Road Trips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We did a similar trip with 5 and 6 yr olds (GA-> CO and UT) 2 years ago. Depending on where you’re leaving from in GA and what route you’re taking it can be done in 2 hella long days. Your camping setup will be crucial for moving quick, we tow so we can park and be asleep or cook within minutes so if you’re pulling out a tent idk.

You can spend that entire time in the southwest corner of CO around Ouray and want to go back later to see more… in fact, we’re going back through there around the same time this year making CO the dessert portion of a UT main course camping extravaganza.

I’m not sure what you’re using for trip planning and how comfortable yall are with wild camping and what not but I can’t recommend enough the iOverlander app for camp sites, and laundromat planning and TrailsOffroad app for 4x4 trails.

We did most of Rimrocker on that first trip and it was cool but it will take you out of the Rockies and into the desert and Moab. You’ll get to Moab and wish you had more time because the trails there are plentiful, but no more plentiful than what you’ll find in Colorado. Honestly, you’re going to be in the crème de la crème for Land Cruiser stuff once you get into the Rockies and it doesn’t stop until you cross the Sierras or run out of gas.

I could go on about this, especially since I’m currently pouring over maps and apps nightly planning our big summer trip, so feel free to hit me up on a PM if you want any detailed questions answered.
Good info.
Yeah this will be the longest road trip my family has been on so the seat time is intimidating.

We will be sleeping in a RTT and the back of the rig will be setup with power / cooking. So no problem with remote camping.

I have been using Gaia for years but here lately I have had several folks tell me there are better options, especially for locating camping spots.

This whole idea started out with "lets take 2 weeks of PTO and explore Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, etc.
After some research we realized we simply don't have enough time to do a fraction of that so we settled on Colorado..... but it sounds like we may not have enough time to fully explore Colorado in 6-8 days lol. The travel days getting out there and back are killing us but I guess is part of the experience..

How do you feel about crowds? We had some extra time while in WY at the end of last June, snow had us skip the Bighorns early in our trip, so we went to the Tetons… we had trouble finding parking. I was not prepared for how many people were there and from what we gathered it was worse in Yellowstone.

I’m not trying to sway you either way. It’s just something to be prepared for, especially if you want to camp at a designated campground you will likely have difficulty finding one. Wild camping, on the other hand should be available so have a few spots picked out that you can choose between once you get out there. We found some good spots outside the Tetons and stayed one night then went back to the more rural lesser know areas of WY.
I know it will definitely be crazy--especially with the holiday; I just don't know if it will ever cool down as things only seem to be getting busier and busier. I think so long as I can find a way to make reservations for items in advance and we are guaranteed certain activities then we will just have to deal with it. I've been researching some items and finding backdoors to things. Such as certain vehicle permits are already sold out, but if you do a boat tour you get a vehicle reservation for that day with the tour. I'm leaning toward Glacier 6/29-7/2, Yellowstone 7/2-7/4, Grand Teton/Jackson Hole 7/4-7/7

I know it will definitely be crazy--especially with the holiday; I just don't know if it will ever cool down as things only seem to be getting busier and busier. I think so long as I can find a way to make reservations for items in advance and we are guaranteed certain activities then we will just have to deal with it. I've been researching some items and finding backdoors to things. Such as certain vehicle permits are already sold out, but if you do a boat tour you get a vehicle reservation for that day with the tour. I'm leaning toward Glacier 6/29-7/2, Yellowstone 7/2-7/4, Grand Teton/Jackson Hole 7/4-7/7
Sounds like a solid trip, looking forward to some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom