Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, looks like a good project. Thank goodness in Dallas and Little Rock we are hitting the 70s now and I can open the garage doors to extend my work areas. I too prefer the Toyota engine, not the fastest but lasts a long time . Mike

image.jpg

We have been accumulating parts and slowly making progress. 2F is painted and am I am working on resealing. Poser's thread on oil pan and side cover gaskets was a big help. I removed the bearing cap and it pulled off and reinstalled in about 5 minutes. Tranny and transfer are being resealed. I had the flywheel resurfaced and sandblasted. Beno, dropped off OEM clutch parts on his way through. Today, I pressure washed the firewall in preparation for paint.

Just finished up the same conversion on my '77 40. Good luck!

...Sent from the Swell using sticks and rocks

In hindsight, buying a complete parts truck or running drivetrain would have been a lot cheaper/quicker than trying to piece engine/clutch/tranny/transfer together from separate sources.
But then we would not have had all that quality bonding time and growth thru agreeing to disagree. I think with all the help, parts, and advice from Schmukster and all the others it will be a quality build and a good truck. I think that anything like this has it's multiple turning points, some lag and flow issues make it hard to see the end in sight, but stay with it and it will be.

Slowly accumulating parts and working on 40 as time and weather permit. Build is progressing and plan is in place.

Frame sandblasted/ecoat dip/satin urethane topcoat
76 disc front axle conversion
OME heavy 2.5" lift
BFG KM2 33x10.5x15
Stock Steelies

1984 2F
H42 4 speed
4 speed transfer

FJ 40 Power Steering
OEM Roll Bar w/ 3 point seat belts
Stock 60/40 split bench

Hardtop and early doors

Last edited:
Looks good. Enjoying your write up. Keep taking pictures.....

The frigid weather has put the frame painters behind and it will not be ready until later this week.

My next steps are axle rebuilds.

The rear will be getting Poser's rear disc brake conversion and a pinion flange to match the drive shaft.

I have a 76 donor for disc brakes. It has had the perches cut off in prep for a SO from the PO. I ordered spring perches from RuffStuff and will be installing them onto the newer axle.

Just for conversations sake, will the brake parts from the 76 fit into the 72 axle housing without any "adjustments"?

Looks like a really cool project! If you get bored, you can check out the restoration build I did. I also pulled a Farmer John V8 conversion out of my truck in favor of something more Toyota'ish. I opted for the 3FE!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1973-fj40-restoration.611256/

I've been watching your build for a long time, looks awesome. The more that I get into this truck, the more that it looks like they dropped the 350 in and promptly broke it. It had a cracked bellhousing and hardly any hours on a gm crate engine w/ a marine carb. We ended up giving it to our mechanic that bails us out when we get in over our heads. He traded it for a months rent so we built some points up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom