Builds Project Old Blue - 1973 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you can eliminate the bad things… head gasket, something cracked… Do you think it might be worth the investment to put an OEM carb back on? I feel like that’s usually the best option. I don’t know much about the other aftermarket options.

So shifting course in a new direction... I was able to pull the 40 outside and let it run for a bit. When I really rev it up, black smoke roars out of the exhaust. This engine has a Weber 38 (EMPI Spector Clone). So I'm leaning towards an over rich condition. Doing research on here, points me towards finding out what jets are installed and playing with the air-fuel ratio tuning. At the end of the day, almost wish it had a Cityracer or Trollhole carb, even a rebuilt OEM.
Take a hard look at the Holley Sniper set up it is easy to install and works great

Don’t know if I found something new or just late to the party. When I was working on the rear fender area, I pulled the grommets out that run the wires for the rear side lights and license plate light to the rear harness down below. I then notice the original grommets were the same as this accelerator grommet for pre-72 models. So I ordered a few from Toyotaparts to have on hand.

D9638D14-807A-41A3-A011-DA09CE1D271F.jpeg

Don’t know if I found something new or just late to the party. When I was working on the rear fender area, I pulled the grommets out that run the wires for the rear side lights and license plate light to the rear harness down below. I then notice the original grommets were the same as this accelerator grommet for pre-72 models. So I ordered a few from Toyotaparts to have on hand.

View attachment 2330813
Whats the latest with Old Blue?

Decided to do a weekend project and tear down the original carb for a rebuild. Thanks Cruiser Outfitters for the rebuild kit! Haven’t had time to do anything else lately. Currently soaking in Chem-dip overnight.

98CFED7C-308E-4277-9A45-1B140D7B554F.jpeg

Made some progress this weekend. Removed the Weber 38 and all its associated hardware. Installed the rebuilt factory carb. Missing one carb stud which is on order from Cruiser Outfitters along with a new accelerator cable. Installed an inline fuel filter and a new choke cable from @ToyotaMatt. Also got a 1/2 to 3/8 barb reducer to hook up pvc valve, since the stock hose is NLA.

Hoping to get it started again soon!

CF27C0C7-CAFC-449E-B5EF-FEC4ADFF5A39.jpeg

Installed the carb stud and accelerator cable from Cruiser Outfitters. Crossed my fingers and cranked it over. After fuel primed she fired up. 2nd start filmed, 1 pump of the pedal, no choke. Idling around 650-700. Will fine tune. So far, so good.

Guess I haven’t posted in awhile. Not much going on, other than picking up a nice floor mat from @Irish11. Little offset from the 4spd cutout, but very cool. Need to get back to working Old Blue, get the brakes sorted this winter, hopefully...

657A3E6C-75D2-433A-8C53-8EFE4F345783.jpeg

08DF72DC-45B1-485F-B308-12BD20A1AE13.jpeg

@Racer65 cowl drain hoses and OEM grommets installed the other day. Passenger side was 10x easier than the drivers side. Can’t imagine trying this with the heater installed! Plus adding some lubrication to hose helped with getting it through the dry grommet. 🤭

View attachment 2238394
C7AA3CD9-E631-413A-93A9-104C65A507AD.jpeg
Don’t tell me that about imagine having to do it with the heater in place. I also need to order a pair of those tubes as well. Cruiser looks great! Looks like the same color as my 74.

It’s been awhile since I had time or posted about Blue. Decided to bring it home from the temporary garage so I could work on it more often in my garage. Everything had been running good until I picked it up, rough idle and struggling until I got it on the trailer, then back to normal. Go figure, it’s back to running like crap. I’m thinking a plugged carb.

Anyhow here she is with good Gen Z Toyota (BMW) company. 😂

FD1437C9-2662-4F20-B031-683983B88EBE.jpeg

installed the lap belts that came with it, 75 tags. Then replaced the windshield bracket bolts with ones from overland metric.

DEB121B1-0B23-4AD2-B2B0-6692CCFA9226.jpeg

4BA00499-2F71-40C5-B5F9-61AAD10C21E8.jpeg

It’s been awhile since I had time or posted about Blue. Decided to bring it home from the temporary garage so I could work on it more often in my garage. Everything had been running good until I picked it up, rough idle and struggling until I got it on the trailer, then back to normal. Go figure, it’s back to running like crap. I’m thinking a plugged carb.

Anyhow here she is with good Gen Z Toyota (BMW) company. 😂

View attachment 2699458

installed the lap belts that came with it, 75 tags. Then replaced the windshield bracket bolts with ones from overland metric.

View attachment 2699460

View attachment 2699462
Is that a Supra next to the 40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom