Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jade, you need to slow down. You're making the rest of us look bad
My wife told me to relax today, but I can’t. I’ll slow down when I’m dead. Lol.

Gave in, sold the old compressor the parts I had in it and just bought this on sale.
315C526C-3C8D-4361-A04F-175AE9DD3ABC.jpeg

I have some stock 80 coils that I want to use for a project. You guys have any ideas of what to make or how to use (other than for suspension)?

I've thought out using some pine slabs I have and making an outdoor bench or something, and using the coils for legs, but I think it would be too shaky.

I have some stock 80 coils that I want to use for a project. You guys have any ideas of what to make or how to use (other than for suspension)?

I've thought out using some pine slabs I have and making an outdoor bench or something, and using the coils for legs, but I think it would be too shaky.

I've always wanted to get an old spring like that to make a new post for my mailbox. That way when the damned snow plow hits it, it will just bounce out of the way, then bounce back.

Legs for metal yard animal, yard toy/ride for kiddos, spring shoes to bounce around??

Working on an addition to the chicken coop using some rough sawn wood
16F5A2F6-3732-476C-9002-96921DAD6CA6.jpeg
7000E43C-C6C7-4310-8422-758DF1FAF7D6.jpeg

High class chickens :).

Filled up the tower garden.
DAD89E02-5E13-444F-9C9D-F1257B4A5A32.jpeg
7D2CAB05-22F6-48FD-9A9D-95255A273CFA.jpeg
66880144-3D2D-404C-A6BE-6514E6298838.jpeg

New project: Refurbishment of my wife's dad's old Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw. He passed away probably 50 years ago, and I 'inherited' this a good 30 years or so back. I used it for a few things, but since I have a table saw, it didn't see much work. And when I got a power miter saw, It saw no work. I debated whether to part it out and get $100 from Emerson (part of the recall), but decided since it has some 'history' to keep it. And I hate parting with tools...

I decided against a full resto, as I wanted to keep it 'as is'. Old tools need some patina.

First a good cleaning and base refurb: I added a top (trimmed in red oad) and a re-enforced bottom shelf (the original was just open). Lubed up the casters, etc. Then I rewired with 14ga heavy duty cord (original was 16ga), plus a new (better and safer) switch. I can bump the saw off using my knee:

20200515_205154.jpg

Next on to constructing a new table. I'm making the table slightly wider and longer than the original Sears table:

20200517_194239.jpg

I'm building the table based on the Mr. Sawdust design with steel internal reinforcement (note the groves for the 1/4x3/4 steel bar stock):

20200520_094557.jpg

Gluing it up (found a use for my lead shot filled bags):

20200519_122215.jpg

Trimmed out in red oak (the top weighs 57 pounds!), and now deciding how to cut it for the fence:

20200520_181214.jpg

There is a piece of 1/4' MDF inserted into the top. This is replaceable as it will get cut up with use.

Once I get the mounting figured out, I'll tackle the dust collection issue. A radial arm saw is a major distributor of sawdust. Got to tame this beast.

Last edited:
New project: Refurbishment of my wife's dad's old Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw. He passed away probably 50 years ago, and I 'inherited' this a good 30 years or so back. I used it for a few things, but since I have a table saw, it didn't see much work. And when I got a power miter saw, It saw no work. I debated whether to part it out and get $100 from Emerson (part of the recall), but decided since it has some 'history' to keep it. And I hate parting with tools...

I decided against a full resto, as I wanted to keep it 'as is'. Old tools need some patina.

First a good cleaning and base refurb: I added a top (trimmed in red oad) and a re-enforced bottom shelf (the original was just open). Lubed up the casters, etc. Then I rewired with 14ga heavy duty cord (original was 16ga), plus a new (better and safer) switch. I can bump the saw off using my knee:

View attachment 2313648

Next on to constructing a new table. I'm making the table slightly wider and longer than the original Sears table:

View attachment 2313650

I'm building the table based on the Mr. Sawdust design with steel internal reinforcement (note the groves for the 1/4x3/4 steel bar stock):

View attachment 2313651

Gluing it up (found a use for my lead shot filled bags):

View attachment 2313652

Trimmed out in red oak (the top weighs 57 pounds!), and now deciding how to cut it for the fence:

View attachment 2313654

There is a piece of 1/4' MDF inserted into the top. This is replaceable as it will get cut up with use.

Once I get the mounting figured out, I'll tackle the dust collection issue. A radial arm saw is a major distributor of sawdust. Got to tame this beast.

My dad had one pretty near exactly like that one. He built a ton of nice furniture and other stuff with it. I didn't keep it after he died five years ago; maybe I should have.

Japanese spring steel is some of the best stock for making chisels and punches.

Looking for advice. I saw this and loved it. My brides b-day is coming up and I’d like to make this as yard art for her. How do you think I could about creating these curves? My thought was tack welding to a 3”+ piece of round tube, use a torch to heat and roll until you get the desired look. Any other ideas? TIA!
6C95FDFB-7EB6-411B-A261-82BA5701362E.jpeg

Looking for advice. I saw this and loved it. My brides b-day is coming up and I’d like to make this as yard art for her. How do you think I could about creating these curves? My thought was tack welding to a 3”+ piece of round tube, use a torch to heat and roll until you get the desired look. Any other ideas? TIA! View attachment 2314476
Use some large diameter PVC? Are you wanting the same size, or a smaller scaled version? PVC could work well for smaller scale.

Clamp and roll could work too for sheet metal, but I think you'd want a larger diameter pipe to use for the curve.

Use some large diameter PVC? Are you wanting the same size, or a smaller scaled version? PVC could work well for smaller scale.

Clamp and roll could work too for sheet metal, but I think you'd want a larger diameter pipe to use for the curve.
PVC won’t work for the thickness steel I’d like to use or I don’t think it would. I can’t imagine the steel would curve easily. I’m not planning to use sheet metal. I’d like to make it pretty close to that size.

After a couple days of measuring, figurin', re-measuring, re-figurin': I bit the bullet and cut the top. Got it drilled, and bolted down. Cut the replaceable insert and dropped it in:

20200522_151430.jpg

20200522_155110.jpg

Will probably be next week before I can put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it. Then go through the procedure of aligning everything. Following that, I'll tackle the dust collection part of the project.

Maple syrup evaporator - built a firebox/arch. I did not build the stainless pan on top.

Used this to start learning to weld.

I suck at sheet metal welding.

IMG_20190205_173406.jpg

IMG_20190205_173312.jpg

IMG_20190127_165909.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• tip
Back
Top Bottom