Events/Trails Quick Mojave Road Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hence my pre-emptive conversation with @Markuson, hard to expect a river in that part of the country. Glad a good safe (if chilly) trip resulted.

Ya, at 4 feet, you’re up to intake area. No snorkels in the group. Pretty iffy to say the least.

Great drive, did this before I moved out of CA last year. Not sure the height of the water when we crossed, but I do know it was spilling half way up the hood in my Nissan Frontier with 3 inch lift. Just gunned it and got thru it as quick as we could. No issues, got lucky.

I avoid the water crossing now because the stale water stinks. Once it’s stirred up the nasty water transport mud to every nook and cranny. I would only do the crossing if it’s necessary...if not the bypass is highly recommended.

I avoid the water crossing now because the stale water stinks. Once it’s stirred up the nasty water transport mud to every nook and cranny. I would only do the crossing if it’s necessary...if not the bypass is highly recommended.

So that water is stagnant...?
Hmmm. Didn’t realize. Stagnant can get truly nasty, although it looked pretty decent in @RET2 and @Mogwai ‘s video.

Would maybe warrant spraying the engine bay using the shower after passing through on the trail...before it dries to hard and nasty. Would not be fun trying to clear that from engine bay nooks and crannies...no matter how nice they look on Thomas’ English Muffin commercials of 30 years ago... ;)

I had my 4Runner the first time I crossed the water crossing section and it was ok then. It rained on the way home and rinsed off a lot of the nastiness on the road. My budy ran it a few month later and when he stopped by, the truck smelled. The consensus within the group is to avoid it since we done it before.

Last edited:
Looks like could pull an Airstream Basecamp X through? Nice pics, looks like a cool trail to put on my list.

Looks like could pull an Airstream Basecamp X through? Nice pics, looks like a cool trail to put on my list.

There’s one extensive section of nasty moguls that would be really tough with anything but a super strong, high clearance trailer. It woul would raise and lower your hitch pretty wildly for quite a stretch. Section seems to go on forever in one portion and had all of us glad when it finally eased. Moguls were the kind that were spaced such that you could not establish a rhythm...and just wear you out as a passenger, driver or dog. not knocking the trail. It was a hoot and very scenic. But I wouldn’t want a trailer on that particular section.

The drone footage just happens to show the flats, but I think mainly because the earlier section would have been slow and tedious to shoot drone footage from. When you’re going through them, you literally can’t handle a camera...and are focused on getting past them. :)

Edit: You could maybe poke onto the trail at the flats near ZYzyx road off the 15 and westward, but the section east of that approaching one of the railroad tracks is where it would be rough.

@LALC maybe Matt ( @ethernectar ) will chime in as to how easily the mogul stretch can be bypassed. There were a couple of route options in there somewhere...

Last edited:
@LALC @Markuson

Not sure if there is a bypass for that section without running way out to the interstate. My first trip through the road I did pull a M-416 based trailer (the LRRB) through all of it. The Little Red Rust Bucket was a small and lightweight trailer and I'm positive I saw daylight under the tires at least once in that section, lol. No damage to its contents although I did break a poorly welded spring mount off the axle along the way.

How was that hilly section after Fort Piute? It was washed out when I did it last year and the Park Service recommended taking a detour to avoid it. But we took it anyway and it was a lot of fun.

piute.JPG

Do you guys have the GPX files or a good resource to pull that information from? I'll probably do this come spring.

Here's the track and waypoints we used for guidance: GaiaGPS - Mojave Road

And here's our actual track: GaiaGPS - 200s on Mojave Road

Regarding the moguls around Fort Piute, I recall some sections where the line mattered but nothing too extreme. Brad (TRD Burglar) and I both have top-heavy trucks and there wasn't really anything that registered more than 1/10 on the sketch-o-meter.

@indycole awesome thanks! This definitely looks like something I could do in two days and one tank of gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom