Project Wrong Way Idiot (me) Doing the FJ40 Rear Disc Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have thought you would have made an effort to repair locker (the gears you took out). You were much more graceful than I could have been.

Larry in El Paso

My rear montes lock up even with the prop valve turned all the way
On quick stops makes for some nasty noise in the rear end when only one wheel locks up early and the lunchbox locker doesn’t like it and bangs and pops. , I still have the 78 master not an 80 series one I always wondered if that made any different. But for cruising around town it works fine

Hows the sheltering in place going? Did some early celebration in this episode of Project Wrong Way. Thought I had this one in the bag, and I was dead wrong. Got the spider gears installed, what a pain in the ass. Also, Rachael handled some caulk. Enjoy, like share and subscribe.

Did you figure out how to attach the bottoms of the rear shocks now?

I’m guessing you need later spring plates like this...

272BD464-6615-4941-8F40-10653DE2BD64.jpeg

Last edited:
Made some progress, and some lasting back injuries.

This video made my head hurt. I still can't figure out why you didn't take the drums off the old axle, and take the rotors off the new one. You made that soooo much harder than it needed to be!

I too have a wife that is brutal like that. Mainly laughing at me when one of my “hold my beer” moments come to fruition. It also never fails to amaze me when I hear “you have a hole in your crotch” while in the middle of something like that. One of the best episodes yet, because it’s totally relatable to me!

Have you been to Australia @BenjaminCA ? I love it there. Went to the east coast when I was younger and loved everything about it! Went to New Zealand also on the same trip.

I too have a wife that is brutal like that. Mainly laughing at me when one of my “hold my beer” moments come to fruition. It also never fails to amaze me when I hear “you have a hole in your crotch” while in the middle of something like that. One of the best episodes yet, because it’s totally relatable to me!

Have you been to Australia @BenjaminCA ? I love it there. Went to the east coast when I was younger and loved everything about it! Went to New Zealand also on the same trip.

I have been, when I was younger I flew to Melbourne with two friends. Bought a Holden Jackaroo and drove all the way up the east coast near Cooktown. Took me around a month, turned 18 in Brisbane. Love it there.

This video made my head hurt. I still can't figure out why you didn't take the drums off the old axle, and take the rotors off the new one. You made that soooo much harder than it needed to be!

I had a quick go at the drums but couldn’t get the Phillips loose, lost patience and just hefted the bastard out. I really wasn’t thinking clearly.

Dan Wesson! Nice.

Went back and reviewed episode 1 after watching and this made me ponder. Where is your brother?
Do not get me wrong, I love your wife's comments and the fact that she will be able to tell the children in detail how you died, but where is he?

Holy s*** that last episode was funny! I cant believe you managed to man handle that thing in and out!!
I sort of understand your thinking, all up I've probably done leaf spring replacement 7 or 8 times over a few different landcruisers and it's a nightmare. I just did it on my 40 and I was absoloutly dreading it. It went way better than I thought. All that practise finally paid off!
Keep up the good work mate, you've actually made a s*** ton of progress. It wont be too long till its driveable.

Went back and reviewed episode 1 after watching and this made me ponder. Where is your brother?
Do not get me wrong, I love your wife's comments and the fact that she will be able to tell the children in detail how you died, but where is he?

My brother is a pro photographer, teaches photography at a state university and goes to law school. All at once! He has a full plate for sure. After helping me with the first couple episodes he started to get busy to the point where we were struggling to find time to shoot/build, edit and put out episodes. I snagged some basic gear (gimbal and a POS mic) and talked my wife into filming. He’s an incredible photographer and has my sense of humor but I wasn’t able to make episodes like I am now.

Holy s*** that last episode was funny! I cant believe you managed to man handle that thing in and out!!
I sort of understand your thinking, all up I've probably done leaf spring replacement 7 or 8 times over a few different landcruisers and it's a nightmare. I just did it on my 40 and I was absoloutly dreading it. It went way better than I thought. All that practise finally paid off!
Keep up the good work mate, you've actually made a s*** ton of progress. It wont be too long till its driveable.

Man, I hate leafs. I struggled with those bastards a few episodes back, over and over. And if there was a way I could slip an axle past the guards and underneath the leafs without having to unbolt them I was going to try it.

Mate I couldnt believe it. When you said you were just gonna lift it in I couldn't stop laughing.
I'm thinking 'you cant just bench press a ****in diff in.' Next minute, diff is ****in bench pressed in!!! Fastest diff swap ever.
I loved it, keep up the good work. Maybe let Toyota know you've come up with a new procedure that halves the time taken to swap a diff out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom