Builds Project "Devil Frog" - Isaac's '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

had a locrite in the rear of mine and loved it. had one in the front and hated it. I say put lunchbox rear and use that baby up front. bump stops are great for limiting damage to pan. or whatever you can come up with. I think you'll like it in front. keep the cost low as possible.:D

Why not put a lunchbox up front and just a Elocker or an ARB in the rear? Since your basically a rear wheel drive until you lock the hubs, would the lunchbox mess with the handling all that much?

With the front hubs unlocked, I don't see how the steering or driveability is affected with a lunchbox!

It works like a spool under load. Mine, in the rear, chirps around corners if I give too much gas. In the front it would be like driving with your elocker on all the time. You are right, around town it would be fine with the hubs and tc unlocked.

A selectable in the front would be dandy.

It works like a spool under load. Mine, in the rear, chirps around corners if I give too much gas. In the front it would be like driving with your elocker on all the time. You are right, around town it would be fine with the hubs and tc unlocked.

A selectable in the front would be dandy.

Well, That just blew my theory out of the water:crybaby:

I had a lockrite installed in the rear for about 2 weeks. I could not stand the way it drove so I pulled it out and installed the Auburn limited slip in the rear, that I was keeping for the front. I figured that the lockrite would be alright in the front as long as I used the transfer case to go between 2L/4L with the hubs locked out on the trail.
This would, in my mind, allow me to have a semi selectable locker up front. All wheel drive or 2 wheel drive with the flick of the wrist:D

what's funny is, I hardly noticed mine in the rear. don't know if my driving style just worked with it or what. I have a Detroit in the rear now and with a 300hp LT1 I still hardly notice it. course, I'm not goosing it around corners.

having 2L should help in theory. I didn't have 2L, but 4H and 4L were a nightmare to turn in. it made my turning radius nearly 1.5 X's longer.

Well, That just blew my theory out of the water:crybaby:

I had a lockrite installed in the rear for about 2 weeks. I could not stand the way it drove so I pulled it out and installed the Auburn limited slip in the rear, that I was keeping for the front. I figured that the lockrite would be alright in the front as long as I used the transfer case to go between 2L/4L with the hubs locked out on the trail.
This would, in my mind, allow me to have a semi selectable locker up front. All wheel drive or 2 wheel drive with the flick of the wrist:D

I know folks who have Lincoln lockers up front w/o complains. However, some place like Moab where tight turning on that grippy sandstone is required some times and that's where they wished they had selectable lockers. Of course, they can step out and unlock one of the hubs if they had to have open diff for some tight maneuvering which can be a PITA depending on the situation.

I got the ps box mounted with something a little more sturdy than C clamps

image-1835621345.jpg

image-1590159366.jpg

The fed ex guy just brought me this

image-1566109915.jpg

pappy said:
I assume in the FJ40. As you said, an upgrade to full float would be required for the rear. I would install in the front. You will need a new long side axle shaft with the longer splines, two longer studs, and a gasket to use as template to grind in the notch. Install is very straight forward. You will also need the harness, and I would recommend getting the rear harness used in the FZJ80. It will reach the dash, IIRC.

Do you have a part # on long side axle shaft with longer splines?

pappy said:
I tried to acquire OEM, but even though Dan really tried Toyota was not willing to provide the part, even with a part number and the willingness to acquire more than one. So your only option is aftermarket, which is not a bad thing.

I bought mine at:
CV Remanufacturing

But I would highly recommend:
30 SPLINE LONG SPLINE INNER AXLE - Longfield Super Axles

What specs did you give when you ordered yours?

EDIT: Never mind, Longfield has this listed as an off the shelf part, I thorught it would be a custom order for sure. Well that makes life eaiser!

Last edited:
That should be pretty stout! are you having problems with your current setup???

I talked to 4Wheel Auto in Canada about the XJ7Y relay rod end, they typically only sell them in kits, but are looking to see if they have a loose one lying around.

It's the same components as an FJ60 uses, so I'd say it's stout enough without being overkill for 31" (or 33") tires. I think DanS and Pablocruise are using the same parts.

I don't particularly like the way it's currently pictured, but only because of this component:
IMG_0142.jpg

I picked up a rebuildable FJ60 end to replace this end that I currently have. I'm also going to call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and order a passenger side FJ40 TRE and have him ream it out to accept the FJ60 end. Then I'll be happy.

Still trying to get the pump (Saginaw) to do what I want. I buried my 31s on a snow run last week and wasn't able to turn the wheels back and forth without squealing. I think I still need to find a wider belt, but I think I'm discovering the weaknesses of the FJ60 system as compared to Saginaw/Scout etc.

I have decided to do a mini truck knuckle/hub/birf swap, since I am rebuilding the front axle. I will also keep the e-locker 3rd and install it in the front. For an axle rebuild kit I leaning on Marlin's. Any other recommendations?

image-1060218040.jpg

Make sure you get the Marlin inner axle seal. Should come with his kit.

Full Float Rear in scope

I could already feel my mind trying to justify a FF rear axle just to have a rear elocker. I am really a sucker for scope creep :rolleyes:

Well, I just went down this path. Worked out a round-robin deal with DanS and Josh, THANKS!.

I now have a really nice FF rear axle with disc brakes, that will receive the elocker. Now, I need to get another elocker for the front. Anyone want to part out thier locked FZJ80?

And my tires and rims clear the discs with no spacers!

image-3042978780.jpg

FYI: all of your consumables for the rear FF 60 axle/hub are the same as the 80 series FF from 1993-1997.

Same seals, gaskets, bearings.

Enjoy!

FYI: all of your consumables for the rear FF 60 axle/hub are the same as the 80 series FF from 1993-1997.

Same seals, gaskets, bearings.

Enjoy!

This is an xJ40 rear FF, are the 80 FF parts compatiable as well?

Not that I will need them for a long time, DanS did a fantastic job rebuilding this axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom