Hardtop What's it Worth ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking seriously of selling the hard top from my FJ. It is solid and rust free and so is the hatchback. There are some holes in it that have been drilled and a former owner put the weird diamond plate covers over the openings for the side windows, the corner glass is good and same with the back hatch. I'm not wanting to make a killing on it if I do sell but on the other hand I don't want to give it away as the money from it would go elsewhere in the project..

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

List it for $1500, if it doesn’t sell in a month or two, the price is too high.

Value is dependent on desire, if you can’t replace it for the price you sell it for, then that’s my indicator on selling price.

Use common sense and actually do some research, this info is so easy to find it frightens me how folks can’t figure it out. There isn’t a set price to any of this stuff; since yours isn’t pristine or one quality color, it won’t fetch the same as a nice original, rust free, hole free version.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for your input, that may well be a good starting point.

Just looking for a ballpark figure not some sort of certified retail value, more like "hey guys what are these going for?" and I know prices are not carved in stone when it comes to this stuff. I've been restoring, buying and selling vintage trucks and motorcycles for the past 50 years and enjoy the networking aspect with like minded souls as much as the build itself. My first FJ40 was in 1978 (new) and the last one in 87 (beat up 73) and now my current fixer upper (another beat up 73) so I've been out of the loop for awhile. Sure I can go on Fleabay and see what peoples shoot for the moon prices are, I'm just trying to find out what the average Joe just bought or sold one for.

Prices subject to change, your mileage may very. ;)

It's like the engine, if you have one, it's not worth much. If you need one, it;'s priceless.

I've seen them ranging from $1000-$2200. I sold my extra hard top for $800, as I needed to get rid of it for a move across country.

@Sky King
Looks like you live in beautiful part of NM, mind if I ask where?

We have property near Angel Fire and spend our summers up there.

Ian

That top would look better with no fake metal 'windows'. You might strip off any mods and take some close-up photos that show the actual condition. To me, that's a sub-$1K top in any case. Maybe ask $1200 and take $800 or better.

Fix it back to OEM and keep it. Hardtop is great in the colder months and more secure anytime. I cycle through running a hardtop, bestop and 2 different bikini tops every year depending on weather, passengers and destinations. It's good to have options.

+1 if you have a better one to use, then sell the extra. Shipping likely cost more than its worth IMHO so try to sell locally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom