Remove white cap of hard top only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, is it possible/safe to only remove the white cap of my FJ40's hardtop? I need to re-do the headliner, and it seems like it would be much easier with the roof upside down on saw horses. I didn't know if there would be enough lateral stability for the windows without the white cap in place. Thanks.

Yes, you can, but it's much easier just to remove the entire top. Reattaching the fiberglass and driprail isn't a couple of screws...

You can remove the drip rail and cap together. No need to separate those 2. The drip rail / cap is bolted to the sides with 6mm bolts.
do I need to worry about the side panels falling outward/inward or are the bottom bolts sufficient to keep everything in place? I obviously will NOT be driving like this.

The side panels shouldn't move with the bolts on and the white cap off.
Due to storage issues, that's the first part I take off to run a bikini top..then doors...sides etc.

Last edited:
My point was that if you remove the top cap and drip rail, you'll need to address the seal, if it's never been pulled before. If you don't, you won't. I would not disassemble the top to install a new headliner, but that's just me.

It was disassembled within the last few months for a full paint job. The (not original) headliner/indoor-outdoor carpet was re-installed by the body shop but the glue didn't hold. Everything "should" be fresh and easy to work with as its all new seals/bolts/etc.

Tip: Install a Yakima or other drip rail style roof rack before removing the cap, and then when you flip it over, it will have a solid surface to rest on, and the fiberglass dome will not flex or bend.

Back in the day I had to remove the top myself on my '79. Usually did it once a year. I didn't have a shop or even a covered parking place. So I always took the cap off separately for ease in handling. Front & rear doors, cap, & sides all stored in the breakfast nook of my rent house.

Good luck with the headliner. Mine had some issues, pretty tough install in the back. It would have been a lot better without the drip rail; but there's no way I was taking off the drip rail just to install the headliner.
I even had an upholstery friend at the house helping me and he said we're gonna need some luck in the back. The headliner I had just wouldn't lay right back there.

Your 40 is not as fragile as you think… The vehicle is like a Lego tank. It’s made to come apart in chunks. Just unbolt the roof, it will be fine. I’m actually doing the same myself (after driving around with 6 bolts and a C clamp for 3-4 years)

D36E0D3B-22C9-4524-8F41-B1D92D152821.jpeg

I would definitely take the cap off for this. I did a pretty poor job on my headliner, and I had it off on sawhorses.

The only challenge might be getting everything to line back up when you go to reinstall it. not a huge deal, but you'll probably need to loosen up a lot of your hard top bolts to get stuff to line up, but it's not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom