Remflex gasket torque on exhaust headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,
Did the tri mil header install on my 85 fj60, think the machining was definitely worth it so far as it’s all lined up evenly after some shimming and massaging Looks like everything is pretty level, but I’m wondering if it’s torqued enough. I went to 21 ft pounds (within the range recommended in the box of 20-25) but it’s not really crushing like it should. What do you guys think? Half the gasket is supposed to be crushed according to the manufacturer and it’s clearly not yet. Has anyone used Remflex and torqued it past recommended spec?

Facts about the custom install: I had to use a half washers on the HEADER side because the machinist took everything down and rewelded the headers on the front side, making the header flange slightly narrower in some spots compared to the intake. I also employed oval washers (custom grinder by yours truly) to fit in the eyelets. I’ll do a full post on this at some point, took a while to figure out how to tackle it!

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

Use the manufacturer's recommended torque on the Remflex. Over-torqueing causes them to fail. You can go to the top of the range (25 lbs) if you're worried and your torque wrench is accurate, tightening in proper sequence.

Having used one on the Slant 6 in my old Plymouth (they work awesome BTW), they do not compress down when torqued. When you're holding one in your hand they kind of feel like they should compress, but when installed they don't, so your 21 ft-lbs should be just about perfect for it.

Remflex is the best IMO, I am running those headers as well. Don't be tempted to over torque them.
I fell into temptation and went to 28.............we'll see

Having to do the job again. It failed. Over torquing or not my setup was bad because I had the header machined. My bolts were at tough angeled and I didn't shim it properly, so I didn't have enough clamp force for it to seal. Apparently bolts have to be within .1mm of straight for them to clamp on the surfaces properly. Been cutting and measuring like a mad man the last week.

Gunna go with Remflex again and will post here.

Dan

Having "issues" with the half moon on the intake (the spot where the bolt mates onto). There's some warpage from a previous bolt and its making it difficult to get my shim on all the way (see video). theres like .2-.3 mm in height difference, meaning the bolt wouldnt be straight

Any ideas on how to "machine" this back down? It's also warped .1 mm the other way laterally meaning the bolt would aslo be pointing slightly upwards.

was told by a fellow cruisrehead .1mm is a lot for a bolt and it wont sit flush and provide proper clamp force. Imt hinking this could be part of my sealing issue from before.

thanks dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom