RuffStuff Rear Full Float Axel Flanges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would really like to use the original axle housing, and my welding skills are on par. I just need to get some exact dimensions so I will know how much axle tube to cut off. I would also need to know the dimensions of the custom axle shafts.
This should help.

Full floating axles are rare in the States except for FJ80 axles.

Unfortunately, this is true. (Of Toyota's or other small trucks/Jeeps) Common on 3/4 ton and larger. I always say we get the crap here in the States. Everyone else gets the cool stuff... especially Australia. (except for that dern steering wheel on the wrong side :)

Unfortunately, this is true. (Of Toyota's or other small trucks/Jeeps) Common on 3/4 ton and larger. I always say we get the crap here in the States. Everyone else gets the cool stuff... especially Australia. (except for that dern steering wheel on the wrong side :)
Cruiser Parts have full floating FJ40 axles but they start at $2500 and go up from there. SOR lists them, but they are always out of stock. With today's shipping costs it gets expensive very fast. I did some research and figured out how to convert a semi float to a full float. I saw an article from over 30 years ago where they converted a Jeep Wagoneer rear axle to a full floater. But getting customer axles would have been harder now, but the market has caught up and parts are more available to get it done.

Once the new axle shafts are complete and shipped I can finish my FJ60 rear axle for my FJ40.

Holy Cow! Cruiser Parts has everything! Thanks for the info! It might be worth my time just to buy one from them.

I was wondering how you came up with the $2500 figure, though. They have the hub to hub axle listed for $1200, and according to the third member section, the differential would be another $250. Add a disc brake conversion for $600, and looks like that comes to $2050. It said shipping is +/- $150 for axle assemblies.

Last edited:
Holy Cow! Cruiser Parts has everything! Thanks for the info! It might be worth my time just to buy one from them.

I was wondering how you came up with the $2500 figure, though. They have the hub to hub axle listed for $1200, and according to the third member section, the differential would be another $250. Add a disc brake conversion for $600, and looks like that comes to $2050. It said shipping is +/- $150 for axle assemblies.
You do not need the 3rd..the one you have will work with zero modifications.
Just be careful dealing with those crooks.

You do not need the 3rd..the one you have will work with zero modifications.
Just be careful dealing with those crooks.

Thanks for the warning and the info!

When I talked to them before I build my axle it was going to be about $2500 and then shipping to Wyoming would have been $450 to my house. My H55F and split transfer case were shipped to SLC and I had to make a 10 hour drive to pick it up. There is a trucking company in town that covers the State that it could have been transferred to. So now when I order a heavy assembly I ask if they can ship it to my home or at least to the depot in town. Shipping has become a big factor for me.

You don't need the differential all Toyota axles that use the 9.5" will fit just make sure both front and rear have the same ratio. I reused the FJ40 differential in the FJ60 axle build.

I am not using stock flanged axle full floating axle shafts. I am using after market double spline axles with drive flanges on the hubs. I also installed seal holders in the spindels with a lip seal to run the bearings in grease as they do on the front axle. The drive flanges are supposed to be more waterproof than conventional drive flanges.

Thanks for the warning and the info!
If you build a full floater, you retain the rear differential removable differential cover.
When I was building mine, I did not cut off the original flange of the housing we counter bore the inside of the new flange to fit over the weld on the housing and then welded to the original flange after turning them round. The welded the ID of the flange to the inner housing. Took care of miss alignment.

Full floating axles are rare in the States except for FJ80 axles.

Then in Australia the FF were standard 1975 plus on all Land Cruisers. Guessing all mine came from there. Sold the late seventies FF I had with heavy duty drums with cooling fins. Didn't get anywhere near $2,500 for it. The 8/80+ I have from either a FJ40 or BJ42 may have come from Sandi Arabia. Person I bought it from got it from SOR. Was from when SOR was selling complete axles minus the diff. Later the brakes weren't included. Third one came out of a 84 HJ47RV from Australia. Have more FF axles in Australia which were cheap to say the least. Only 60 series has the hand brake. But 8/80+ 40 series FF can be converted to hand brake using 60 series parts and aftermarket hand brake cable. I do run huge tires or large HP V8s so drum brakes on with hand brake is preferred over disc brakes. Believe an old GM car either a Buick or Cadillac had calibers with a hand brake. May have been the Tornado front wheel drive. Personally not going to cut and redesign a frame to use hand brake on a split case mated to a H55F.

If disc brake and FF were a must believe I would look into getting a pair of later 70 series axles from Australia believe dropping $2,500 on a custom rear axle that didn't have a hand brake. I say a pair because from my research the 70 series with disc brakes on the rear were five lug. Would want the wheels to fit everywhere.

I have the hand brake on my split transfer case. I did not want drotors, only disc brakes on the rear axle I built. The only issue I had with with parking brake on the 4 speed transfer case was a leaking seal. I was able to take care of that problem with my very limited mechanical skills I had at that time. I will only have one drum brake to worry about.

Ruff Stuffs are for a FF conv not just to put discs on. IMO if doing this you have to get custom 4340 axles made and use drive flanges not hubs. Made outa 4340 the 30 spline will be fine. Or if you really wanna improve it then build a 35 spline center section and have your custom axles made with chromo, 35 both ends. Not sure if the hubs can fit a 35 spline shaft.

A stronger FF axle can be built that is stronger than a stock axle.

Ruff Stuffs are for a FF conv not just to put discs on. IMO if doing this you have to get custom 4340 axles made and use drive flanges not hubs. Made outa 4340 the 30 spline will be fine. Or if you really wanna improve it then build a 35 spline center section and have your custom axles made with chromo, 35 both ends. Not sure if the hubs can fit a 35 spline shaft.
You would have to have different drive flanges made or have the splines cut for the differential and the hub. I don't think it would be really cost effective.

I'm not a hardcore rock guy but haven't ever had an issue breaking a semi float axle shaft.
Same, but one time I saw a car run into a bouncing, spinning wheel with an attached axle shaft that had come out of a truck's rear axle. I assume the axle broke or the c-clip that retains the axle in the diff failed. That's when I thought that a full floater was a pretty good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom