Rear quarter panel space use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phil, since nearly everyone gets rid of their 3rd row seats and with them the seatbelts, why not design something that bolts to that large threaded hole on the top of rear pillar so can hold:
* small extinguisher
* fixed blade knife
* small flashlight
* small first aid kit
* gear wrench with 10 and 12mm ends ;)

That would be super useful and convenient!!!

Man I wish I has these tools available to me because I would just make these my damn self :flipoff2:

What will you do for airflow?

Things will get warm and toasty in there pretty quick :doh:

Good question. My thought was the speaker grill would work for in bound air. Other than that to don't have a solution. The Viair does get hot to the touch when going. On my previous Jeep I had it mounted in the engine bay with no issues. I can't see it getting any hotter in the quarter panel than under the hood.

Phil, since nearly everyone gets rid of their 3rd row seats and with them the seatbelts, why not design something that bolts to that large threaded hole on the top of rear pillar so can hold:
* small extinguisher
* fixed blade knife
* small flashlight
* small first aid kit

Man I wish I has these tools available to me because I would just make these my damn self :flipoff2:

I also thought of mounting a fire extinguisher using that unused seatbelt bolt but it might be a chore to get if needed. Not easily reached from the back with tire carrier or from second row seats. My flashlights are all small lithium ones are not big enough to mount. I think a first aid kit would be perfect there.

I also thought of mounting a fire extinguisher using that unused seatbelt bolt but it might be a chore to get if needed. Not easily reached from the back with tire carrier or from second row seats. My flashlights are all small lithium ones are not big enough to mount. I think a first aid kit would be perfect there.

The idea was that this would not be the only extinguisher in the truck. I have four extinguishers that I have yet to figure out mounting I am happy with. Two small ones for the 3rd and 2nd row. The larger one for the driver area. All of these Halon. I also have the racing foam system that has yet to see the light of day and just get installed.

The idea was that this would not be the only extinguisher in the truck. I have four extinguishers that I have yet to figure out mounting I am happy with. Two small ones for the 3rd and 2nd row. The larger one for the driver area. All of these Halon. I also have the racing foam system that has yet to see the light of day and just get installed.

When it comes to vehicle electrical fires without cable cutters extinguishers are pretty much worthless.

* small extinguisher
* fixed blade knife
* small flashlight
* small first aid kit

Are you thinking a basket type thingy?

When it comes to vehicle electrical fires without cable cutters extinguishers are pretty much worthless.

Which is why I have everything on my aux battery going to one centrally located cut off switch and why I have a second manual cutoff switch for the main battery that just needs to find a home. But yes I agree, for electrical fires.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Are you thinking a basket type thingy?

You really want to use your netting idea don't you :flipoff2:

No. Actually I am picturing something very similar to your Puma mount. Just a mounted flat panel that everyone can drill/tap to their heart's content and add what they want and where they want it. Of course another option is a mount for a Klein drawstring pouch that let's you just dump these kinds of things in and they would be loose in the bag. But I'm not feeling that solution.

Fire extinguisher can be quick release or quick fist mounted. Everything else could be clips, quick fists, stretchy waistband material, netting or individual pouches.

Phil, since nearly everyone gets rid of their 3rd row seats and with them the seatbelts,

What about something, probably net, that mounts to rear seatbelt holes & rear oh****! holes, spanning the ceiling area?

What about something, probably net, that mounts to rear seatbelt holes & rear oh****! holes, spanning the ceiling area?

Honestly the best solution for this is the Attic which SOMEONE needs to productize dammit! I tried the net thing and hated it. I've seen them in Wranglers as well and the majority are actually kinda ok. They seem to use for jackets.

Honestly the best solution for this is the Attic which SOMEONE needs to productize dammit! I tried the net thing and hated it. I've seen them in Wranglers as well and the majority are actually kinda ok. They seem to use for jackets.

I have about 100' of the stuff for attic racks in stock but shipping it is f'd since everything needs to be boxed to ship anymore.

I've been contemplating this right side storage area for a while. I've got cutouts in foamboard that have taken me a long ways, but to bring something to fruition, that will require a lot of Q&A. Here are a few starter questions.

1. Hard as it may be, how many people would find it acceptable to remove all colored interior plastic from the 2nd row seat all the way to the back? Doing this would certainly open up the possibilities. I understand the desire to keep things stock. Of course if you remove the plastic on the right side, you'd want to match it on the left.
2. Would the purpose of this be to create openings into the cavity behind? If so, is it dead space behind, or would it need a shelf or two of some sort?
3. Would it be able to extend any further out than the existing plastic? Basically, if you extended it out another 1/2" or more, it gives more possibilities. It's a rather small space.
4. Speakers...
5. Is there really enough usable space behind the section that a cruiser head would find it worth the $$$ to utilize it?

1. I would happily remove them.
2. Some kind of support for items placed in the storage area would be good. It would be easy to lose small items into the body cavities below, not to mention dirt ingress.
3. 1/2" is no problem for me.
4. Don't care about speakers. The ones in the doors do everything I need them to.
5. Yes, it isn't even just the space for me. I really dislike the look and construction of the factory panels.

I have about 100' of the stuff for attic racks in stock but shipping it is f'd since everything needs to be boxed to ship anymore.

How bad could it be? Its costing me $50 to get a heavy trans plate from Cruisin OffRoad in Canada shipped to LA.

How bad could it be? Its costing me $50 to get a heavy trans plate from Cruisin OffRoad in Canada shipped to LA.

I will reevaluate it again what is your zip code;) I also have it available in chrome:grinpimp:

Who do you use for CDN shipping it $40+ for one Puma mount:(

Build a can that you will cut into the existing plastic panel :eek:
The lower shaded area is a solid front of the can with the upper green area is stretchy cargo net

Thoughts?

Done with my MAD paint skills:rolleyes: from a stolen drawning

View attachment 933995

I think a correctly cut panel that bolted on in the locations shown in white (approximately), would provide a strong panel. Then have 2, maybe 3 openings from which to access items that are tossed inside.

markup.JPG

* small extinguisher
* fixed blade knife
* small flashlight
* small first aid kit

Exactly, mounts with bolts, it's solid and in place. Has openings to access compartment. Then you can mount whatever you'd like on the outside.

Build a can that you will cut into the existing plastic panel :eek:
The lower shaded area is a solid front of the can with the upper green area is stretchy cargo net

Thoughts?

Done with my MAD paint skills:rolleyes: from a stolen drawning

Would this be inset deep into the rear quarter or sit farther out on the same plane as the existing plastic panel? Either way, I like the idea of the mesh or maybe even some molle attachment points. Lots of storage options use these and are heavy duty.

You really want to use your netting idea don't you :flipoff2:

No. Actually I am picturing something very similar to your Puma mount. Just a mounted flat panel that everyone can drill/tap to their heart's content and add what they want and where they want it. Of course another option is a mount for a Klein drawstring pouch that let's you just dump these kinds of things in and they would be loose in the bag. But I'm not feeling that solution.

Fire extinguisher can be quick release or quick fist mounted. Everything else could be clips, quick fists, stretchy waistband material, netting or individual pouches.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom