Rivnuts for mounting custom stainless snorkel to a-pillar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the right sort of rivnuts to use in the a-pillar to fix a custom stainless snorkel to the body with?

There isn't really any way to easily create a 'nutplate' to fit inside the complex curved a-pillar, and last time I checked I figured it would be difficult to use regular nut and bolt fastening methods since there isn't an easy way to manouvere nuts and washers inside the back of the a-pillar.

So rivnuts seems like the only workable option.

But what type, and what kind of steel material?

Also, what's the best way to 'set' them? I do have a rivnut setting tool that I found through an Ebay seller but it's not like a rivet tool.

While id normally agree with the above in my experience the snorkle moves too much in relation to the A pillar ( or maybe its the Rhododendron :D ) but the rubber well nuts did not last in this application for me. on the 3rd try i went with the standard metal rivnuts like above and used a tool to install after painting the hole and adding a bit of sealant which wiped away easily after it displaced once the nut was fixed.

actually that mcmaster page has a few cool hybrid options.
cannot link individual styles but check out the metal with a rubber gasket variety for thin metals

I have to defer to Jason, as I don't have a snorkel on my 62 and have never installed one. If you have never looked at mcmaster, it is a great source for all kinds of hardware. They ship quickly and the 800# is very helpful.

What are the right sort of rivnuts to use in the a-pillar ...

The A pillar is pretty thick, we have drill and tapped. That way when it gets ripped out, have the option of going to a larger insert.

I would go with a stainless option and use a plastic washer with some silicone to seal the hole. the washer will flatten out like a crushwasher, ive used that idea with rivets and it s worked out well

If you want a Riv Nut that will seal you could go with some Well Nuts, they install just like Riv Nuts do.

Well nut - Wikipedia

Here is a "how to install" video. How to Install Well Nuts - Bing video

Stay away from silicone. It will eat at the metal.

Not trying to fight with you, but do you have any links you could provide, or other information that backs up your statement that silicone/RTV or FIPG "eats at metal". The reason i ask, I've been using silicone/RTV or FIPG on customers cars for years to form gaskets between metal parts , and have yet to of had any problems with it eating, or corroding metal. So any information you could provide would be helpful. Thanks

Most regular silicone sealants used in domestic situations are not neutral-cure.

Interesting idea to use a plastic washer. Are there any suitable plastic washers made from a material suitable to use as a 'seal ring' under rivnuts?

This is from a quick internet search. I saw a post recently where someone described the bad silicone as that which smells like vinegar.

Acetic silicone sealant is acid accumulator free. It will absorb water from air to release the acetic acid gas during the curing process.

Neutral silicone sealant has two types, including dealcoholization and ketonic oxime. It will absorb water from air to release alcohol gas during the curing process.

2. Application:

There is great difference in application between those two silicone sealants. You must need to choose a suitable silicone sealant as required, then it will work effectively

Acetic silicone sealant

Acid silicone sealant is suitable for purpose of sealing, plugging leak-proof and weatherproof. It can be used indoor and outdoor, but the effect is better indoor. It is outstanding on leakage and seepage. There is some corrosion towards metal, so it will corrode or can’t bond the copper, brass (and other copper alloy), magnesium, zinc and electroplated metal (and other zinc alloy).In addition, it’s can be used on masonry made of stone and iron carbide on the substrate or the connection which is moved more than 25% of the seam width. Acid silicone sealant is usually used on the mute of the back of the wood. It is strong adhesion.

Neutral silicone sealant

Neutral silicone sealant is suitable for weather-proof seal of all kinds of curtain wall. We particularly recommend use it on sealing glass curtain wall, aluminum-plastic curtain wall and stone dry hanging. In addition, it also can be used on sealing between seam and metal, glass, aluminum, tiles, poly-methyl methacrylate and coated glass. Dehydrated silicone sealant is non-corrosive. The deketoxime silicone sealant will corrode the copper, so that it can not be used on mirror. Neutral alcohol silicone sealant does not corrode copper, so it can used to adhesive mirror. Neutral silicone sealants are used in home improvement, mainly because it does not corrode objects.

3. Curing time

Acid silicone sealant is better on speed of the curing time. Neutral glass has a strong bonding strength, it can firmly stick objects, but its ductility is weak and the gel curing speed is slower.

4. Price

In terms of price, it will be influenced by lots of elements like brands and regions and so on. But in terms of basics, there is no doubt the price of neutral silicone sealant is higher than acidic silicone glue. Because the neutral glass adhesive has little effect on the bonding material, and the cost of the acetic silicone glue is low.

Also, what's the best way to 'set' them? I do have a rivnut setting tool that I found through an Ebay seller but it's not like a rivet tool.

I have a few pneumatic guns for installing them...

dorkelinstll36.jpg

dorkelinstll34.jpg

dorkelinstll38.jpg

dorkelinstll39.jpg

dorkelinstll43.jpg

dorkelinstll44.jpg

Gallery
FZJ80 Dorkel Install — Postimage.org

Jesus christ. Yes some RTVs have acetic acid. Most “domestic” silicones aren’t very useful for automotive and if you use some rtv from autozone like say any of the permatex Ultra rtvs they don’t cure with acetic acid.

Mud makes everything difficult.

If it smells like vinegar it’s acetic acid.

Last edited:
The only pic I can find of it so far... it's stored away currently until I get the rivnut stuff sorted.

32128049043_e85732ecce_b.jpg

pic page

86aggie, it would have helped me to better understand the point you were trying to make, if you would have said up front, you were talking about household silicone/RTV instead of automotive grade FIPG/silicone/RTV. I can't say in all my years of automotive repair, I've ever known of a reputable auto repair shop to use household silicone, instead of using the correct automotive silicone/RTV, but i guess there's a first for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom