'77 FJ40 What's It Worth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WHAT'S IT WORTH? I'm thinking $35k... It's time to part with the cruiser. I've only put 50 miles on it in the last 5 years. It has been garage kept for the 12 years I have owned it. This was my first restoration, so it's definitely not perfect. Mostly original with the exception of pertronix ignition, flame thrower coil, 4" lift, and the speed liner. Located near Bryan, Texas.
100_9560.JPG
DSCN1996.JPG
20160807_171452.jpg
100_9560.JPG
DSCN1996.JPG
20160807_171452.jpg

I think 35k is a little high. Mileage on the mechanical is unknown. The desmog and bedliner on the firewall and exterior I think will hurt the value a fair bit as will the unoriginal color. From those pics assuming it runs well I would say 25k. If you grind off the exterior bedliner and paint it original mustard I think you could get over 30k.

B4 and after pics would be helpful to a potential buyer. When folks see bedliner, they wonder what's it hiding?

I mostly agree with White Stripe. I bet you can get it sold as it sits for 25-28k. You may have to advertise widely and wait for the right buyer to get those numbers, but that buyer exists. My bet is that it wont be a local sale.

That makes the $3,500 I spent on mine sound like a good deal.

I agree with all of the above posts. It looks like a nice rig but it is too far from original to bring top money for most educated buyers. It is a good example of why staying very close to original brings top money.

Bedliner would be a huge negative to me. Covering the factory welded on the rear sill if there are still there. The inside bottom of the wheel well has a strip of metal running crossways. Factory the rib end and the section below them is same as the rest of the wheel well. Would rather deal with mechanical issues than bring an body back to OEM.

Thanks for all the input. If anyone is looking for a '77, this one runs great and I'll work with them on price.

Great looking truck!
I'm not a purist myself, so its more important for me that it looks great, is usable, safe, and reliable above being strictly original.
I have a rubberised bed liner inside the back of mine which is ridiculously robust and most importantly I can use it as intended without scratching the paint.
I also have polyurethane on the wings (fenders?) which protects it against the worst of the african Bush and the odd elephant.

I don't know about value in your local market, but I think there are different people looking for different things.
Personally I wouldn't change a thing :)
(Ok maybe I'd put the air cleaner back on..)

Great looking truck!
I'm not a purist myself, so its more important for me that it looks great, is usable, safe, and reliable above being strictly original.
I have a rubberised bed liner inside the back of mine which is ridiculously robust and most importantly I can use it as intended without scratching the paint.
I also have polyurethane on the wings (fenders?) which protects it against the worst of the african Bush and the odd elephant.

I don't know about value in your local market, but I think there are different people looking for different things.
Personally I wouldn't change a thing :)
(Ok maybe I'd put the air cleaner back on..)
I agree with you. But when dealing with a classic line the FJ40 has become bedliner is a negative as far as value. Particularly if you do not have before pictures.

A perfect , stock, FJ40 has the highest value and attract the majority of collectors. However, there is a following that wants restomods in different styles . Take a look at FJ Company to see the real high numbers and most are mods . So, the person and price is out there somewhere.

The Icon and FJ Company offerings are a Status symbol. The people who buy those are looking at the name as much as the vehicle. Those buyers are are not you average person looking for an FJ40. Even the people looking for a true FJ40 are different. The ones looking for stock very nicely restored FJ40 are probably not going to use it what it was designed for. In a lot of cases it will be offered for sale again in a few years to buy the next classic they want to park in the garage. Even you buyer who actually wants to use look for different things. I'm in the dry Southwest and rust is huge for me. Other regions rust is just a way of life. Hidden rust is the big fear. No one anywhere wants to buy a clean nicely painted vehicle only to have rust bubbles start to appear. Well documented of what you started with and how it was repaired is really what should be done before it's painted. Would help. The unexplained strip of metal at the bottom of the wheel and bedliner are going to be a negative to experienced 40 series owners.

I agree with the comment paint the seat backs and rear heater in pewter. Would also paint the roll bar black. When selling a vehicle going to appeal to the largest number with the little bits inside stock colors.

It is interesting that when a person asks for "value" on here, They get a wide range of comments which are based on the many people here with histories that go way back. I have seen basket cases sell for > 35 K , and seen really good drivers sell for 9K. I suppose the correct combination is to find the right buyer and the right sales venue at the right time. Here is an example of a modified FJ40 sold on BAT . Not exactly the same but it is an example of not stock prices. If you go to BAT there are many modded FJ40s that someone liked and paid decent for it. Also, on BAT the FJCO and Icon seem to not be selling for the asking price well over 100,000.

It is interesting that when a person asks for "value" on here, They get a wide range of comments which are based on the many people here with histories that go way back. I have seen basket cases sell for > 35 K , and seen really good drivers sell for 9K. I suppose the correct combination is to find the right buyer and the right sales venue at the right time. Here is an example of a modified FJ40 sold on BAT . Not exactly the same but it is an example of not stock prices. If you go to BAT there are many modded FJ40s that someone liked and paid decent for it. Also, on BAT the FJCO and Icon seem to not be selling for the asking price well over 100,000.

It just confirms, There's a butt for every seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom