RuffStuff Rear Full Float Axel Flanges (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is funny. I read a post where a guy had free wheeling hubs on his axle and when out on the trail and he and his friends having a few beers one would unlock his hubs for him and laugh when he couldn't move.

Years ago I flat towed my 68 on a regular basis. It would have been very convenient having a FF with lock out hubs on the rear axle. Maybe in extreme rock crawling could see the need to unlock one side on a locked axle. Other than that and flat towing more of a novelty. Something else to break and extra width unless really have a use for it would bother spending the money to install.

I have thought about putting a lock out hub on the front axle or use drive flanges for my build of the front axle. Living in Wyoming and having free wheeling hubs, one the FJ40 or trucks afterwards I kept the hubs locked from fall to spring because of the changing road conditions. I put drive flanges on my rear axle.

Cruiser Parts still didn't answer their phone, but they did get back with me via email. They said they have a 40 series FF axle assembly in stock, but it's $2640 +shipping.

I told you they are expensive and that is a lot to pay if you are going to upgrade to disc brakes and double spline shafts. That is why I didn't buy from them and the FJ60 housing was about $350 then I didn't have extra parts I was not going to need. I am getting a little wider track for a little more stability. I have rolled it and it was not fun, but I was not hurt and the damage was not that bad.

I'm wanting to keep the same width, just because I want it to look mostly factory. It's a lot of money, but all I have to do is drop my 3rd member in, and it's ready to go. Actually, there is a lot more to it, since you would have to freshen up the whole thing, but you wouldn't have to do any modifications, save for adding disc brakes.

Like I said I have a FJ40 housing if you are interested to convert and use your differential then you would have a spare axle if you wanted to sell you FJ40. It has a different flange then the FJ60 axle I bought, but the adopters would still work.

1666743046614.jpeg

Thanks. I will certainly keep it in mind in case I don't go with the 40 series FF axle assembly.

I'm wanting to keep the same width, just because I want it to look mostly factory. It's a lot of money, but all I have to do is drop my 3rd member in, and it's ready to go. Actually, there is a lot more to it, since you would have to freshen up the whole thing, but you wouldn't have to do any modifications, save for adding disc brakes.
Buy an FZJ80 rear axle, narrow it to your specs and have custom axle shafts built. That is the easy button. Factory brake parts and all other components still supported by Toyota at this time. The 40 series FF axle you are sourcing parts from overseas if you need them.

I also have the rear cover for that axle. A factory FF the cover is welded on like the front axle.

Buy an FZJ80 rear axle, narrow it to your specs and have custom axle shafts built. That is the easy button. Factory brake parts and all other components still supported by Toyota at this time. The 40 series FF axle you are sourcing parts from overseas if you need them.

I appreciate the info, but I prefer to go with the 40 series FF from overseas. If I can't do that for some reason, I will probably use one from an 80.

I also have the rear cover for that axle. A factory FF the cover is welded on like the front axle.

Yeah, no reason to have a removable cover on a FF, since you don't have to remove a c-clip to pull an axle.

Last edited:

Would search for 70 series if your not looking for a wider track. both 60 series and 70 series require spring perches to be moved. Not sure when they switched to five lug but it was years after the 60 series ended.

42110-60252. Or 42110-60262. I think you would be stuck with drum brakes(unless you go aftermarket Chevy) if you buy these FF axle housing?
OP I think the "Shorten an 80 axle" is the way to go when it comes to the $ point of view. You get all the updated spline counts all the parts and bits are included with disks and a stronger than your 40 shafts to boot. If your patient I routinely see 80 rears in the $500-$800 range in my region. But it seems you want to keep the original equipment on the truck.

Last edited:
42110-60252. Or 42110-60262. I think you would be stuck with drum brakes(unless you go aftermarket Chevy) if you buy these FF axle housing?
OP I think the "Shorten an 80 axle" is the way to go when it comes to the $ point of view. You get all the updated spline counts all the parts and bits are included with disks and a stronger than your 40 shafts to boot. If your patient I routinely see 80 rears in the $500-$800 range in my region. But it seems you want to keep the original equipment on the truck.

Later 70 series had FF with disc brakes and hand brake. If I really wanted a disc brake on the rear axle would search Australia for a set of used front and rear with matching five lug hubs. Only moving spring perches versus shorting a axle housing.

I just bought a 40 series full float axle assembly with a disc brake conversion kit. It wasn't cheap, but at least my search is over. (for that, anyway)

$2640 before shipping. By the time I added the disc brake kit and shipping it was $3550, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom