Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdc1

SILVER Star
Threads
I just picked up this 1972 40 from WV. Took a chance and it turned out pretty clean. Going to be removing the SBC and going back to stock F engine. I have a running engine sitting in my 73 that needs a complete frame off that I will borrow as this will be quicker to put on the road.

Tonight I pulled the gas tank to see what was underneath and it looks good. Also took the shopvac to the squirrel condos. Game plan is to pull the 350, get it cleaned up, reinstall the stock drivetrain and get it running/driving/stopping. Then focus on rust and making it look better.
image.jpg

Good for you! I don't think I've ever seen one going that way. Usually someone installing a V8, and I gotta admit, I'm not a big fan of those. Just doesn't seem right, taking the guts out of a Cruiser. My opinion anyway, though I know a lot of people do like that. Either way, good luck with your swap.

The Saddle mount across the front of the SBC was an OK way to do the conversion, the main draw back was that it interfered with Saginaw steering conversions. Being done that way will make it easier for you to return it to stock form.

Where it WV did ya find it? Good luck with the build, can't wait to see the progress! Rust doesn't look too bad! If your around my area feel free to come rummage my basement for parts, I've got way to much lying around!

nice looking rig but it looks like the cowl has tipped forward causing some misalignment .going back to stock is good i have done that many times over the years and will be doing it again this summer.good luck

We found it just north of Charleston. I have a newer pickup for dd duties and this will be a weekend toy to mess around with the kids so no need for the 350 and stock drivetrain seems like the right thing to do to this one. It seems like it slid into a tree or rock at one point as the rocker panel is crimped behind the running board. There is also some bondo in the passenger side fender so I can't tell what is causing the misalignment.

As of right now, I a trying to figure out seats. It has stock seat base but no seats. I do like the idea of going to buckets but if I can find the bench at the right price that's what I will do. Not to worried about it as the F reinstall is first priority. The stock frame side motor mounts are there but they are welded and it looks like they might have been moved compared to my 73.

the cowl leaning forward is common on some older cruisers ,if the doors dont close right you may need to pull it back and weld in some metal to hold it there ,still its a good start for a 40 of that age .

I removed a 350 for my 2F.

My non-toyota friends don't understand why I didn't want the HP. The low RPM torque more than makes up for the lack of HP.

Sure, just like personality makes up for looks at high school prom. My 2F is great for short wheeling trips. I too ADHD for patience

sbc chevy removal

I want to do the same conversion on my fj45 i have a 2f donor but I,m not sure where my engine will end up with a toyota bell housing instead of an advanced adapters please take notes and keep me posted of any problems i might run into thanks Dale in Colorado

Got the transmission tunnel removed. Also found a custom milk jug/duct tape mod for the heater duct. If anyone wants me to do a seperate write up let me know.

I am pretty disappointed that they cut the firewall to make room for the bellhousing but I have another cowl to cut a patch from.
image.jpg

I didn't have the heart to start pulling parts off of the 73 FST so thanks to two mudders we will be installing an early 80's 2F drivetrain with 4 speed tranny and transfer. My dad pulled a disc brake conversion from his spare parts to go with a minitruck power steering conversion.

In the next few weeks, my plan is to remove unneeded modifications to the wiring harness and continue degreasing and cleaning.

There is a fabrication/resto shop a few miles from the house that I will have repair the cut firewall/tranny hump, burn in the new motor mounts and make sure everything is lined up. They are very reasonably priced and their work is too knotch.

Goal of this build is to have a reliable rig for hunting and mild offroad. It will probably get a small lift and AT tires.

The Saddle mount across the front of the SBC was an OK way to do the conversion, the main draw back was that it interfered with Saginaw steering conversions. Being done that way will make it easier for you to return it to stock form.
On my 72 it also interfered with the mechanical fuel pump. John

On my 72 it also interfered with the mechanical fuel pump. John

Makes sence, I read about them before doing my conversion back in 96... So it's been a while.

I can understand wanting an F motor again... I was opposed to an SBC when I swapped mine in, but it was either that, or scrap the truck. Getting a rebuilt F/2F was going to cost more than a new 40, and more than I could afford at the time.

2f is being stripped to get mocked into the engine compartment so we can square away motor mounts. I am currently waiting for the USPS to figure out which PO floor my clutch parts and frame mounts are laying on.

This engine came from an early 80s FJ60 but there isn't a serial number on the passenger side plate. Was this a replacement engine?

I will be running F intake and carb to clear brake booster.
image.jpg

Quick update. The 40 is in the speed shop getting the firewall/ tranny hump repaired. I lucked out and had a junk cowl that had all the necessary patches. They are repairing the main beam where it was rotten as well. While dealing with the crazy lack of spring temperatures I have been degreasing drivetrain and accumulating parts. The yard pics were taken yesterday less than 6 hours apart.

The next step is to have the frame sandblasted and then install drivetrain.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom