Road Trips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s (one of those) times of the year and a lot of us are getting ready to do some road tripping. Thought I’d start a thread for sharing road trips and resources, things to see along the way, etc.

Doing the annual drive from CO to TX for family Christmas, stopping at Palo Duro Canyon for an overnight. Been on the must-see list for a while and never thought to ease off the gas during the holidays.
IMG_8844.png

Pack food for picnic lunches and snacks instead of eating fast food and buying crap at gas stations. A picnic at a park or rest area breaks up the trip better for us than a stop to do even more sitting in a restaurant.
BAC1A063-70DE-454D-94D4-CB78FEDEA6AD.jpeg

Pack food for picnic lunches and snacks instead of eating fast food and buying crap at gas stations. A picnic at a park or rest area breaks up the trip better for us than a stop to do even more sitting in a restaurant. View attachment 3512221
Great advice. As an avid home cook, we’re looking at a pretty decent spread! Day 1- Homemade breakfast sandwiches, a caprese salad for lunch, a brisket Waldorf salad for dinner. Day 2- lets be honest, probably another breakfast sandwich for breakfast, veggie burgers for lunches, and whatever moms been making for dinner.

But I WILL be stopping at bucees for chocolate covered pretzels, and you can’t take that from me. lol

Pack food for picnic lunches and snacks instead of eating fast food and buying crap at gas stations. A picnic at a park or rest area breaks up the trip better for us than a stop to do even more sitting in a restaurant. View attachment 3512221
Oh, ignorant question, sorry, but does your roof box add much wind noise?

Oh, ignorant question, sorry, but does your roof box add much wind noise?
When mounted low to the factory height 80/20 cross bars I use, not usually. Sometimes if there's anything else on the rack (like a kayak) I'll get some whistle around/between stuff but not generally with the just the box and awning as pictured.

Great advice. As an avid home cook, we’re looking at a pretty decent spread! Day 1- Homemade breakfast sandwiches, a caprese salad for lunch, a brisket Waldorf salad for dinner. Day 2- lets be honest, probably another breakfast sandwich for breakfast, veggie burgers for lunches, and whatever moms been making for dinner.

But I WILL be stopping at bucees for chocolate covered pretzels, and you can’t take that from me. lol
Nice Spread. We range from inspired (BLTAs on fresh bread, roadside taco bar) to PBJ depending on what is in the cooler. Bucees definitely gets a pass when we need something not from the cooler. We actually took my kids to McDs this past summer in Kansas and they barely would eat it :rofl:

lol I try not to be too cult-ish about Bucees, but it really does just hit the spot sometimes. And a bathroom stop without touching a single surface is pretty nice these days.

When mounted low
Awesome, thanks for the intel. Looking at a Thule Alpine and don't want to drive myself or the wife crazy, but we already have a Prinsu rack and tires so I'd say the worst of the damage is already done there haha

nice bike btw.. have the same Renthal bar on my XC bike. Can't be beat

Doing the annual drive from CO to TX for family Christmas, stopping at Palo Duro Canyon for an overnight. Been on the must-see list for a while and never thought to ease off the gas during the holidays. View attachment 3512209

I did Beaumont to Boulder via San Antonio and Lubbuck in one fell swoop once. This was before online maps/route planning was any good, so I didn't take the shorter way via Dallas. Oops. 20 hour drive solo no breaks. Young and dumb :hillbilly:

I did Beaumont to Boulder via San Antonio and Lubbuck in one fell swoop once. This was before online maps/route planning was any good, so I didn't take the shorter way via Dallas. Oops. 20 hour drive solo no breaks. Young and dumb :hillbilly:
Thats a pretty good candidate for whatever our version of the Iron Ass is lol.

CO to TX (and the reverse): Good stopover at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Wild scenery, tons of camping. Got pretty chilly last night and my rain fly will take a bit to dry out, but RV spots and heated blankets on extension cords were the move. Cell service is nada in the canyon (not shocking)… gets me thinking about a Starlink though.
IMG_8916.jpeg
IMG_8876.jpeg
IMG_8910.jpeg

@GOLIGHTLY, we are nearly mirroring you. San Antonio to Fr. Collins before bumping up to Bozeman for a few days. We will hit Palo Duro on the way home, it’s a good stopping point for breaking up the Texas portion of that drive.

i have done a lot of solo dallas to los angeles, no breaks, fuel only.

Here's our route, beginning January 9 for an undetermined length of time. Long days behind the wheel are long past for me. We plan to wander along at a leisurely pace with frequent breaks, stopping two nights on the way south.

trip.jpg

Fortunately, we'll be bringing a restaurant and motel with us. ;)
411209766_1501665317044738_6709852432977106517_n.jpg

@GOLIGHTLY, we are nearly mirroring you. San Antonio to Fr. Collins before bumping up to Bozeman for a few days. We will hit Palo Duro on the way home, it’s a good stopping point for breaking up the Texas portion of that drive.
That’s awesome! We’re gonna be back through there on the night of the 1st (work deadlines making for a tight turnaround). On the off chance you’re there, I’ll be the one with black CO plates. Mesquite campground is nice and quiet, not the flattest tent sites, but secluded and mostly RVs in the cold means no hooting and hollering into late hours.

i have done a lot of solo dallas to los angeles, no breaks, fuel only.
If I’m in the diesel and solo, I love a good marathon. Fuel tanks with a switch, chipped Cummins, got about 900mi between fuel stops… nowadays with a dog and fiance, potty breaks are slightly (read: much) more frequent lol

Here's our route, beginning January 9 for an undetermined length of time. Long days behind the wheel are long past for me. We plan to wander along at a leisurely pace with frequent breaks, stopping two nights on the way south.

View attachment 3515216

Fortunately, we'll be bringing a restaurant and motel with us. ;)
View attachment 3515215
I dream of the day I can say “undetermined amount of time”. Love it man, safe travels and keep us posted on spots in the Carolinas. Would love to see those parts of the country some day.

If I’m in the diesel and solo, I love a good marathon. Fuel tanks with a switch, chipped Cummins, got about 900mi between fuel stops… nowadays with a dog and fiance, potty breaks are slightly (read: much) more frequent lol
i love a marathon too

i have done SF to Seattle for dinner about 6-7 times over the years

No stopping except petrol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom