RuffStuff Rear Full Float Axel Flanges (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used/installed the RuffStuff Rear Full Float Axel Flanges on their FJ40 with the stock axel housing. If so, I would definitely love to see some images or videos of the install. Or, if anyone knows of a link to a video, it would be much appreciated. I'm very interested in converting my rear to full float and disc brakes. I understand that the factory axle flange needs to be cut off, but I cannot find information detailing the amount to be cut off or any info on dimensions for this install. Concerning dimensions, I'm also wondering what has to be done to the rear axles. I'm assuming that they need to be cut down and splined on the wheel end. I couldn't find any information on that either.

AFAIK there is no way to convert a semi float rear axle to a full float axle.

the brackets above are for the disc brake conversion on a full float axle

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used/installed the RuffStuff Rear Full Float Axel Flanges on their FJ40 with the stock axel housing. If so, I would definitely love to see some images or videos of the install. Or, if anyone knows of a link to a video, it would be much appreciated. I'm very interested in converting my rear to full float and disc brakes. I understand that the factory axle flange needs to be cut off, but I cannot find information detailing the amount to be cut off or any info on dimensions for this install. Concerning dimensions, I'm also wondering what has to be done to the rear axles. I'm assuming that they need to be cut down and splined on the wheel end. I couldn't find any information on that either.

yes its works ... but need custom axle shaft or need good measure to use OME parts.. the splinder that i used was the front one+

I myself have a Diamond housing that is FF. same set up. You would have to get custom axle shafts made . Think of it like your front axle just without the birfs

Here is a picture. You use the spindle and hubs from a front axle

3A56E355-067B-48A4-BBB5-587B13F6F041.jpeg

32C3A73A-EA80-4E45-A8EF-55FA6008210A.jpeg

If budget is not an issue buy and build a custom FF housing. If you have some welding skills I think buying a complete 80 series FF axle and narrowing the passenger side is a good way to go. You only need a custom axle shaft for that side and can use all stock parts to build it, so they are easy to find and you get the disc and emergency brake upgrades with it.

I would really like to use the original axle housing, and my welding skills are on par. I just need to get some exact dimensions so I will know how much axle tube to cut off. I would also need to know the dimensions of the custom axle shafts.

I’ve seen a number of people covert SF to FF. If you read further down in the description, the main purpose of these flanges is to do that very thing. The disc brake conversion is merely a convenient by product of the custom flange.

I would really like to use the original axle housing, and my welding skills are on par. I just need to get some exact dimensions so I will know how much axle tube to cut off. I would also need to know the dimensions of the custom axle shafts.

Since you can't use your semi floating inner axle shafts really no way to answer the question. To do that you need the FF inner axles you are going to use and the Toyota spindles. Then you can determine where the adapter needs to be welded so the inner axles fit correctly in the diff.

The inner axles are cut to length . They just have longer splins cut into them. then you cut to length

The inner axles are cut to length . They just have longer splins cut into them. then you cut to length

I’m assuming they are splined on each end. Then, I guess you can put either a drive flange, or a locking hub assembly on the wheel end.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a number of people covert SF to FF. If you read further down in the description, the main purpose of these flanges is to do that very thing. The disc brake conversion is merely a convenient by product of the custom flange.

didn't know there was a conversion, but it seems for the cost and the need for custom axle shafts, is it really worth it?
I'm not a hardcore rock guy but haven't ever had an issue breaking a semi float axle shaft.

didn't know there was a conversion, but it seems for the cost and the need for custom axle shafts, is it really worth it?
I'm not a hardcore rock guy but haven't ever had an issue breaking a semi float axle shaft.

It’s worth it if you want it. For me, there are enough benefits to justify the trouble. If you’ve ever broken a SF rear axle on the trail and it broke in such a way that you couldn’t get the axle out, then it’s definitely worth it. Stronger and so much easier to work on. Plus it’s just plain cool.

If you could find one that would be good, without being able to find one this might be you next best bet!

I used FROR brackets a had them welded to an FJ60 rear axle. I used new spindles that bolted to the bracket, remanufactured FJ40 calipers and new rotors that are slotted. I also used the wheel hubs from my front FJ40 axle. Before welding the brackets on the existing axle flanges were machined round to make welding easier. The new flanges were welded on the outside and on the ID inside. Then I was able to build the hubs.

1666573007950.jpeg

1666573071056.jpeg

1666573408363.jpeg

1666573462821.jpeg

1666573510752.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom