rear brakes over adjusting..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah it’s there. Just covered in brake dust.

5108A1D9-0327-4A3C-9727-23331EF2BBD8.jpeg

Watching your video it appears that the pin that your brake adjuster sits on is incredibly loose.
Do you have the horseshoe clip attached?
View attachment 2493408
I second his observation. Def doesn’t look like it. Hey those c-clips... can I get new ones at any auto parts place? I reused one side clips abd didn’t feel right about it. Might as well get in there since I’m still down and replace.

OK - Since you have a horseshoe clip in place, your issue lies someplace else. There is no reason for that pin to be moving. It could be that it is not properly set on the other side of the brake shoe backing plate. My guess is that they are aftermarket having had a bad fit previously with aftermarket. I put in OEM which had the pin already set (the aftermarket required that I pond in the pin.
Check that first AND put the washer behind the adjuster wheel and you should be good to go.

I second his observation. Def doesn’t look like it. Hey those c-clips... can I get new ones at any auto parts place? I reused one side clips abd didn’t feel right about it. Might as well get in there since I’m still down and replace.
Honestly you should be fine with reusing the clips. I know they would be available stand alone but as long as they hold tension you should be fine. They are holding very little pressure the way the mechanism operates.

It did fix my issue and Ive been testing it out for a couple months without reocurrance.
The correct placement is behind the circlip AND behind the brake adjuster lever.
My hypothesis is that my adjustment lever hole had been expanded over the years and allowed the lever to rotste/angle up higher on the adjustment star wheel. Its also my hypothesis that the lever would stay up high on the starwheel putting constant over adjust pressure on the brakes and over heating them.

Either way....place it directly behind the adjustment lever snd you should be good to go, It may work, as you noted to install it behind the circlip but I couldnt know for sure.

Thanks! And I’m glad to see that the thread revival is helping others. I installed a washer and replaced my bell cranks this week but it’ll be a few weeks until I’m able to say whether it has worked or not. I’ve put about 100 miles on it and so far so good. There was still a little bit of wobble room with the washer that I used but I’m sure the adjuster is in better shape than before.

You can get them at any auto shop AFAIK. I bought some this week from O’Reilly although I had to ask because they keep them in the back. I’m impressed that you were able to reuse them, I usually destroy them when removing them. Although... I’m impatient and I live three blocks from O’Reilly so I’m not exactly careful with such things.

Thanks! And I’m glad to see that the thread revival is helping others. I installed a washer and replaced my bell cranks this week but it’ll be a few weeks until I’m able to say whether it has worked or not. I’ve put about 100 miles on it and so far so good. There was still a little bit of wobble room with the washer that I used but I’m sure the adjuster is in better shape than before.
A little wobble is perfect.
It allows the adjuster arm to reach up the star wheel a little to maintain the self adjust feature when using the emergency brake but keeps the adjuster from reaching too high on the star wheel.
fingers crossed or you but confident it will solve your issue.

@EscapeWagon62 I went back out last night and I think you were right, i can wiggle that pin with my fingers. New toyota shoes are on the way. I'm glad to hear about the c-clips as well, @NeverGiveUpYota mine came in the generic drum brake rebuild kit from autozone, but I have a feeling i'm going to destroy the new ones when I take these off.

I had this happen (brakes over adjusting) on my 4runner (86 rear axle) and I fixed my issue with a 1/4 stainless steel flat washer as in the pictures

View attachment 1323873

View attachment 1323874

View attachment 1323875

I just replaced my brake shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders. After a few short trips and several more cranks on the hand brake, the adjuster over adjusted to the point that the brakes were smoking and grabbing/vibrating going down the road. The adjustor got really tight with the pressure of the shoes pinned against the drum. I thought I would never get it loose. It wouldn't move either direction. I eventually got it loose prying very hard with a flathead screwdriver while releasing the adjuster lever with a small screwdriver. I put the washer behind the adjuster lever and seems to shim it out a bit. Hopefully this works. Obviously the pin on the aftermarket shoe has too much space on it behind the groove where the E clip sits.

Last edited:
I put a shim on even with OEM.
My assumption is that the aftermarket pin is only part of the issue. I think that hole on the star wheel lever gets widened out over time allowing it to over rotate.
I could be wrong butIve had zero issues since installing the washer and using OEM pads.

I put a shim on even with OEM.
My assumption is that the aftermarket pin is only part of the issue. I think that hole on the star wheel lever gets widened out over time allowing it to over rotate.
I could be wrong butIve had zero issues since installing the washer and using OEM pads.
So is the answer to replace the adjuster?

No, the adjuster is good. The lever is working too much. Pull the E-clip off the lever that touches the adjuster dial. remove it and put a washer behind it on the pin. shimming it out a little means it will grab less. Check out the pics on page 3 of this thread, post #44.

So is the answer to replace the adjuster?
Just as a point of reference, I replaced the shoes with Toyota shoes, put new hardware back on without the shim and so far I have not had a problem with it over adjusting. I don’t drive it a ton, so I will report back if it does over adjust. It seems like the loose pin on the aftermarket shoes was my problem.

the pins on my aftermarket Japanese shoes from Cruiser Outfitters were NOT loose but I do think maybe there is a difference in the pin shoulders. If anyone replaces their aftermarket shoes with Toyota it would be nice to see a close up image of the two pins. Measure of the distance from the shoulder the lever rests on to the clip slot would be good too. Also as mentioned here it could be the levers are worn and flopping around more.

the pins on my aftermarket Japanese shoes from Cruiser Outfitters were NOT loose but I do think maybe there is a difference in the pin shoulders. If anyone replaces their aftermarket shoes with Toyota it would be nice to see a close up image of the two pins. Measure of the distance from the shoulder the lever rests on to the clip slot would be good too. Also as mentioned here it could be the levers are worn and flopping around more.

I’m using advics from CO. The pins weren’t loose but I found that they did need to have the washer shim added to prevent over-adjusting.

Can the levers you mentioned be easily replaced?

And the shoes that I used were Beck/Arnley, so not OEM. In the past I have had great luck with B/A parts. It looks like the OEM shoes are part # : 04495-60070. Can anyone confirm that is the correct number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom