3FE - Threaded Water Pump Stud & Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on the cooling system in my 3-FE - FJ62.
I removed the studs while replacing my water pump, replaced everything with new parts, and reassembled everything. When I tried to tighten the studs, one of them turned loose and threaded the block.

I'm not sure how bad it is, anyone have experience with this?
I'm planning to run a tap through it and see if I can cut some of the rounded threads. The damage is only to the first three threads, so I'm hoping a longer stud will hold.

This is going to be difficult to seal, so I'm wondering if a thread sealer would work?

IMG_3330.jpeg

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3323.jpeg

That's not a pretty sight.

Whenever I install new studs, I only snug them into place on the "receiving" part (block, hub, etc.) using appropriate threadlocker, and then the nut that threads onto it to hold whatever part in place is what gets torqued.

Does the hole that got stripped go into a coolant passageway? Looks like it doesn't but I can't tell for sure from this pics. If it doesn't, a new stud with some red threadlocker only snugged into place will be just fine. If it does, that unfortunately is a problem I haven't dealt with myself before, so I defer to others who have actual experience there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom