it sorted before then.

That radiator is probably better built than anything you can buy now. Out in western NC there are still old school radiator shops that should be able to "rebuild" it; I remember seeing a shop outside Spruce Pine, near where my folks live. Rural areas are great for having people that still know how to do stuff. Probably some thing in the Norfolk area, but that place is such a circus I can hardly bring myself to do anything up there. There is a great automotive electrical shop that can rebuild just about any starter, alternator if you have the need for that kind of work.

@theglobb probably has a lead on an old timer that could do it, or at least look at it. I should be going out that way in about a month so maybe the 3 of us can figure out something if you don't have it sorted before then.
Yeah its really cool that its an original radiator. I do have an after market replacement and shroud I can run untill I get this one rebuilt. It is just really cool that its original. Especially since alot had been taken away with the sbc swap. @theglobb Let me know if you know of any place in Wilmington! I have been looking for an excuse to visit you guys.

I am with you on norfolk. I had to get a rear window on a truck replaced up there once and I dont want to ever have to navigate that area again.

Yeah its really cool that its an original radiator. I do have an after market replacement and shroud I can run untill I get this one rebuilt. It is just really cool that its original. Especially since alot had been taken away with the sbc swap. @theglobb Let me know if you know of any place in Wilmington! I have been looking for an excuse to visit you guys.
I should have been more clear, @theglobb in his winter residence, out near Boone. If he knows of a shop, I can haul it out there if I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom