Replacing Seat belts - FJ60 - My own experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I recently saw a few posts about replacing the seat belts for the FJ60. For a while I wanted to change mine, because they did not retract well, they did not work at times, and were always hanging to the point I couldn't close the door because they will hang that low. (Plus I was afraid to have my kids ride the cruiser).

I wanted to share MY experience replacing the ones on my 84.

The first dilema I was facing was: new vs refurbished. I saw a post about several places that you can send your old ones in, and they service and rewebb them. I called around and found that what they do (and for the price they do it, seemed to me not worth the hassle) to have old ones.

My recommendation: if you have one that was like eaten by a dog or a dinosaur, then it could be worth sedding it to get new webbing and they do it for like $70+ or so (as of 2021) each.
If you think something is wrong with the mechanism, then I dont think is worth going that route.

So, I decided to go the NEW route.

The second dilemma was: is it easy enough for me to do, or do I have to pay someone? It is easy. If I can do it, you can do it.

My recommendation: do it yourself and save some money in labor.

The final dilemma was: which one should I buy?? there are several options out there. I did some research and went with seatbelt planet's front package. I called them and those guys do a great job making sure you get what you need.

Here is the link to the ones I got:
1981-Early 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60, Driver & Passenger Seat Belt Kit - https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498848-1981-early-1984-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-driver-passenger-seat-belt-kit.html?ref=category:1389634

1- Removal:
Here is a picture of the old ones being taken out:
Old ones:
20210127_144935[1].jpg

Note: the "lead ball" is the old gravity system, the new ones do not have that.

20210127_144457.jpg
20210127_144503.jpg

Note: there is a plastic dust cover that you need to take out and reinstall with the new ones. I took mine out cleaned it up of 30 plus years of dust and crap, and reinstalled them.
20210127_144506.jpg

This is the screw that holds the dust cover in place.
For the female receivers:
Note: the new ones do not have the seatbelt light switch inside them. (no after market does). So, in order for the light to be off (instead of on all the time) you need to cut the wires and ground them to the frame (that is what the engineer at seatbelt [planet told me). I did that and there is no light anymore. :) I am actually happy about that, because the light and noise was annoying as hell.

2nd note: I had to remove the center console to be able to access the bolt for the female receiver for the passenger seat.

2- Install:
It only took me like a few hrs to replaced them.

20210928_211936[1].jpg

Here is a picture of the new ones. (I have a side y side picture) My 84 is a late model, they come with that bracket. Some models the bracket is different. If you are not sure what t buy, CALL THEM. They do a pretty good job in helping you find the right fit.

They DO come with ALL the hardware (screws, washers, covers, etc.) you do not need anything else to install them except the old dust covers.

Finally, after the dust cover is cleaned up, the old ones out, installing the new ones was a breeze. They take 3 screws total (3!!).
1 screw goes to the lower door frame of the car that secures it in place. Note: make sure you center it when you are tightening the bolt and hold it on the center, so the webbing is not rubbing against the frame).

1 screw goes to the upper door frame (the new ones come with all black plastic trim not brown).

1 screw goes to the floor frame to secure the other end of the 3 point belt. For the lower connection you need to install an "L" shaped bracket that attaches to the floor under the console.

Note: There is a plastic piece that holds the webbing in place, it comes with a warning that states not to remove it until the seat belts are installed. So, make sure you do that.

I have a couple of DIY videos for the entire process, but I have not uploaded them to youtube yet. (coming soon) and then I will upload the link here.

Anyway, hope this helps some people at least to get started.
_________

PROS:
*Level of difficulty: Low
*Price point: About $300 for new ones for both front ones (they have rear 3 point conversion ones as well) I am doing that next when time and money permits. (I understand for some people this price point could be a CON, kind is for me as well to be honest). I get it, BUT I want to be able to have my kids ride with me, and I wanted new ones. PERIOD. I wont compromise with the little ones. So, I saved a bit for them.
*Availability: they are made to order, I paid an extra $30 for expedited shipping and I got them in about a week.
*They have any color you want for the webbing. Some colors are more expensive.
*The system is not "gravity" mechanism like the old ones.

CONS:
* Color of the plastic trims is black (does not look bad, but I would had preferred brown).
* There are no instructions! (and I mean, nothing!) I think some instructions can go a long way. (Some of the reason for this post).
* Price

There it is folks. Hope this help some start the process.
Thanks,
Jonathan
(I will post more pictures later).

Great write up! I’m gonna need to do this soon. Mine are starting to wear out.

The listing says 81-84. This should fit all 60 series... correct?
Yes. I believe so. BUT the 84 year is tricky because the late 84 I believe is different.
So, call ahead to make sure it fits your year.
But from what I understand, yes, they will fit all fj60.

Great write up! I need to do this as well as rears. I would like to add should straps in the rear to my '83.
You might as well go all the way and install headrests in the bench seat as well. Someone did a write up on that topic. You could also change out to an fj62 rear seat with factory installed headrests. 3 point belts are way safer than 2 point, but in my opinion it’s a moot point if your head can snap backwards against the backside of the seat in an accident.

You might as well go all the way and install headrests in the bench seat as well. Someone did a write up on that topic. You could also change out to an fj62 rear seat with factory installed headrests. 3 point belts are way safer than 2 point, but in my opinion it’s a moot point if your head can snap backwards against the backside of the seat in an accident.
Great point about the back seat. Did not even think about it. I need to consider that as well. Fortunately, my kids are in car seats still, so, I have no immediate need for it. But definitely a future project for sure.

Guys.
I have these still, if anyone needs them, just send me a PM. I will give them away for free if someone can use them.
Maybe if a dog ate yours or whatever.
Anyways.
I will keep them in my garage for a while.

20211003_123430.jpg

both work fine.

Thanks.

Guys.
I have these still, if anyone needs them, just send me a PM. I will give them away for free if someone can use them.
Maybe if a dog ate yours or whatever.
Anyways.
I will keep them in my garage for a while.

View attachment 2812678
both work fine.

Thanks.
Glad to take them. 78070. Let me know what I owe you for freight etc. thanks. Jimmy

Just wanted to see if anyone has an answer the following.

I did my front set of seatbelts from seatbelt planet on my 1990 62 and my existing seatbelts which were OEMs were fully bolted in but with no nut attached to the bolt underneath the frame. Did Toyota OEM have a nut attached to the seatbelt bolts?

Also, did anyone have any issue getting the seatbelt planet bolts fully bolted (bolt and nut through into the frame? The bolt's made it about 3/4 of the way through, but wouldn't go past being flush with the frame; hence, nut can't be placed on.

Thanks for any input you guys have!

The seat belts don't attach to the frame, they attach to the body. They should thread into nuts that are welded to brackets underneath the floor. Have you crawled underneath to see if the brackets and nuts are still there? They can get pretty rusty. I recently removed my front seatbelts and had to put a torch on them to get some of the bolts out.

The seat belts don't attach to the frame, they attach to the body. They should thread into nuts that are welded to brackets underneath the floor. Have you crawled underneath to see if the brackets and nuts are still there? They can get pretty rusty. I recently removed my front seatbelts and had to put a torch on them to get some of the bolts out.
They were so caked in sh*t, but yes I now see the nuts as you described. Thanks for your help, wonder why SB planet includes those.

Don’t rely on the production year. My US spec 1983 FJ60 has the post 83 floor pan, so remove the old seat belt before you order.

Last edited:
Before you buy new front seatbelts, sometimes you can get lucky and just clean the living daylights out of your current ones and they will retract again. My firstgen 4runner was like this. I removed it the entire seatbelt, pulled the belt all the way out, scrubbed it with dawn dish soap and water and let it dry for a day. Reinstalled it and it worked like new.

Strangely enough this isnt always the case because we tried this on a S13 as well and there was no change. Seems like sometimes the retracting mechanisim is just weak, but also sometimes its just 30 years of oil dirt and grime making them not want to retract.

I bought these:

Just arrived, and attempting to install. But, I am having a hard time here. I have a '83, but did I get the wrong kit??

In the pic with the botls and washers, thats all the hardware variations I got (ofc I got more than 4 total) What did I do wrong here?

I didnt send my originals back for rewebbing. I simply purchased the kit I linked above...

20221220_141241.jpg

20221220_141650.jpg

You will need to remove the dogleg bracket from the old assembly and bolt it to the new assembly. I had to do the same on my 84, I seem to recall having to drill out the bolts/rivets to remove the bracket. If you zoom in really close on this photo, you can see how I have the driver's side mounted.

Also - you will need to source new nuts/bolts yourself to re-attach the bracket.

EEAAF760-8DE3-4DF3-A0D5-D5F54CF31B11_1_201_a.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom