Rear quarter panel space use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

with the rear storage platform, there is still enough space on the sides to unlatch the panel and slide it up and out.
Ahh:confused: .... Im looking for ideas on the passengers side. Do you have access and stuff in the passengers side also?

sure do ~ both sides. not very creative but useful for my storage needs

0824141507.jpg

Regarding Flexitank, I ordered mine the same time that @unwiredadventures ordered his. Not sure if he still has is. The quality of the unit itself seemed pretty good so I was happy there. As previously mentioned I could not get it to full install so I just used a zip tie to get it all snug. The sloshing of the water drove me nuts, kinda like the (2) 5-gal Scepters do now :bang:

As part of the instructions it says to not leave the water in the bladder, just use it for your trip and then empty. Well I didn't. The taste of the plastic migrated into the water so I treated it as non-potable water which is not what I had hoped for. I finally drained the water and the next time I went to use it there was a mildewy smell. Between all of these things and the fact that it takes up the ENTIRE passenger side cargo area, I finally just removed it. I personally wouldn't recommend it but others may find it useful if just using for washing dishes or bathing or?

Regarding the PS cargo area, the entire side panel is ridiculously easy to remove. Its about 10 clips worth of time. So 2 minutes. Once inside there is a TON of space. Unlike the 60 series, there are not vertical struts that need to be removed. I was desperate for Shane to make the entire cargo panel like I had discussed with him but he seems to be in jail or rehab or on his yacht or who knows so I've given up hope on that.

The cubbyhole is freaking useless and can be remove by snipping off about 4 plastic rivets, FYI.

If there is an inset panel made that attaches to the clip holes then there is a whole slew of items that could be installed in that space. I would concentrate on items that do not need constant care such as: Fuse Panels, Relays, Charge Controllers, Motorcycle Battery, Inverter, Amp, etc etc etc etc.

I would love to further discuss options concerning this. Its killing me that no one has been able to design a panel for this. Including myself. Here os what I was considering:
cargo panel.JPG
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 8.13.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 8.13.56 PM.png

I've got my amp where the woofer would go and power distribution behind the little cubby door. Forward are is for relays and big fuses for puma compressor.

The passenger side is a good place for fluids and spares if you remove the cubby part and just leave the door. I always thought the best storage would be to 86 the spare tire, cut a square out of the floor and weld in a large metal box that sat down in the spare tire space. Then you could make a door for it and have a bunch of storage down there.

I've been contemplating this right side storage area for a while. I've got cutouts in foamboard that have taken me a long ways, but to bring something to fruition, that will require a lot of Q&A. Here are a few starter questions.

1. Hard as it may be, how many people would find it acceptable to remove all colored interior plastic from the 2nd row seat all the way to the back? Doing this would certainly open up the possibilities. I understand the desire to keep things stock. Of course if you remove the plastic on the right side, you'd want to match it on the left.
2. Would the purpose of this be to create openings into the cavity behind? If so, is it dead space behind, or would it need a shelf or two of some sort?
3. Would it be able to extend any further out than the existing plastic? Basically, if you extended it out another 1/2" or more, it gives more possibilities. It's a rather small space.
4. Speakers...
5. Is there really enough usable space behind the section that a cruiser head would find it worth the $$$ to utilize it?

I've been contemplating this right side storage area for a while. I've got cutouts in foamboard that have taken me a long ways, but to bring something to fruition, that will require a lot of Q&A. Here are a few starter questions.

1. Hard as it may be, how many people would find it acceptable to remove all colored interior plastic from the 2nd row seat all the way to the back? Doing this would certainly open up the possibilities. I understand the desire to keep things stock. Of course if you remove the plastic on the right side, you'd want to match it on the left.
2. Would the purpose of this be to create openings into the cavity behind? If so, is it dead space behind, or would it need a shelf or two of some sort?
3. Would it be able to extend any further out than the existing plastic? Basically, if you extended it out another 1/2" or more, it gives more possibilities. It's a rather small space.
4. Speakers...
5. Is there really enough usable space behind the section that a cruiser head would find it worth the $$$ to utilize it?
Your on the right track. As much as I would love to remove both sides for some metal utilitarian panels I don't know if I would be willing to shell out the $$ for what it would cost to do. I'm not worried about keeping things stock. I would rather have function.

The passenger side is a good place for fluids and spares if you remove the cubby part and just leave the door. I always thought the best storage would be to 86 the spare tire, cut a square out of the floor and weld in a large metal box that sat down in the spare tire space. Then you could make a door for it and have a bunch of storage down there.

Like this dude...so well executed!:clap:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/more-cargo-room.167864/

Build a can that you will cut into the existing plastic panel :eek:
The lower shaded area is a solid front of the can with the upper green area is stretchy cargo net

Thoughts?

Done with my MAD paint skills:rolleyes: from a stolen drawning

Side can.JPG

Yeah, I don't need that area for actual cargo. I need it to permanently mount and hide s***. It's stuff I don't want/need exposed.

Yeah, I don't need that area for actual cargo. I need it to permanently mount and hide ****. It's stuff I don't want/need exposed.
Kinda like the "wedding stuff" box in the background? Seems to be taking up prime real-estate in the garage. I'm with you though regarding the panel area. I rather put stuff in there that I want hidden or is rarely used.

Kinda like the "wedding stuff" box in the background? Seems to be taking up prime real-estate in the garage.

Ah! Thus the logic of the Office Depot box orientation. Everything I care about is closest to the workbench and door to the house. Everything that slowly disappears is closest to the garage door. Month after month boxes just seem to "disappear". It's the weirdest thing. :D

A comment on marine water tanks. I've ordered custom tanks from Ronco (ronco-plastics.com) and they are super responsive and affordable and make high quality, very durable tanks quickly. I made a cardboard prototype, and then sent the dimensions in; they sent back a great tank for less than $150. They can put inlets/outlets wherever you want as well. Once some mudder orders a tank that fits, it will probably show up in their catalog...

A comment on marine water tanks. I've ordered custom tanks from Ronco (ronco-plastics.com) and they are super responsive and affordable and make high quality, very durable tanks quickly. I made a cardboard prototype, and then sent the dimensions in; they sent back a great tank for less than $150. They can put inlets/outlets wherever you want as well. Once some mudder orders a tank that fits, it will probably show up in their catalog...

That's very cool to know. My drawer build has never started because I've has the toughest time trying to find a reliable stainless steel fabricator to make a water tank to be inset into the rear of the drawer build. Obviously with baffles to limit sloshing. I hasn't considered plastic but maybe I should. Thanks for the link. :cheers:

I can see the benefit of having space for things you want hidden, but I think most folks would want a bit of extra space to toss loose items. Flashlight, first aid kit, small tool kit, etc.

I like the net/cubby idea

I can see the benefit of having space for things you want hidden, but I think most folks would want a bit of extra space to toss loose items. Flashlight, first aid kit, small tool kit, etc.

I like the net/cubby idea

Agreed, but there are plenty of options to do just that. This space is prime for all the stuff you don't need to hunt down and find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom