Measuring Clearance of 2009 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post! So, I'm in the process of learning and trying to figure out my first modification to my 2009 LX570. More on that on another today. The issue I'd like to address today in this thread is clearance. Stock, the rig has only about 8.25 inch clearance at the lowest point of the vehicle - namely the differential housing. Even if I lift the suspension 2 - 3 inches, the differential housing will remain the same, correct? I can put bigger wheels, but that will raise the differential housing by only an inch or two, correct? Am I missing something or can the best I can expect from the LX570 in terms of clearance is only about 10 inches?

You got it. Enjoy your LX and don't worry about pumpkin clearance. Driving off road requires route finding, skills, and sometimes a spotter.
Unless you're doing crazy stuff you should be fine with bigger tires.
What use do you have in mind that concerns you?

You got it. Enjoy your LX and don't worry about pumpkin clearance. Driving off road requires route finding, skills, and sometimes a spotter.
Unless you're doing crazy stuff you should be fine with bigger tires.
What use do you have in mind that concerns you?
Than you for your input, Doru. Nothing specific concerns me. It's a general concern as to whether 9 to 10 inch clearance of the diff housing is something I should address when doing ... say "moderate" offroading/overlanding. Thanks again!
George

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and this is my first post! So, I'm in the process of learning and trying to figure out my first modification to my 2009 LX570. More on that on another today. The issue I'd like to address today in this thread is clearance. Stock, the rig has only about 8.25 inch clearance at the lowest point of the vehicle - namely the differential housing. Even if I lift the suspension 2 - 3 inches, the differential housing will remain the same, correct? I can put bigger wheels, but that will raise the differential housing by only an inch or two, correct? Am I missing something or can the best I can expect from the LX570 in terms of clearance is only about 10 inches?

Spot on. Differential and rear axle clearance is something that can only be addressed with larger tires. No amount of suspension lift changes this.

Depending on the type of off-roading, this clearance can definitely enter the equation. Most casual off-roading won't see this as a limitation. Getting into loose surfaces, soft ground, obstacles that have been dug out, more rural areas with rutted tracks, and this can come into play.

Over the last 5 years or so, the off-road landscape seems to have changed with tracks and moguls becoming deeper because of the elevated levels of equipment. 33s use to be a big tire. Today, 35s are the new 33s, and you can see that in how deep some ruts are, especially against obstacles or grades where open diff rigs with big tires dig deep trenches.

Back to your question on mods, as the LX570 already has capability for suspension lift stock. Which can be further extended with a sensor lift for 4"+ of total suspension lift. Focus on bigger tires. Inches here sound small but can make meaningful differences. Stocks are 31.5s. Cake to go to 33s while maintaining a well balanced rig for daily driving. Easy to go 34s. With some key mods, 35s are in reach but starts compromising some other use cases unless being very particular to address gearing, brakes, etc.

Interesting trivia, 80-series and 100-series had offset pumpkins which gave them a unique feature that drivers could use to their advantages for pumpkin clearance.

A couple years ago I took various measurements in the first post of this below thread showing ground clearance with 34s and 35s on the 200. You are correct adding a lift does not increase ground clearance at the differentials - only tire size does. Getting to know where the differentials are and adjusting driving line is the best practice for avoiding dings, but it takes time and practice to learn where stuff hangs down (like the lower control arm mount in back). The good news is learning in the field is fun and your skills will improve the more you do it.

In my experience, scraping the rear bumper is more common than being hung on the rear diff. These things are long and departure angle is bad—even with a high clearance bumper. I got a chuckle recently when I noticed how scraped up my hitchride bike rack is

1694447615280.png

I could swear that my LC rear pumpkin measured at 8.9" or around there. Stock suspension. Stock tire size...at the time of measurement, i had BFG KO2 285/60/18.

Spot on. Differential and rear axle clearance is something that can only be addressed with larger tires. No amount of suspension lift changes this.

Depending on the type of off-roading, this clearance can definitely enter the equation. Most casual off-roading won't see this as a limitation. Getting into loose surfaces, soft ground, obstacles that have been dug out, more rural areas with rutted tracks, and this can come into play.

Over the last 5 years or so, the off-road landscape seems to have changed with tracks and moguls becoming deeper because of the elevated levels of equipment. 33s use to be a big tire. Today, 35s are the new 33s, and you can see that in how deep some ruts are, especially against obstacles or grades where open diff rigs with big tires dig deep trenches.

Back to your question on mods, as the LX570 already has capability for suspension lift stock. Which can be further extended with a sensor lift for 4"+ of total suspension lift. Focus on bigger tires. Inches here sound small but can make meaningful differences. Stocks are 31.5s. Cake to go to 33s while maintaining a well balanced rig for daily driving. Easy to go 34s. With some key mods, 35s are in reach but starts compromising some other use cases unless being very particular to address gearing, brakes, etc.

Interesting trivia, 80-series and 100-series had offset pumpkins which gave them a unique feature that drivers could use to their advantages for pumpkin clearance.
Thanks so much for your insight! And yes, I'll focus on tires first. I'm just starting, so I'm planning to get 285/70R17 on Method 706s. These are 33" so this should be good for most "moderate" trails. The fact is I'd like to keep this rig for other purposes such as long family road trips and for skiing. The reality is that I will be on pavement most of the time, but I want to make it also off-road worthy. George.

Just to muddy the waters :hillbilly:

20200626_191032-min-600x600.jpg

https://werewolftech.com/image/cache/catalog/Portal%20Axles%20/Toyota/LC%20200/20200728_094636-min-600x600.jpg[img]

You're absolutely right in that larger tires is GENERALLY the only thing you can do to increase clearance under the axle. Portal axles are an exception to that rule, but prohibitively expensive for most and not really needed for general wheeling.

Last edited:
I could swear that my LC rear pumpkin measured at 8.9" or around there. Stock suspension. Stock tire size...at the time of measurement, i had BFG KO2 285/60/18.
My rig is 2009 LX570 and stock tires are 285/50R20. Perhaps that can account for the difference.

A couple years ago I took various measurements in the first post of this below thread showing ground clearance with 34s and 35s on the 200. You are correct adding a lift does not increase ground clearance at the differentials - only tire size does. Getting to know where the differentials are and adjusting driving line is the best practice for avoiding dings, but it takes time and practice to learn where stuff hangs down (like the lower control arm mount in back). The good news is learning in the field is fun and your skills will improve the more you do it.

Mcgaskins, thank you so much for your response! Also, your previous post is so helpful! Best, George.

My rig is 2009 LX570 and stock tires are 285/50R20. Perhaps that can account for the difference.
same difference. You should be similar clearance.

35s for the cost of Method wheels and Kenda Klever 35x10.5x17 which was roughly $3k. Sensor lift and mud flap removal are free.

Also, you can put bigger wheels, but likely don’t want to, in favor of bigger tires if really hitting trails and rock gardens.

In my experience, scraping the rear bumper is more common than being hung on the rear diff. These things are long and departure angle is bad—even with a high clearance bumper. I got a chuckle recently when I noticed how scraped up my hitchride bike rack is

View attachment 3426387
Wow! I want to see videos of the hill you were going up when you did that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom