Builds Project "Devil Frog" - Isaac's '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is an xJ40 rear FF, are the 80 FF parts compatiable as well?

Not that I will need them for a long time, DanS did a fantastic job rebuilding this axle.

Slight differences...use many of the same gaskets and seals of a 60 and 80. All obtainable in the US through the Shaman.

Last edited:
This is an xJ40 rear FF, are the 80 FF parts compatiable as well?

Not that I will need them for a long time, DanS did a fantastic job rebuilding this axle.

DanS does no other kind of jobs:D:clap::popcorn:

DanS does no other kind of jobs:D:clap::popcorn:

True story.

For future reference, all of the consumables (save 1) are as Onur described. The different one is the seal that goes inside the nut on the spindle. I wouldn't expect that one to wear out very fast at all, the axle shaft doesn't even spin inside it Heck, you can stock a front rebuilt kit and it'll have all the stuff you need to do the rear axle, and then some!

Now I need to find time to rebuild my replacement axle and the front to match it.... Come on vacation!!!!

Dan

And help me put the 60 axle on my 40 :)

Had the morning off, so I got the longer studs in the FF housing for the elocker and notch ground out.

image-3541477345.jpg

image-2048386682.jpg

s***!!! There is a crack in the locker actuator housing. Tried welding it, but quickly discovered it is cast iron, and not steel. This is beyond my welding skills, any recommendations for a pro welder?

image-1361678498.jpg

image-1850155932.jpg

s***!!! There is a crack in the locker actuator housing. Tried welding it, but quickly discovered it is cast iron, and not steel. This is beyond my welding skills, any recommendations for a pro welder?

TIG welding would work but if you want to do with a MIG, try this:
- drill a small hole at each end of the crack
- heat it up with a OxAcety
- weld normally with a MIG

Youtube should have hints on how to weld on a cast metal.

alia176 said:
TIG welding would work but if you want to do with a MIG, try this:
- drill a small hole at each end of the crack
- heat it up with a OxAcety
- weld normally with a MIG

Youtube should have hints on how to weld on a cast metal.

I just have a flux core wire feed, and no O/Acy torch, Ill use the pro

pappy said:

Took it to Bud, turns out that the when he cleaned up the housing it is cast aluminum not iron, and he was not comfortable repairing it. This surprised me cause it was so heavy. Arrrggg! Without that actuator the elocker diff is a boat anchor.

Can any tell me why Toyota, the most conservative designing, automaker would make a bit that dangled under an off roader out of weak cast aluminum. For crying out loud it is s Land cruiser not a lotus.

Will be looking for a new actuator or cable conversion.

Last edited:
I am too depressed to work on the axle right now, but there is plenty if engine work. Got to get the intake port matched now that the head is done.

image-3048606500.jpg

Took it to Bud, turns out that the when he cleaned it the housing is cast aluminum not iron, and he was not comfortable repairing it. This surprised me cause it was so heavy. Arrrggg! Without that actuator the elocker diff is a boat anchor.

Can any tell me why Toyota, the most conservative designing, automaker would make a bit that dangled under an off roader out of weak cast aluminum. For crying out loud it is s Land cruiser not a lotus.

Will be looking for a new actuator or cable conversion.

Slee makes iron to protect it.

Bud isn't able to TIG weld the ALUM piece? Wow, I wonder what his reasons were.

Years ago, I had an all alum engine block that had a crack and fixed with a High Freq AC TIG machine when we lived in Chicago. I don't have access to one of those now, bummer.

Last edited:
I am too depressed to work on the axle right now, but there is plenty if engine work. Got to get the intake port matched now that the head is done.

I'd like to come over and watch this process if you don't mind :D Let me know when I can come over and loiter.

alia176 said:
I'd like to come over and watch this process if you don't mind :D Let me know when I can come over and loiter.

I should have some time in 3 weekends. Gotta get some honey-dos done next weekend (omg I am turning into Marc) and have a wedding the following week end. Then I have a weekend for my stuff, that includes a clutch replacement on the MR2, any one have a tranny jack?

Port matching is fairly straight forward. Basically transfer the gasket pattern to the head ports and intake, and the use a die grinder to cut down the casting imperfections so everything flows seamless. Should be good for 5-10 HP, but in conjunction with a mild cam, and higher compression, I am aiming to get the 3FE to about 180 bhp.

Last edited:
alia176 said:
Bud isn't able to TIG weld the ALUM piece? Wow, I wonder what his reasons were.

Years ago, I had an all alum engine block that had a crack and fixed with a High Freq AC TIG machine when we lived in Chicago. I don't have access to one of those now, bummer.

Well he said he would try and get a new one if it were his. He was afraid that the threads on the plug that covers the worm gear shaft would not survive. He said if I could not find a replacement, and wanted to take a risk he could try, but at $55 an hour, and he could not even give me a balk park estimate.

image-2666110316.jpg

pappy said:
Slee makes iron to protect it.

If I ever get it fixed or replaced I will be buying protection.

Well he said he would try and get a new one if it were his. He was afraid that the threads on the plug that covers the worm gear shaft would not survive. He said if I could not find a replacement, and wanted to take a risk he could try, but at $55 an hour, and he could not even give me a balk park estimate.

Dude, you're already spending this much time and money. Do it right, call CDan and get a new actuator. It'll last ya another 20 years just like the one you are holding.

Just my $.0255555 and I have no bones in the game.

Dude, you're already spending this much time and money. Do it right, call CDan and get a new actuator. It'll last ya another 20 years just like the one you are holding.

Just my $.0255555 and I have no bones in the game.

Will do Onur. It is worth a shot, my fear is it is either discontinued or close to a grand, but does not hurt to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom