Builds Project "Devil Frog" - Isaac's '69 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started port matching the 3fe
image-638514658.jpg
image-2647469830.jpg
image-3463281929.jpg

pappy said:
I seem to recall the taper is different than mini-truck and FJ60+. If the taper is the same as FJ60/80, then you can get a drag-link from Marlin, with FZJ80 rod ends. He will cut the rod custom. I have some FZJ80 rod ends you can try in the taper if you want.

Did use use a 60 series steering box?

Yes, FJ60 steering box in my FJ40 to mini-truck hi-steer arms. But, I used an aftermarket pitman arm on the steering box. Mini-truck, FJ60/62, and FJ/FZJ80 all use rod ends with the same taper.
steering box 003.jpg
FJ80TREsmall.jpg

Gotcha the stock pitman arm would have interfered with the soa.

New goodies for the project

image-3761870659.jpg

image-771461461.jpg

image-169117754.jpg

Good grief those tires are huge! I bet one of those could support an entire 40!!

Good grief those tires are huge! I bet one of those could support an entire 40!!

Is that sarcasm? They are only 33/12.5R15s. That is pretty mild for a 40, at least one that is staying SUA

Front suspension, check.
Next job steering, Beno I will be calling about some rod ends.

added the before pic

image-4280287663.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

Last edited:
beno said:
I still have those allen plugs for ya....

:)

I picked em up 2 weeks ago. Thanks!

IMG_0959.jpg

Last edited:
Isaac, here's is what I'm going to do on my next iteration, coming up soon:
-LHD BJ70 drag link end (rebuildable) at the pitman arm:
IMG_0140.jpg

-BJ70 drag link rod (comes with drag link end).

-FJ60 drag link end at the passenger side TRE:
IMG_0133.jpg

-Stock FJ40 passenger side TRE, reamed out to accept FJ60 drag link end (Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters can do this):
Like this but reamed out and using the FJ60 drag link end instead of that other TRE that's being used:
IMG_0142.jpg

If you have FJ60 knuckles etc. then you could buy a whole FJ60 TRE kit and get a custom drag link rod made, that would be pretty slick.

Isaac, here's is what I'm going to do on my next iteration, coming up soon:
-LHD BJ70 drag link end (rebuildable) at the pitman arm:

-BJ70 drag link rod (comes with drag link end).

-FJ60 drag link end at the passenger side TRE:

-Stock FJ40 passenger side TRE, reamed out to accept FJ60 drag link end (Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters can do this):
Like this but reamed out and using the FJ60 drag link end instead of that other TRE that's being used:

If you have FJ60 knuckles etc. then you could buy a whole FJ60 TRE kit and get a custom drag link rod made, that would be pretty slick.

That should be pretty stout! are you having problems with your current setup???

I talked to 4Wheel Auto in Canada about the XJ7Y relay rod end, they typically only sell them in kits, but are looking to see if they have a loose one lying around.

FZJ80 Locker

I recently came across a good deal and made an impulse purchase on a complete locking 3rd member out of an 80, should I:

-put it in the front? I will have about 3" of lift with the Dakar Heavy leaf springs and 1.5" lift shackles, I really don't want to put it through my oil pan

-Convert/swap to Free float rear axle and use there?

-Resell it, and go ARB?

I assume in the FJ40. As you said, an upgrade to full float would be required for the rear. I would install in the front. You will need a new long side axle shaft with the longer splines, two longer studs, and a gasket to use as template to grind in the notch. Install is very straight forward. You will also need the harness, and I would recommend getting the rear harness used in the FZJ80. It will reach the dash, IIRC.

Harness? As in the harness that go from the locker to the ECU? How will he control the locker activation - some kind of a black box or the factory ECU? Has anyone come up with an elegant way to activate/deactivate these lockers w/o using the locker ECU?

I use a very simple DPDT switch. Can't be any easier. As I recall the harness went from the locker to the frame harness.

I would install in the front

That’s kinda what I am thinking, just a bit concerned with a SUA setup after Fast Eddy's fiasco- punching the actuator through the oil pan. I guess extending the bump stops could solve that problem. Also, I am kinda anal about symmetry and consistency, so having a lunchbox or ARB in the rear and elocker in the front would really bug me. I could already feel my mind trying to justify a FF rear axle just to have a rear elocker. I am really a sucker for scope creep :rolleyes:

I have a lunch box in the rear of mine. I would not do that again. An ARB is in my very distant future for the rear. Love the e in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom