Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, these guys are my goto for parts these days. Not too far away that shipping takes forever and they usually have pretty good prices. Plus you can pick up large parts if you're up that way and avoid shipping costs. I attempted that with McGeorge down in Richmond and they balked. Basically said if they can't ship it you have to come in to get it and if you do you'll pay full MSRP. 👎

Basically said if they can't ship it you have to come in to get it and if you do you'll pay full MSRP. 👎
Zero sense being made here.

Going with the earlier OEM model. Tooooooo many people have issues with the discount online radiators. I'd like this one to last another 22 years without having to get lucky...wife's daily driver and all.

Now to pray that the '00 rad doesn't s*** the bed before I can get the '97 fixed!

BTW, I got the bluetooth adapter installed in the 2000. Pretty slick. It's an FM transmitter but it also interrupts the antenna signal to get rid of as much incoming radio signal as possible. We left it set on its default freq for the NOVA - CLT trip and it worked flawlessly. It also includes a stereo mini plug to go into the AUX input if the stereo has one, thereby negating the FM transmitter part. Tranzit Blu HF from iSimple. Lets you add bluetooth to pretty much any car stereo, no matter how old. The only thing you see, when installed, is the command button (dime-sized) and the microphone.

Seeking counseling for rust anxiety.
A056CCA1-DA5B-4470-9D6F-C0A91489E5A6.jpeg

I did this a couple years ago in the 80 but also took the ferry down to Ocracoke. It was fun for the kids and all but man... that sea spray. My truck looked like it was following one of those pre-treat brine trucks in winter. I immediately found a self wash station that had pressure to clean it all off.

You should be DX-ing and working on your sunburn, not stressing about a little rust.

Hmmmmm. I will consider your offer. Give me about 25 years to think about it.

Besides, you grew up in the 60's...what makes you think you'll outlast that truck, or even still have your wits about you in 25 years?

I'm never going to the beach again once my '94 leaves this world. Maybe not even the coast. But I'm told you can eke out a few more years by not dunking them in the briny water year after year. Wish I had followed that advice. Maybe I can make a few bucks renting it out to folks who want to drive on the beach?

Many years ago we came across some guys in an FJ40 mudding through sand/water on the eastern shore while exploring in my first nice vehicle (somewhat capable off-road but no Land Cruiser). It was pretty long and deep, but I wanted to try it. When I asked them if they thought I could make it, they said 'no, but give it a shot, we'll pull you out' 😆

I did make it through without getting stuck, then went straight to the car wash and literally spent hours cleaning the undercarriage. My poor truck still rusted away to nothing. That's the main reason for my rust-phobia.

Coincidentally, I think that was the day I decided I want a Land Cruiser.

Me too, never again!

Was running nine miles up and down the OBX to Carola for a week in my fj62.
Lost the e-brake cable within a week and who knows how much of the rust I fight today is from splashing through the surf back then. Was fun tho :steer:

Back in the early 90s, I banded birds on Dog Island in the Gulf of Mexico. The Nature Conservancy owned a good portion of the island, the other half was owned by very wealthy folks with beach homes. The only access to the island was by a two-car ferry, or by private airplane. Many people who had homes there had pilot licenses, so they they permanently kept vehicles on the island for when they flew in, and many of them were FJ40s. This was 25 years ago, so they were much newer then, but they rusted way just the same as you might imagine. But I suppose they were there because they started after months of sitting.

Recieved some packages today... tech day help?

20190619_121127.jpg

Me too, never again!

Was running nine miles up and down the OBX to Carola for a week in my fj62.
Lost the e-brake cable within a week and who knows how much of the rust I fight today is from splashing through the surf back then. Was fun tho :steer:

Wow! That was some aggressive salt water to rust out a certainly pristine brake cable with in a week! Wa-pa-CHOW!

There's a dealer selling tracked wheelchairs near Madison, VA.

Yeah, I've thought about stopping by that place every time I go past, but never seem to have time to stop when they are open.

Those Mattracks are an interesting idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom