Redline MT-90 - Is it worth the premium?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished rebuilding my 3 speed trans and t-case. I'm wondering if anyone has felt any huge benefits from using Redline fluids in their transmissions? Is it worth the $15-$20 a quart?

Interesting, just last week I was looking at doing my transmission and transfer case fluid change. After a $hit-load of research, I ended up with a case of Driven GO 80W90 GL-4 gear oil.

FWIW - A few years ago, the first fluid change I did to them, I used the MT-90. I didn't notice any difference in shifting performance....then the next fluid change, I put in some NAPA GL-4/GL-5 stuff. It didn't change the shifting performance either. I don't expect the Driven gear oil to change the performance either, but it's the path I'm taking.

If you are going to run that high dollar stuff make sure you trans and transfer case has no leaks.
On the X19 chat guys have put redline in their supposedly tight transmission only to find it leaking out of until then unnoticed places.
I run royal purple on my car trans but can't tell any difference from the old stuff. There is still a leak in the FJ40 transfer so stick with NAPA 80/90.
It has been running the last 49 years with regular 80/90 and an added half pint every thousand or so miles so I guess it will have to run another 49 with it.
I am sure there is someone out there with charts and statistics showing how much better one product is over another but to my untrained eye or that should be nose the only difference is the newer lubricants smell better than the old stuff and costs more.

Thanks guys! I kind of figured that might be the answer.

I thought it helped the 5 speed shifting in my ‘85 4Runner but that could have been my imagination. I just bought a ‘94 FZJ75 pickup and it’s a bit touchy down shifting into 2nd. I would like to try some MT-90 to see if it helps but I haven’t found any in Riyadh yet. One of their selling points is that it supposedly helps synchros line up easier/better/faster?? Will be a great experiment if I try it.

I guess I will offer the dissenting opinion. Based on my experience with air-cooled motorcycle engines, I am completely sold on the benefits of synthetic lube products.

When I bought my 40, 11 years ago, I changed all the fluids. When I put Amsoil Severe Gear lube in the H42, it was immediately quieter and smoother shifting (have no idea what the previous owner had in it - looked and smelled like ordinary gear lube though). Have since put it in my H41 and Orion transfer case also. Neither has any leaks.

I buy that stuff in 5-gal. pails and use it in every gear box, transfer case, and differential that I own. I even run it in my winch gearbox. I don't play in the mud or do a lot of water crossings where I wheel, so I don't change my diff lube every year some people do.

Just about ready to do mine as well. I have heard several folks on other automotive threads mention quieter, smother shifts. I AM a huge fan of synthetics in general. It did seem to make the rear diff in my other half’s 4Runner seem smoother and quieter as well. Cant see how using a premium lubricant is ever a bad thing👍

I use Brad Penn conventional GL-4 Never had a problem with my trans but when I changed I did notice it was smoother shifting. Also not suppose to eat "yellow" metal ( synchros,etc.) like the modern GL-5 oils can.

Resurrecting this thread - I recently put Sta-Lube GL-4 in my '82 ROW gear box - I don't know what the previous owner used, but he wasn't particularly diligent about regular maintenance.... the shifting got a bit worse... more notchy and less smooth.

Other recommendations that have worked well for folks? does it 'NEED' to be GL-4 or can you use GL-4? asking as I do know that on older Land Rovers, it does need to be GL-4. I can't find the spec in the FJ manual I do have.... so am wondering if GL-5 is better....

Thanks!

Resurrecting this thread - I recently put Sta-Lube GL-4 in my '82 ROW gear box - I don't know what the previous owner used, but he wasn't particularly diligent about regular maintenance.... the shifting got a bit worse... more notchy and less smooth.

Other recommendations that have worked well for folks? does it 'NEED' to be GL-4 or can you use GL-4? asking as I do know that on older Land Rovers, it does need to be GL-4. I can't find the spec in the FJ manual I do have.... so am wondering if GL-5 is better....

Thanks!
I would use GL-4. Some people debate if GL-5 is OK but it is not worth it to risk it IMO. I went with Redline because it is synthetic and a lot of guys in the Toyota mini truck scene sing its praises. 1 Gal was enough to do my 3 speed and t-case. Im a believer in full synthetics ever since I saw ( or could hear) what a difference switching to synthetics made in my 2.7L Tacoma back in college.

Last edited:

Thanks!
I had redline in my Hilux G52 and it was OK. Put the STA-lube in my Tacoma and experienced the same thing you did - shifting got worse. I switched to Amsoil MTG 75/90 synthetic (not redline but just as pricey) and it made a world of difference. On the flip side when I switched to redline in my H55f I didn’t really notice a difference over the cheap stuff. I will try the Amsoil next.

IMO minitruck transmissions shift a lot smoother than cruisers anyway and it’s easier to feel a difference

I would only use GL4 in the transmission because of the yellow metal, GL5 you risk wear on those parts. I use redline in all my Toyota manual transmisions

I would only use GL4 in the transmission because of the yellow metal, GL5 you risk wear on those parts. I use redline in all my Toyota manual transmisions
Yes, normally when GL5, but that Red Line 75W90NS:
• Improved copper corrosion protection to prolong synchro life
• Non corrosive formula, safe for use with all synchro materials

I thought it helped the 5 speed shifting in my ‘85 4Runner but that could have been my imagination. I just bought a ‘94 FZJ75 pickup and it’s a bit touchy down shifting into 2nd. I would like to try some MT-90 to see if it helps but I haven’t found any in Riyadh yet. One of their selling points is that it supposedly helps synchros line up easier/better/faster?? Will be a great experiment if I try it.
Just to update. I brought a few quarts back with me of MT-90 and unfortunately it didn't help my downshift into second issues....didn't make it worse either. I'm guessing there's some issue with the synchros. Doesn't happen all the time but more than half. I'm still a firm believer in the products FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom