200 series best highway tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

My 2011 LX was reclaimed by my wife to be a minivan for our one small child. It currently has 18’ LC stock wheels and is now driven just about exclusively around town and on highway. It gets driven through snow and occasionally deep snow 5-10x year, other than that just about all paved dry roads. It basically does not get driven off road (not more than a rural dirt road on occasion). What tires should i buy, and should i run the 18’s I currently have on it or my stock 20’s? Want something quiet that will get me through a few snowstorms.

PS this is not a s***post.

Michelin Defender LTX all the way, and I’d go back to the 20s since the suspension is tuned for them.

Michelin Defender LTX all the way, and I’d go back to the 20s since the suspension is tuned for them.
Agree on Defender LTXs.

Curious why you suggest moving back to 20s? Others LX owners have moved to 18s and noted improved ride quality.

I currently have 285/50r20 LTX's installed on my stock LX wheels, but plan to move to 275/65r18 eventually. My LX rides fine enough with new fluid and globes, but I want more sidewall for that extra cushion. Even have takeoff 18" LC rims waiting in my shed.

Agree on Defender LTXs.

Curious why you suggest moving back to 20s? Others LX owners have moved to 18s and noted improved ride quality.

I currently have 285/50r20 LTX's installed on my stock LX wheels, but plan to move to 275/65r18 eventually. My LX rides fine enough with new fluid and globes, but I want more sidewall for that extra cushion. Even have takeoff 18" LC rims waiting in my shed.
love my 275/65/18

x6

TBH I could go either way, and yes a taller sidewall will give more compliance, but the trade off is more sidewall flex on cornering which for something so dedicated to pavement use would be a negative.

My friend’s LX on 285/55R20s handles great..

TBH I could go either way, and yes a taller sidewall will give more compliance, but the trade off is more sidewall flex on cornering which for something so dedicated to pavement use would be a negative.

My friend’s LX on 285/55R20s handles great..
Fair point about pavement.

I'll add my $0.02 whenever I finally make the jump to 18s. Unfortunately I've only driven ~15k miles on the current LTXs and, with religious 5 tire rotations, they're gonna last a while :dead:

Another vote for the Defender LTX here.

You probably won't be using them for anything that requires it, but worth mentioning they do come in a tougher LT variety. Just something to think about if you're willing to trade a little ride comfort for a more durable tire...and depends on how bad the rural roads are that you mentioned.

Michelin Defender LTX M/S without hesitation. Quiet ride, great traction year around, durable.
SL is more conducive to regular passenger use. Lower weight = lower unsprung weight = better handling, MPG, etc.
LT for heavy duty situations, e.g., towing/hauling a lot. Heavier weight = more unsprung mass, slower acceleration, etc.

If purchased before Dec 5, 2023, you can get a $70 rebate.
Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 8.11.10 PM.png

Changed this year from passenger tires to Defenders LTX. Very happy with them surprisingly quiet, better handling, and more comfortable tire . The thread is also much more suited to snow /ice driving than the old tires. Did not yet drove them in snow.
I'm running stock siz.

If you go the Michelin, make sure you get the M/S2 and not just the M/S. The M/S is being phased out. Don't be surprised if you can't find them in stock. Mine have been on order since Oct 13th.

One more for the sole candidate of Michelin Defender. Zero issues and wear like iron. These fit what you're looking for.

You asked for an opinion, but you won't get one here for this topic. The FACT is that the Michelin Defenders are the best for this role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom