Saginaw P/S Pump to Toyota Box 411 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 'Mud!

I'm working on all kinds of things with my 85', and since I'm running a 5.7L Chevy Vortec and both my Power Steering pump AND Steering Box are leaking, figured I'd begin a thread on the conclusive how-to's / information regarding this process for anyone who's digging around about a "1/2" Saginaw conversion for a Land Cruiser utilizing a Sag pump and Toyota box. Figured I'd throw some light on what my morning's research has yielded for me, and if anyone has worked a better system, sees something I made a mistake explaining, or has anything they want to add, PLEASE add it below!

Notable mud threads I came across so far on this topic:
"Fittings for Saginaw Box"
"Power Steering Thread Size"
"Valley Hybrids / Sag Conversion Kits" (P17)

So; from my reading and understanding, here's a conclusive information about the FITTINGS:

-------Power Steering Box -------
OEM Toyota HIGH PRESSURE Fitting:
M16x1.50
OEM Toyota LOW PRESSURE Fitting:
M17x1.50

(swapped/edited; Thanks @cruisermatt )

------ Saginaw Pump ------
HIGH PRESSURE: 5/8x18
LOW PRESSURE: Barb Fitting

This means that there's a need for adapters between the Box and pump.
Most folks, it seems, are running #6JIC adapters between the OEM Toyota fitting sizes so they can more easily fabricate hoses to their unique applications.
Here's two links, as the PSC company links I see in previous threads are not active:
I also read that when buying additional fittings, 'cavitation' can happen when you use any type of bended hardline, such as 45' and especially 90' bends. These are not recommended during any install, from what I can see.

When I go through with my updates, I'll be throwing in a new power steering fluid cooler. Here's a thread on that:
"Favorite Power Steering Cooler" (FJ40/55's)

Lastly, if you're like me, you've got a leaky box (man, the imagery...)
Here's some threads/information on the rebuild process... though, what I gather is that the process is near identical to the Toyota mini-truck (79-95) boxes and (it seems) very similar to the FJ80 process.
2002 Tech section Box rebuild information
Power Steering Re-Seal (Real solid one here)
FJ60 Removal and Reinstallation
FJ80 Step-By-Step rebuild process
...lastly, look at the FSM.

Hope this serves as help for folks, and a solid collection of information on Power Steering work over the years of 'Mud!

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this work. From what I've read there are some saginaw pumps out there that do have metric high pressure fitting on them that will fit right onto a toyota high pressure line. If anyone has one of those could you please post it up here.

Is the stock toyota cooler (basically a loop of tubing) not sufficient to cool the sag pump?

In the past, people used Saginaw pumps from Volvos, as they had the wider-groove pulley and (perhaps) metric fittings, but I can't get anyone to chime in (who has the knowledge) of the 'best' pump like this to use.

Is the stock toyota cooler (basically a loop of tubing) not sufficient to cool the sag pump?

I don't know, the stock Toyota loop is probably OK. But, as of writing I'd just saw that the prices for finned/veined coolers were sub 40$ and that was the 'right' price for me, since I presumed it'd offer better cooling for a non-OEM pump.

-------Power Steering Box -------
OEM Toyota HIGH PRESSURE Fitting:
M17x1.50
OEM Toyota LOW PRESSURE Fitting:
M16x1.50

You’ve got this backwards buddy.

Once you’ve decided on what pump to use, surplus center is a good place to get hydro lines. When I’d did hydro assist I got an 18” 3/8 line, #6jic under $10 for the high pressure side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom