Is this 1977 BJ40 worth restoring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, first post. Been following this forum for a few months. Recently had an opportunity to pick up this BJ40 for $4k which is very reasonable considering where I live all vehicles are import taxed about 50%. However, as you will see in the pictures it undoubtedly needs some work. I've been looking for a project vehicle to learn to be a mechanic while repairing. Before I pull the trigger I want to find out if the frame, body, and engine are worth the price tag and if this has the "bones" to be worth putting time and money into. I have been told it had a used Toyota Prado turbo diesel motor swapped into it 5 ish years ago.

If anyone has any thoughts or input please do share!

EDIT:
I believe at some point it had a Toyota 14B or 14B-T put in as a replacement engine.

IMG_2017.jpeg

IMG_1947.jpeg

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1952.jpeg

IMG_1959.jpeg

Last edited:
is there an air cleaner on the outside of the fender?
scary homemade modification to the front rear spring hangers

yep. if you can weld and the price is right then there looks to be promise there but it’s going to take A LOT of time and work fixing it to first make it safe and drivable. the body isn’t awesome but at least there’s more body than rust.

i wouldn’t consider that one necessarily for a true restoration. that’ll take a lot of work and likely more money than it’s worth. making it a fun driver that isn’t all original and oem could be done.

looks like it’s been driven hard!

I like the concept of buying something to work on if you have all the other bases in life covered.
The world economy is going to change soon IMHO, $4000 would buy a fair amount of Beans; Bullets; Band-aids; which would be far more useful than a questionable old 4x4 that needs a lot of work, again IMHO.

Cool project, but sure you have a few jobs to do.
Since you seem to actually care about fixing it up rather than hacking it to work, the first thing is cleaning it up and unpicking the bad choices from POs.

Do you have a vacuum pump on the back of your alternator? Otherwise, what is the black hose from the servo connected to?

Looks like your vacuum actuator on the injection pump is also not connected, so worth a look there too.

Id get it jet washed and then start making a list and prioritising jobs. People here will be happy to find some faults for you to repair ;)

As for whether it's worth it, that depends on how much effort you're willing to put in, since labour is the main cost here.

Personally I think it's a great project to learn on, and by the time you're driving it you'll be a 40 series expert.

I like the concept of buying something to work on if you have all the other bases in life covered.
The world economy is going to change soon IMHO, $4000 would buy a fair amount of Beans; Bullets; Band-aids; which would be far more useful than a questionable old 4x4 that needs a lot of work, again IMHO.
I agree and appreciate your feedback!

Cool project, but sure you have a few jobs to do.
Since you seem to actually care about fixing it up rather than hacking it to work, the first thing is cleaning it up and unpicking the bad choices from POs.

Do you have a vacuum pump on the back of your alternator? Otherwise, what is the black hose from the servo connected to?

Looks like your vacuum actuator on the injection pump is also not connected, so worth a look there too.

Id get it jet washed and then start making a list and prioritising jobs. People here will be happy to find some faults for you to repair ;)

As for whether it's worth it, that depends on how much effort you're willing to put in, since labour is the main cost here.

Personally I think it's a great project to learn on, and by the time you're driving it you'll be a 40 series expert.
Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom