Road Trips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We actually took my kids to McDs this past summer in Kansas and they barely would eat it :rofl:
I’m not the type to brag but my kids (6&7) have never been to anything considered traditional fat food except for Chic-fil-A or a mom and pop owned type place. My mom brought over Wendy’s for herself once and the ridicule from my kids was enough that now she lets me cook for her.

I’m not the type to brag but my kids (6&7) have never been to anything considered traditional fat food except for Chic-fil-A or a mom and pop owned type place. My mom brought over Wendy’s for herself once and the ridicule from my kids was enough that now she lets me cook for her.
“Alright kids, go ahead and roast grandma!” Haha man that’s the way. I never ate at fast food joints until 5 Guys in college, but I grew up overseas so I don’t have the same leverage here.

100% agree with bringing ample healthy snacks and plenty of water or stuff to drink. Those gas station stops can get out of control if you have to go inside for snacks, drinks, and peeing, especially with kids.

We’ve been doing road trips with our kids since they were in diapers so bathroom stops were always as needed and only required a trash can. Now that they are out of diapers we carry a wrappon toilet which only requires a trash can. We’ll park at the edge of a parking lot if there’s cover or find an out of the way spot. It helps that my wife is adventurous, being outnumbered 3:1 boys to girls she’s playing the hand she’s dealt. Also helps that we usually have our road house in tow.

Plus, the views are often hard to beat.
IMG_2091.jpeg

100% agree with bringing ample healthy snacks and plenty of water or stuff to drink. Those gas station stops can get out of control if you have to go inside for snacks, drinks, and peeing, especially with kids.

We’ve been doing road trips with our kids since they were in diapers so bathroom stops were always as needed and only required a trash can. Now that they are out of diapers we carry a wrappon toilet which only requires a trash can. We’ll park at the edge of a parking lot if there’s cover or find an out of the way spot. It helps that my wife is adventurous, being outnumbered 3:1 boys to girls she’s playing the hand she’s dealt. Also helps that we usually have our road house in tow.

Plus, the views are often hard to beat.
View attachment 3515388
Great point. And those “facilities” are great for sussing out relationships. My fiance and I did some camping early in the relationship and found out very quickly she’s cool rolling with the punches of outdoor adventure haha.

Is that photo in Arizona? Pardon my ignorance lol. Love me a good desert

Great point. And those “facilities” are great for sussing out relationships. My fiance and I did some camping early in the relationship and found out very quickly she’s cool rolling with the punches of outdoor adventure haha.

Is that photo in Arizona? Pardon my ignorance lol. Love me a good desert
That was Valley of the gods in SW Utah.

That’s awesome! We’re gonna be back through there on the night of the 1st (work deadlines making for a tight turnaround). On the off chance you’re there, I’ll be the one with black CO plates. Mesquite campground is nice and quiet, not the flattest tent sites, but secluded and mostly RVs in the cold means no hooting and hollering into late hours.
Work is likewise getting in the way of our fun. We will be there in the night of the 31st so we will just miss you.

It’s (one of those) times of the year and a lot of us are getting ready to do some road tripping. Thought I’d start a thread for sharing road trips and resources, things to see along the way, etc.
Planning a big one this year— Santa Fe to glacier np to Portland Maine to Tuktoyaktuk Canada (the Arctic Ocean) to Haines, Alaska, then take the ferry to Seattle, then back to Santa Fe. Approximately 15,000 miles in total

Planning a big one this year— Santa Fe to glacier np to Portland Maine to Tuktoyaktuk Canada (the Arctic Ocean) to Haines, Alaska, then take the ferry to Seattle, then back to Santa Fe. Approximately 15,000 miles in total
Awesome! You gotta keep us posted on that gauntlet. You’re going to see so much beautiful stuff. I thought MY trip required a lot of prep lol

Work is likewise getting in the way of our fun. We will be there in the night of the 31st so we will just miss you.
Dang. I’d say leave a 6 pack in a bush, but we may actually need to just grind out a long day and get the dog back home ASAP. She’s a little out of sorts and not sure the risk of camping out of cell service is the best, given the circumstances.

But have a great time and enjoy ringing in the new year in some amazing surroundings.

Saw a whole lot of 200’s headed south on I45 and 287 today. Hoping I saw some of yall (I was headed N)

Any suggestions on powered coolers for the back? Both for road trips and around town. Ideally one with both a freezer and a fridge section. I've seen the iceco, ARB, and Engels. All are very nice, but probably overkill for what I'm looking to do with it.

If the thing dies, I'm not stuck somewhere unable to cook a meal while 5 days out from society. It would mean the kids have to suffer through luke warm bottles of water or might lose some groceries.

We did 8,000 miles total in my old LX in summer ‘22. Me, wifey, a 9 y/o, 7 y/o, and a 6 month old.

First route was TX to NC. Through Alabama there and TN on the way back. Maybe 2,800mi total.

Second route was TX to Washington State. Major stops: Moab, SLC, Boise, Seattle, Hoh Rainforest/Mt. Olympic area, Astoria, and then dead head back through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, CO, NM (saw bears in Raton, NM from the highway), then home. 5,200+ miles.

The most useful roadtrip thing we have is a platform for organizing soft and hard goods. Built it for my 100 series and modified for the LX.

E63A0B53-B7D0-4ECA-9FC3-B4AC958F631C.jpeg

17E817A5-949C-4315-848D-920CD2131327.jpeg

We primarily use this for camping, but it also helps hide XMas gifts from curious kids for interstate travel. When camping, we can fit two coolers and food bins/bags underneath. Softer items go on top. The metal legs are threaded, so they unscrew fit easy flat storage when not in use. Pretty great for compartmentalizing everything for a family of 5.

Seems this thread started right after the family and I did a trip to Vermont the week of the 13th. 375ish miles to Smugglers Notch from NJ. With 3 little guys, entertainment is of the essence. Charged and charging tablets, coloring supplies, some matchbox cars to play with. Snacks up front, granola bars, apple slices, oranges, pb&j for more. Each trip just kinda reveals a little more.

Last edited:
We did 8,000 miles total in my old LX in summer ‘22. Me, wifey, a 9 y/o, 7 y/o, and a 6 month old.

First route was TX to NC. Through Alabama there and TN on the way back. Maybe 2,800mi total.

Second route was TX to Washington State. Major stops: Moab, SLC, Boise, Seattle, Hoh Rainforest/Mt. Olympic area, Astoria, and then dead head back through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, CO, NM (saw bears in Raton, NM from the highway), then home. 5,200+ miles.

The most useful roadtrip thing we have is a platform for organizing soft and hard goods. Built it for my 100 series and modified for the LX.

View attachment 3522836
View attachment 3522837

We primarily use this for camping, but it also helps hide XMas gifts from curious kids for interstate travel. When camping, we can fit two coolers and food bins/bags underneath. Softer items go on top. The metal legs are threaded, so they unscrew fit easy flat storage when not in use. Pretty great for compartmentalizing everything for a family of 5.
How often are you stopping with the 6 m/o for feeding, diapers, etc?

Also, my tire guy swears by these dynaplug kits. Dynaplug® Pro Xtreme - https://shop.dynaplug.com/products/dynaplug%C2%AE-pro-xtreme

For my vehicles without spares, I always keep one with a 12v inflator. Obviously, we have a spare, but running one always makes me a little nervous, especially if I have to swap it on at night and am risking another puncture stranding me.

Seems like a great product.. Is the knob on the top too large to fit into the tailgate storage area?

How often are you stopping with the 6 m/o for feeding, diapers, etc?
It's all a blur! He just turned 2 so it feels like a lifetime ago.

No two days were totally alike. We timed most departures after breakfast but before naptime, so he'd have some waking moments in the car before zonking out for nap #1. Average driving day was 300-400 miles, with a few outliers that were double. I think 850 miles in a day was our record (aka, last leg to get home). Maybe it was 900. Can't recall.

I was still working ~2-3 days per week and essentially taking long weekends. Our typical cadence was to drive big for 1-2 days and then spend a few days adventuring (or working) in one spot.

Nothing is sacred when you're juggling 3 kids on the trip of a lifetime, so we tried to leave room for jazz. Instead of planning every checkpoint, we focused on "anchor stops." For example, we'd give ourselves 2 days to drive 600 miles and just book a hotel from the road. This allowed us to make unplanned long stops at playgrounds, get lost at a tourist trap, or put the pedal to the metal it if everyone was surprisingly content looking out the window.

I'll post some pics or maybe do a write-up. Life hit us fast the moment we got home, so I'm still processing the trip that we finished 18 months ago.

I also would not attempt that same trip now with a toddler. Babies and big kids are much easier!

It's all a blur! He just turned 2 so it feels like a lifetime ago.

No two days were totally alike. We timed most departures after breakfast but before naptime, so he'd have some waking moments in the car before zonking out for nap #1. Average driving day was 300-400 miles, with a few outliers that were double. I think 850 miles in a day was our record (aka, last leg to get home). Maybe it was 900. Can't recall.

I was still working ~2-3 days per week and essentially taking long weekends. Our typical cadence was to drive big for 1-2 days and then spend a few days adventuring (or working) in one spot.

Nothing is sacred when you're juggling 3 kids on the trip of a lifetime, so we tried to leave room for jazz. Instead of planning every checkpoint, we focused on "anchor stops." For example, we'd give ourselves 2 days to drive 600 miles and just book a hotel from the road. This allowed us to make unplanned long stops at playgrounds, get lost at a tourist trap, or put the pedal to the metal it if everyone was surprisingly content looking out the window.

I'll post some pics or maybe do a write-up. Life hit us fast the moment we got home, so I'm still processing the trip that we finished 18 months ago.

I also would not attempt that same trip now with a toddler. Babies and big kids are much easier!
Good info, thanks! Just doing some preemptive trip planning here. This concludes my thread derailment, haha.

Good info, thanks! Just doing some preemptive trip planning here. This concludes my thread derailment, haha.
I’m not gonna count that as a derailment.. starting to get close to a time where children make sense myself haha. Love a good heads-up.

Seems this thread started right after the family and I did a trip to Vermont the week of the 13th. 375ish miles to Smugglers Notch from NJ. With 3 little guys, entertainment is of the essence. Charged and charging tablets, coloring supplies, some matchbox cars to play with. Snacks up front, granola bars, apple slices, oranges, pb&j for more. Each trip just kinda reveals a little more.
Another part of the country is love to see some day. Just finished the Amarillo back home to Fort Collins CO leg and definitely could have done with a PB&j or 7!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom