Rubber floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Right, so I ripped out all the carpet and sound proofing insulation from my HDJ-80.

My goal is to rubberise the floor, as I am working on creating an Overland rig. I also have door and tailgate cards made out of PVC from Oz.

What is the best way to rubberise the floor? Rhino? All suggestions welcome and considered.

I hate the term overlanding!
But if you're building a rig that will do a lot of long road trips, removing carpet and sound deadener is probably a mistake.

Carpet and underlay help cut noise, vibration, heat.

What do you see as advantages of a rubberised floor?
Pardon me for the use of the word 'Overlanding,' as it is a
I hate the term overlanding!
But if you're building a rig that will do a lot of long road trips, removing carpet and sound deadener is probably a mistake.

Carpet and underlay help cut noise, vibration, heat.

What do you see as advantages of a rubberised floor?
Pardon me for using the word 'Overlanding' as it appears to be a cacophony to you.
My rationale is that the only roads this rig will travel on are ones to trails, and or dirt. I'm thinking about camping with the rig as it has a RTT.
Carpeting and such do have their place but when you are dealing with mud and a possible water crossing then you get wet carpets and eventually mold.

I would stay away from truck bed liner. That was my plan originally but I was told you’d never get the smell out of the vehicle. It’s always “off gassing” that Might not be the correct terminology. Jeep’s get away with it because of the removable top. If you want something to apply to the metal floor I’d look at the liquid sound deadening products. This was several years ago so the liner products might be better now.

I would stay away from truck bed liner. That was my plan originally but I was told you’d never get the smell out of the vehicle. It’s always “off gassing” that Might not be the correct terminology. Jeep’s get away with it because of the removable top. If you want something to apply to the metal floor I’d look at the liquid sound deadening products. This was several years ago so the liner products might be better now.
Have you used liquid sound deadner I've used the ceramic lizard skin I don't think it durable enough for actual usage in driver compartment.

Pardon me for using the word 'Overlanding' as it appears to be a cacophony to you.
My rationale is that the only roads this rig will travel on are ones to trails, and or dirt. I'm thinking about camping with the rig as it has a RTT.
Carpeting and such do have their place but when you are dealing with mud and a possible water crossing then you get wet carpets and eventually mold.

I agree with @mudgudgeon 'overlanding' is a silly term.

I think for the effort of installing a bunch of rubber or bedliner would be better spent leaving your doors open for an afternoon or two after your camping trip

it'll also be super loud on your way to and from your campsite. the carpet and underlayment do a big job of cutting down noise.

I'd say keep carpet.

Run some basic floor mats, or sand grabber type mats.
I've used vinyl backed carpet squares from the hardware as basic sturdy mats in a few vehicles now that cost next to nothing. Just cut to shape.

If you're happy to settle for no carpet, a bit of mud on carpet shouldn't matter.

If a water crossing is just fording a creek or small river where you're through and done in one pass, you're not going to get much water in at all unless your missing a bunch of plugs and grommets.

If you're stuck in a river, or driving through a lake, different story. you're gonna have a bunch of wet electrics to worry about. Worry about pulling wet carpet IF it happens

I'd say keep carpet.

Run some basic floor mats, or sand grabber type mats.
I've used vinyl backed carpet squares from the hardware as basic sturdy mats in a few vehicles now that cost next to nothing. Just cut to shape.

If you're happy to settle for no carpet, a bit of mud on carpet shouldn't matter.

If a water crossing is just fording a creek or small river where you're through and done in one pass, you're not going to get much water in at all unless your missing a bunch of plugs and grommets.

If you're stuck in a river, or driving through a lake, different story. you're gonna have a bunch of wet electrics to worry about. Worry about pulling wet carpet IF it happens
Yep, if wet carpet is a problem you will most likely be pulling the interior to fix electrical stuff anywase 🤷‍♂️

I can tell ya it's hot af with no carpet just put a couple layers of sound deadner in driver foot well and covered trans tunnel as well and put used carpet back in. When I got my 80 it didn't have carpet due to leaking roof rack . Been riding around for a couple years like thT hearing complaints about passenger side being extremely hot. Transmission tunnel really hot too not now tho. That's 440 mill thick of sound deadening including closed cell foam.
Tommy

20230824_155735.jpg

20230824_160953.jpg

20230824_173951.jpg

20230824_174000.jpg

just the floor and a layer of paint sounds rough. also as you are aware, the floor pan is not smooth.

consensus so far says a layer of asphalt style deadening and then closed cell foam on top, while the carpet is out. this stuff doesn't hold moisture like the stock stuff does

put your carpet back on top, then something like Weathertec mats
OR
tru-fit vinyl

i have the vinyl and still have rubber mats on top to catch all the small gravel, water, etc off my shoes. the vinyl was a huge chore to install and fit properly.

just the floor and a layer of paint sounds rough. also as you are aware, the floor pan is not smooth.

consensus so far says a layer of asphalt style deadening and then closed cell foam on top, while the carpet is out. this stuff doesn't hold moisture like the stock stuff does

put your carpet back on top, then something like Weathertec mats
OR
tru-fit vinyl

i have the vinyl and still have rubber mats on top to catch all the small gravel, water, etc off my shoes. the vinyl was a huge chore to install and fit properly.

Which vinyl did you use?

I like the idea of vinyl, but haven't seen a vinyl product that fits in a way I'd be happy with!

Which vinyl did you use?

I like the idea of vinyl, but haven't seen a vinyl product that fits in a way I'd be happy with!

its not moulded very well like the OE carpet is, so isn't quite a drop in replacement. complex corners need help w/ a heatgun and 3M hook&loop for retention along the edges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom