Radius Arm Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My delta arms came in about a week ago. Been busy for the Holidays and looking to install after new year’s. Currently have an icon 3” lift. I would like to get some advise. Thank you

DVS includes instructions. Are you missing those?

What helped me was to install the the front of one arm and leave the rear unbolted. Use this arm as a lever to pull/rotate the axle to help install the opposite side.

What helped me was to install the the front of one arm and leave the rear unbolted. Use this arm as a lever to pull/rotate the axle to help install the opposite side.
That's how I did it.

If this guy can do it, so can you.

Take his advice.

Tighten bolts on level ground

Only loosen either the bolt or nut... I forget which. Check torque after 200 and 500 miles then hit it with a paint

Chock tires well so the tires don't move after pulling the arms. Makes install easier.

Do one side at a time.

A big ratchet strap can be very helpful.

Thank you guys! I have not opened the package, just wanted to hear from people who have done it and and tips or troubles they encountered. I always the “ratchet straps” but don’t know exactly where to.

Just start in the morning, so you have time to wrestle with getting things back together :) Had one of my sons help and that made it easier and more 'fun'...

A brass drift and hammer can help convince things to go together.

Makes sure you have the appropriate spanners and sockets for the job - your 10mm/12mm and 14mm stuff that is takes care of 90% of the vehicle won't cut it for this job :hillbilly:

And because we all like pictures. After installation:

arms.jpg

cheers,
george.

I jack up the front of the truck and place 12T stands under the frame just behind the mounts for the arms.

I then remove both tires and lower the axle onto two shorter stands between the axle brackets for the arms and the swivel ball. This lowers the spring tension and should something get away there will hopefully be less damage.

I then swap out both arms one at at time and mount them at the rear and the front of the arms.

I then jack on the PS steering arm to rotate the axle and align the bolt at the back of the axle on the PS.

I then jack the axle off the DS stand and either raise or lower the axle to align the bolt hole at the rear of the axle.

Now put the DS tire on, then the PS tire, jack and remove the 12T stands and lower the truck back on it's tires.

Bounce the front end vigerously and the tighten everything up.

Loosen the bolts first. The nuts are Serrated

Loosen the bolts first. The nuts are Serrated
This is not true for both the axle side and frame side bolts. One is the opposite

Seems like Delta's instructions are pretty clear and thorough...but a lot of good tips above...

That said, definitely face protection...lots of grit will be falling out. I can speak from firsthand experience that it's no fun having someone pluck stuff out of your eye and need to use a Dremel on your eyeball to smooth it out (and yes, i had face protection, but rubbed a metal shaving in my eye from my sleeve while working on a hot day wiping the sweat off of my face).

Also, just be smart on strap placement if needed...I haven't done this project yet, so I can't say what is best. Again, I can say to be careful while muscling around heavy axle parts...I also have a fake disk in my neck from jerking around an axle on my son's 250 super duty to install a leaf pack on his 7.3 diesel.

Reading from Delta’s instructions online, it seems like they did both arms at the same time? Would it be easier doing so? Like moving the axle and what not?

Reading from Delta’s instructions online, it seems like they did both arms at the same time? Would it be easier doing so? Like moving the axle and what not?
I’d recommend following what the forum has posted on your thread. Do one side at a time otherwise you’ll be fighting your axle the entire time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom