Retrofitting a Trailer Hatch on 2009 LX570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow Mudders!

I recently picked up a 2009 LX570 and, to my surprise, it doesn't come with a trailer hitch. I had plans to use it for some towing tasks. Has anyone here successfully retrofitted a trailer hitch on their LX570?
Upon inspecting behind the bumper, I noticed five holes. I'm unsure if I can simply screw in a receiver or if there's more to it. Is there a specific bumper or setup that needs to be fitted first, or can I utilize these holes directly?

Thanks for any insights!

PXL_20231013_131524845_Original.jpeg

PXL_20230927_123254910_Original.jpeg

Interesting. I thought they all came with the hitch. You'll need the OEM hitch along with the bumper OEM bumper that allows for a hitch with that center removable cover.

On my LC, the receiver is an integrated part of the frame. I wonder when they switched to that from a bolt-on hitch. Etrailer doesn’t appear to have a hitch for an 2009 LX.

What region are you in? And where is this LX originally from?

I believe in some areas a pintle style hitch bolts on to that area of the frame. Might be worth seeing what they do in Australia and Africa where the US 2” square hitch style wouldn’t be common.

@VooDoo2 any input?

Yeah, I was not aware that any were made without an integrated hitch in the rear crossmember. Not a north american LX?

If it's anything like other generations, those 4 holes should be set up to bolt up a standard pintle hitch. If pintle isn't your style, there are also bolt-on hitch receivers that work with the pintle bolt pattern (check the tow rating, as many of these are not rated for a lot of weight). You can get pintle hitches good for 10,000 lbs, but I'd do some more research into what the crossmember is designed for before going nuts.

Either option would require cutting up your bumper or locating a bumper with the usual hitch cutout.

Example pictures from some 80's (the receiver one was mine)

1697551555957.png

1697551572960.png

Yeah, I was not aware that any were made without an integrated hitch in the rear crossmember. Not a north american LX?

If it's anything like other generations, those 4 holes should be set up to bolt up a standard pintle hitch. If pintle isn't your style, there are also bolt-on hitch receivers that work with the pintle bolt pattern (check the tow rating, as many of these are not rated for a lot of weight). You can get pintle hitches good for 10,000 lbs, but I'd do some more research into what the crossmember is designed for before going nuts.

Either option would require cutting up your bumper or locating a bumper with the usual hitch cutout.

Example pictures from some 80's (the receiver one was mine)

View attachment 3458315

View attachment 3458316

it's a middle east export, and from what I can gather, some '09 models from different regions come without a trailer hatch. I've taken a clearer photo of the bumper area to give a better view of what I'm working with. If anyone could share an image of the back of their LX570, I would greatly appreciate.

PXL_20231021_073454521 - Copy.jpg

it's a middle east export, and from what I can gather, some '09 models from different regions come without a trailer hatch. I've taken a clearer photo of the bumper area to give a better view of what I'm working with. If anyone could share an image of the back of their LX570, I would greatly appreciate.

View attachment 3461292
So just to clarify an earlier post, there are no bolt-on parts to a N.A. LC or LX, the receiver is a welded unit as part of the frame. You can't just replace the bumper and install a N.A. hitch since there is no separately available hitch receiver. Photos would only help if you could find someone with a non N.A. vehicle like yours that has the hitch receiver bolted on to the bumper. I think your only course of action is to find a 4 hole bolt-on 2 inch receiver with appropriate tow ratings for your use. I suppose weld-on might be an option, but you'd have to find a good welder?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom